Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Souls is absolutely an RPG, explanation

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There are two categories of people:

1) Those who think that Dark Souls is an action RPG.
2) Those who think that Dark Souls is an action game with RPG elements.

3) Those who don't give a fuck about retarded questions.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Nowadays, when I read "action game with RPG elements", I think of a synonymous of "mainstream casual game".

Harthwain

Magister
Dark Souls is mainstream hardcore game. Everybody knows that.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Souls is a ARPG, just like Gothic. What is not a action role playing game is the barbie dressing games like Diablo 3 and Albion online where your character is nothing but a clone of everyone else of the same class and your char muscle mass/IQ is 100% tied to the boot that he is wearing.

In fact, let them maintain that stance - a Japanese non-RPG series did quests, combat, world building, character building, exploration, and a sense of both wonder and reward better than any "real" RPG this millennium. Bunch of fucking troglodytes, I swear.

Sekiro is the unique FS game who isn't a RPG and even sekiro, has more RPG on it than any post wow mmo that i know.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
- Can kill any character any time, suffer the consequences. The game will continue.
- Narrative not explicit, which confuses some people? Implicit and emergent narrative, very rich lore, very interesting main story and all characters you meet also have a story that develops throughout the game
- Quests: often implicitly given, no quest compass, no quest journal, resolutions are hard to find, lots of hidden resolutions that you can read about later
- LOTS OF stats and numbers
- Choices and consequences, multiple game endings
- Super rich combat system, the possibilities are endless, the amount of builds is endless, richer than NWN.
- Multiplayer system allows for more role playing than you can imagine. I once got invaded in the Catacombs by a girl with a torch. She followed me around, lighting up the place, and showed me secrets. Then in the end pointed to the floor, asking for a compensation. I dropped her a humanity and off she went. Where else can you encounter something like this? And the lore absolutely supports all of that.

What confuses people:
- Silent protagonist: You don't talk back during dialogues, you only listen to what they say and occasionally can pick a "yes" or "no", which affects how the character will proceed with you. It's a silent protagonist routine. And why not?
- Combat is real time without pause, i.e. it's an action-RPG. But there's a lot more RPG than action, e.g. you can make a build that will barely depend on reaction time at all. Is this system your sticking point?

That all sounds good.. but I can't romance all the npc's. Checkmate Ruskie.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
the amount of builds is endless, richer than NWN.
:nocountryforshitposters:
rating_retarded.png
retadred x 1
Cat Dude

Why retarded? NWN has 11 classes plus a bunch of heroic and prestige classes, and everything can be multiclassed however you want. And that's not including all the custom content classes and custom spells etc... Also a lot of classes can be built in multiple ways too.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Dark Souls is mainstream hardcore game. Everybody knows that.
Pikmin 3 on the WiiU is way more hardcore than dark souls ever was. Time limit, death had consequences instead of just respawn and do it again, messing up has consequences, there's resource management. Dark souls is the game that casuals like to use just to prove that they're hardcore.

I actually really like the games though. Wouldn't consider them hardcore and the rpg elements are too lite so I would consider it an action game with rpg mechanics on the side, the same way skyrim is an action game with puzzle mechanics on the side because occasionally you dick around with assigning more str or some faith then best anything with developed player skill anyways

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
In my 'umble opinion RPG is the genre when player is given a choice and this choice matters. Let's take Fallout for example - most people here agree that it's an RPG, innit? Character creation screen - where you given choices in the form of stats, skills, traits. Does it matter? Yes, it will severely affect your gameplay. Then you are thrown in the outside world - and given choices where to go. Vault 15? Shady Sands? Or make it straight to Junktown or even Hub? In each town player presented with the selection of quests. And again - choices: what quests to take, what side to pick, in what way resolve this quests. Small choices along the way: kill people, avoid fights or talk them down? Do you want to take Rad-X to The Glow or you want to permanently fuck up your character? Do you want to talk down Master, just straight out waste him or skip the encounter altogether? The holy trinity of RPG games - Kill, Steal and Talk (or Combat, Stealth and Diplomacy if you fancy) is what it actually comes down to - choice and solution.

That's why, for example, Stalker is not an RPG - despite the presence of NPCs, factions, quests, complex A-Life, locations and other stuff player given very little choice and all boils down to combat. That's why Fallout 3 is a shitty RPG, with game focusing heavily on combat and cutting down steal and talk parts. Dark Souls games are right in this ballpark, when game has some RPG elements, but is an action game at it's core.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bitch please

latest
Ah, the mighty captain Nathaniel Joseph Claw!

I still haven't finished this fucking game. Now I'm going to reinstall it, I will have a blast through the amazing gem that this game is and then I will get inevitably stuck around the Temple level.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The highest of IQ takes: Dark Souls is a classic Metroidvania in the style of Symphony of the Night but with 3d action combat instead of 2d.

Citizen

Pikmin 3 on the WiiU is way more hardcore than dark souls ever was. Time limit, death had consequences instead of just respawn and do it again, messing up has consequences, there's resource management. Dark souls is the game that casuals like to use just to prove that they're hardcore.

People forget that DS is a hardcore ACTION game. Of course it doesn't have the complexity levels of grognard wargames like Gasry Grigsby series or require the same lighting-fast tactical decision making and brain multitasking like competitive RTS. But as far as action games go, DS is kinda hardcore and it never really pretended to be more that it is, it's the retarded casual fanbase that acts like they are the hardest games ever and brags about beating a game (lol) every corner

Good taste for playing pikmin3 tho

Citizen

The highest of IQ takes: Dark Souls is a classic Metroidvania in the style of Symphony of the Night but with 3d action combat instead of 2d.

So it's just Zelda/Soul Reaver with minimum puzzles and more focus on combat?

Wunderbar

Arcane
the most important element of every metroid-like game is gating progress through items/abilities. Dark Souls gates stuff through keys, hence it's not a metroid-like.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

So it's just Zelda/Soul Reaver with minimum puzzles and more focus on combat?

Never played Soul Reaver, but the difference between Zelda and Dark Souls (apart from the latter having level ups) is that the level design is a lot more claustrophobic. Dark Souls throws you in one long interconnected dungeon a la Draculas Castle, with different areas. Zelda has you traversing an area based world which often leads you into dungeons. Where the comparison becomes autistic is that Dark Souls rarely has upgrades which are actually needed to open new areas, except stuff like Thieves Keys. But that was my point, Dark Souls was a genremix, to the point where it spawned a new genre. It is pointless trying to shoehorn it into seperate genres.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom