Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DarkSpyre

DStich87

Novice
Good job!

What was the ending?

(and you met any NPC? And who was lord Borel?)

You can see Borel's name at the top of the Hall of the Humble (aka the high scores, aka the people who died). On the last level (Magic), the God says that Borel and Chesschantra (whom I don't think is listed in the Hall) both made it to Magic but both failed.

As for the ending, it went by kinda fast so I didn't get is all written down. But its similar in appearance to you dying with the 3 heads of the Gods floating and saying, “Well fought champion. You have earned the right to survive. Not only for yourself, for the your world. Lead it true and teach it the knowledge you have gained for we will take our leave of you for now. But who knows when we shall return.”

And then the screen goes black and takes you to the start menu.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
So it will be mystery why daughter of Chesschantra is angry over supposed "Borel betrayal" and what realy happened with this Borel, why people angry at him, that she was hunted for by people - thus starting Summoner's plotline.

If only some moron didnt cut out 17 pages of "crap" from Darkspyre manual.

Maybe someone still have Darkspyre manual? And can scan it.

DStich87

Novice
So it will be mystery why daughter of Chesschantra is angry over supposed "Borel betrayal" and what realy happened with this Borel, why people angry at him, that she was hunted for by people - thus starting Summoner's plotline.

If only some moron didnt cut out 17 pages of "crap" from Darkspyre manual.

Maybe someone still have Darkspyre manual? And can scan it.

I would also like to read the Novelette and would absolutely love to read the clue booklet "the secrets of darkspyre." Whoever put up the manual information at least did that - it's so hard to find information about the game (though I have seen sites advertising a downloadable version of the manual but you have to buy a day pass - and who knows if it's the real manual).

Knowing what it takes to complete Darkspyre, and that Chesschantra's name on the top scores (Borel, who lived from -15 to 20, has 35,000 points, next is sprig, adam, warmonger - the name of the sword in the summoning - and Jessica) I hypothesize that Chesschantra, some how, managed to leave the Darkspyre without completing it.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Of cause, she did. Its clear from the Summoning manual.

http://www.jaelus.com/thesummoning/files/manual.txt

What i am trying to figure is this.

"Are you unaware of the history?" he asked, looking to the images within the sphere. He blessed himself. "Borel was the
traitor who brought the anger of the Three upon us. He incurred their wrath by his eager demands."

p.s. Dont pay to download manual, it will be in "short" version.
Need to find someone who still owns this manual in paper...

DStich87

Novice
I googled DarkSpyre and Dark spyre for images and found someone who posted that they have the complete game (no idea when they posted the pic), so I asked them if they could make scans/pic of the novellette.

I've submitted my walkthrough to gamefaqs (had to reformat the whole thing). Aside from Intellect, I'm pretty happy with the descriptions.

DStich87

Novice
Well the walkthtough is up, though it seems gamefaqs used it to replace my general guide.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I am waiting for it - novellette, myself. Without it, probably storyline both for DS and the Summoning would be incomplete.

DStich87

Novice
Thanks.

No luck on the novellette. I got no response (2 months) from someone who posted a pic of the game w/box (no idea when they even posted the pic). Made a post on FAQs board, but it was deleted. I'll keep an eye out, but really don't have anything more to go on in finding a copy.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Pity.
Chesschantra
She climbed Darkspyre too? So, another reason for Shadow Weaver to be pissed by the world.
Great job with the FAQ, DStich87.

DStich87

Novice
Pity.
Chesschantra
She climbed Darkspyre too? So, another reason for Shadow Weaver to be pissed by the world.
Great job with the FAQ, DStich87.

Thanks. Probably be the only FAQ I ever do (the formatting was more annoying than anything). Though I did enjoy solving everything correctly (save "intellect") and actually beating the game. Also did find out that Chesschantra and Borel made it to the final floor, but Borel didn't pass it and Chesschantra escaped, SPOILER AHEAD: which I assume she did to maintain her magic powers , as you have to sacrifice your spell book to open a gate.

Sadly, the game has little replay value as you have to master most of the various classes to complete the game (so no point in trying again with a different character).

http://mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=darkspyre At least one can look at the cover to the novelette and, probably, even more rare clue booklet.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The same website has links for The Summoning manual and cluebook as well.
http://www.mocagh.org/ssi/summoning-manual.pdf
http://www.mocagh.org/ssi/summoning-cluebook.pdf

I'm going to have to go through it and look for other oldies manuals.

Edity edit: They have a TON of oldies manuals! Vast majority I've never seen anywhere. They even have scans of the Apple II and TSR-80 Epyx spinoffs of Temple of Apshai :lol:
Lots of other good stuff too like the Magic Candle manuals, and so on. Highly recommended for a trip down memory lane.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fucketh me, four iron keys used in the prison below Broken Seal Three was dropped by one of skeletons, but I don't saw them behind the ladder in spite of using magnify. So ivory key for door on this level (alternatively acessible by Rajdo) was in one of the cells. Oh joy!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
We need a rebuttal and some Codexian drama... and I'm bored.

This is what CRPGAddict has to say as per the link Whisper put up:

The final score of 30, quite low, reflects my opinion that the game really isn't a good CRPG. Since the puzzles are far more difficult than the foes that you defeat in combat, it's much more a puzzle game with an RPG façade. I liked the combat and skill development, and I think there's a place for a third-person perspective with a Dungeon Master approach to skills and combat, but this wasn't it.

Somewhere around the middle of the game, remembering her praise of The Dark Heart of Uukrul's abstract puzzles and her disdain for any actual story or dialogue in games, I thought "I'll bet frequent RPGCodex contributor Crooked Bee loved this game," and I wasn't disappointed. In a March 2012 thread, she said it was one of her favorite games, "maybe even the favorite one." So there you go. I'll leave them to their levers and pressure plates and get back to my NPCs, economies, and role-playing options."

And this is what Crooked Bee really said:

I've played it. I even owned a copy many years ago, but then lost the box and stuff. It's one of my favourite games of this kind, or maybe even the favourite one. Unfortunately, I haven't replayed it in quite some time, so if you're looking for gameplay advice or other particulars, I'm afraid I can't help you there. The only impression I can share is that it's great fun, and the puzzles are good.

I too have been looking for a good pdf copy of the manual everywhere, but to no avail. I've also been looking for the official Strategy Guide, but it seems to be impossible to find as well. I posted a request on Underground Gamer a while ago, but nobody replied. Must be really rare stuff.

Now all that is left is for me to summon Crooked Bee

pentagram_named.gif

There... that should do it...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, yeah, it looks like he missed "of this kind" and made it sound like it was my favorite game of 'em all. Also lol @ "disdain for story and dialogue". But whatever. I don't really follow his blog so I don't feel like that's important enough to warrant any drama. Sorry :(

As for his taste in RPGs... well yeah, that's why I don't follow his blog in the first place.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
As for his taste in RPGs... well yeah, that's why I don't follow his blog in the first place.

ooh, feel that burn
Highest Rated So Far:

Ultima V
Pool of Radiance
The Dark Heart of Uukrul
Might & Magic I
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Might & Magic II
Champions of Krynn
Ultima IV
Starflight
Omega
Wasteland
Hero's Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero
Starflight II
Pretty good list though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom