Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider leaves BioWare

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, DA2 had amazing writing, especially by Gaider.

Don't you remember Fenris? He was the awesome dark, brooding, moody, and amnesic elf who was part of the Weapon X experiments that gave him ultra rad glowing tattoos and super powers and he wielded a buster sword! Also, his name meant 'wolf', how cool is that? You can only get that sort of quality character from the best Dragon Age fan fiction.

Sothpaw

Learned
And your evidence for this is what exactly?

Check out how EA's stock did since Inquisition was released.

Thing is, there is an opportunity cost to making another Dragon Age game. EA sees Skyrim and FO4 numbers and will do whatever it takes to get there. I don't know DAI's numbers but it clearly is nowhere near Bethesda's games.

He himself delivers some epic quotes.
WzMxBCD.jpg

o19Hiek.png

Wow what a hateful little shit. Kinda surprised EA allows his racist rants. Then again shitting on whites is perfectly fine to the SJW media so no surprise at all.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Don't you remember Fenris? He was the awesome dark, brooding, moody, and amnesic elf who was part of the Weapon X experiments that gave him ultra rad glowing tattoos and super powers and he wielded a buster sword! Also, his name meant 'wolf', how cool is that? You can only get that sort of quality character from the best Dragon Age fan fiction.

Fenris was an obvious jRPG influence cropping up where it didn't quite belong, but at least you had the option of wiping his mind and selling him back into slavery. That, or smash his old master into a bloody pulp. Unlike in Dragon Age: Inquisition, where you can convince Dorian to either forgive his father for trying to wizard away the gay or not forgive his father for trying to wizard away the gay. Oh.

That's the difference I'm talking about when people put DAII alongside DA:I in terms of writing. DAII was still plenty Dark Fantasy with setting/period appropriate scenarios, whereas DA:I went full derp.

I'd also suggest Fenris wasn't that bad of a character in spite of those excesses.

Last edited:

Eh, Fenris was an emo jrpg reject, but at least he had a healthy stance on mages. He wasn't even a pinnacle of Gaider's :decline:. Now this one though:
59O8Mso.png

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Thing is, there is an opportunity cost to making another Dragon Age game. EA sees Skyrim and FO4 numbers and will do whatever it takes to get there. I don't know DAI's numbers but it clearly is nowhere near Bethesda's games.

Patrick Weekes is the DA writing lead though, and they're not going to keep him employed to work on nothing. If the next DA fails to expand their audience there might be cause for concern, but that isn't the case now.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If EA wants Bethesda sales numbers they have to abandon Dragon Age. Metacritic would get torpedoed by people who would hate revisions like dropping party-driven mechanics (which mainstream casuals don't find fun) in favor of a PC with a single computer controlled companion, third to first person, etc.

Elzair

Cipher
Maybe he'll resume posting on the Codex, like Chris did. I am sure the community will welcome him with open arms.
When did MCA start posting on the 'dex?

While I (deservedly) gave Gaider's books and games a lot of flack, I found him to be a swell chap when I met him, so I hope he lands on his feet.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
In before he teams up with MCA to create a new studio. ;)

Yeah. He could screw everything MCA would writte... It would be as amazing as Hindenburg.
Oh c'mon guys, if it's all managed well, Gaider wouldn't be in the role of writing.

Yeah, but would it really improve things? I think that the this whole industry is litered with names, which show no results in the isolation. Which means that most known people are highly overated/took credit for someone elses work or have 0 control over serious projects/decisions. I am not talking specifically about David here, but I am disillusioned.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Yeah. He could screw everything MCA would writte... It would be as amazing as Hindenburg.
Oh c'mon guys, if it's all managed well, Gaider wouldn't be in the role of writing.

Yeah, but would it really improve things? I think that the this whole industry is litered with names, which show no results in the isolation. Which means that most known people are highly overated/took credit for someone elses work or have 0 control over serious projects/decisions. I am not talking specifically about David here, but I am disillusioned.
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Ascension

Black

Arcane

Yeah, but would it really improve things? I think that the this whole industry is litered with names, which show no results in the isolation.
I have to agree, I myself up til recently have been hopeful for people in this industry who haven't made anything good for years and have more in common now with has beens like LB than the good devs they oncer were.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, but would it really improve things? I think that the this whole industry is litered with names, which show no results in the isolation.
I have to agree, I myself up til recently have been hopeful for people in this industry who haven't made anything good for years and have more in common now with has beens like LB than the good devs they oncer were.
Well the point is that those "litter of names" haven't left their companies. Gaider has. Unless you convince them to leave (like Boyarsky, who is still with Blizzard, which I mentioned), you don't got nobody to choose from.

Hadn't he also made some mod for Victoria 1? Or am I misremembering this? Google gives me nothing, save that he definitly plays the series:
David Gaider: Between writing at work and writing at home, I have less time to play than I’d like. When I do, it’s either an RPG that I play for analytical purposes (Fallout: New Vegas was the last RPG I played, over the Christmas break, and I enjoyed it immensely) or it’s something completely different just to give myself a break. Currently I’m playing a strategy game called Victoria II made by Paradox Interactive. Can’t get more different than that, I suppose.
[src]
so I'm not sure about the mod though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Hadn't he also made some mod for Victoria 1? Or am I misremembering this? Google gives me nothing, save that he definitly plays the series:
David Gaider: Between writing at work and writing at home, I have less time to play than I’d like. When I do, it’s either an RPG that I play for analytical purposes (Fallout: New Vegas was the last RPG I played, over the Christmas break, and I enjoyed it immensely) or it’s something completely different just to give myself a break. Currently I’m playing a strategy game called Victoria II made by Paradox Interactive. Can’t get more different than that, I suppose.
[src]
so I'm not sure about the mod though.
I dunno.

But I wasn't clear before... I didn't mean that I think Gaider is the best. Just that now that he has left, he is an opportunity. There are better designers, but they're still employed, and I wasn't trying to engage in hypotheticals.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

So he made a mod. He and million other people make mods... Sorry, but I am not impressed. One thing is improving other peoples work, the other thing is creating stuff from scratch. A lot of Ks projects showed that. Would the Mod for would also be good if he would have made it for vanila Neverwinter nights 2? He had a good base to start from.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

So he made a mod. He and million other people make mods... Sorry, but I am not impressed. One thing is improving other peoples work, the other thing is creating stuff from scratch. A lot of Ks projects showed that. Would the Mod for would also be good if he would have made it for vanila Neverwinter nights 2? He had a good base to start from.
Yeah, he made a mod for BG2 Throne of Baal, which he also designed.

Edit: Oh, he designed for BG2. Heh.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If EA wants Bethesda sales numbers they have to abandon Dragon Age. Metacritic would get torpedoed by people who would hate revisions like dropping party-driven mechanics (which mainstream casuals don't find fun) in favor of a PC with a single computer controlled companion, third to first person, etc.

That is why EA/BioWare are now working on a new "Open World™" RPG with a new original IP. They think they can make a Skyrim killer (or at least equivalent sales).

I don't think they will pull it off though (Skyrim's Sales numbers).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, he made a mod for BG2 Throne of Baal, which he also designed.

Edit: Oh, he designed for BG2. Heh.
Oh, and he was the lead designed for Hordes of the Underdark, for NWN1.

(Funnily enough he was the writer for SoU, the first expansion for NWN1, and that wasn't as good as HotU, where he was the lead designer)

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminder.

FlTTr96.jpg
That's in relation to C&C and writing and shit. Which he is shit at.

Ascension is hardcore dungeon combat. The smart thing to do would be to shove Gaider away from anything besides combat.

And robots. Robots at least can be rebuilded.

Also, this quote is missing best quote I saw. Something like "Well, now convince me how she recovered from that I CUT HER FUCKING HEAD OFF.'

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Reminder.

FlTTr96.jpg
That's in relation to C&C and writing and shit. Which he is shit at.

Ascension is hardcore dungeon combat. The smart thing to do would be to shove Gaider away from anything besides combat.

And robots. Robots at least can be rebuilded.

Also, this quote is missing best quote I saw. Something like "Well, now convince me how she recovered from that I CUT HER FUCKING HEAD OFF.'
I stopped reading the quotes when I saw the word "Leliana."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom