Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News David Gaider's reaction to Rock, Paper, Shotgun preview

Lesifoere

Liturgist
aries202 said:
-ehm-

I think you're missing the big picture here. There are ancient gods sleeping eternally deep inside the caverns beneath Fereldan soil. The old gods are gone now, except for maybe 7 or 8 that still sleeps.

When the Blight happens, it is the Darkspawn that awakens the Dragon, the old God, they corrupt this old god to become the Archdemon. After each defeated Blight, one of the old Dragons, the Archdemon, dies. And then the countdown begins. How many old Gods are there left now ?

Does anyone really care about the specifics of the "plot"? Not to channel Skyway, but "ancient evil arises, you must repel it and save the kingdom!!!!" is stupid banal shit no matter how you spin it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The "ancient evil" trope can be used to good effect though, look at MotB. Big difference in that game is that it threatens you in the first place and then the rest of the world.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, Gaider has become upset about gaemin' dzhournalizm and instead of venting like a real man puts up some diplofagomatic demur that looks like a cute emo kid's bitching about ''teh cruel world''.

Rosh

Erudite
Gnidrologist said:
So, Gaider has become upset about gaemin' dzhournalizm and instead of venting like a real man puts up some diplofagomatic demur that looks like a cute emo kid's bitching about ''teh cruel world''.

It's so exponentially unfair!

kris

Arcane
circ said:
Ok first off, I know I whined about the slow as hell running in Drakensang, but how in the name of Bob do you run like a track star with full platemail?

I know a guy that ran 10 kilometers with 10 kilo weights on just to get better training. that is about a plate mail in weight. yes, it will impend you somewhat and it is harder, but is very possible.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
kris said:
I know a <s>guy</s> moron that ran 10 kilometers with 10 kilo weights on just to <s>get better training</s> increase his chance of knee and ankle injuries. that is about a plate mail in weight. yes, it will impend you somewhat and it is <s>harder</s> stupid, but is very possible.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I can't imagine anyone running very far with knight's armor on. It's not just that the armor weighs a lot, but depending on the helmet, I can imagine it being very hard to breathe in.

denizsi

Arcane
There was a video on YouTube, of a guy doing all kinds of acrobatics wearing full plate mail.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
History professors never get tired of dispelling this myth.

But more spot on: who cares? Really?

Rosh

Erudite
Hobo Elf said:
I can't imagine anyone running very far with knight's armor on. It's not just that the armor weighs a lot, but depending on the helmet, I can imagine it being very hard to breathe in.

Having worn full plate myself a couple of times, I can tell you that it's really easy to breathe in a helmet. That is why they usually have venting in the faceguard. Also, plate doesn't constrict the torso anywhere as much as leather or brigandine, though it weighs more on the shoulders.

circ

Arcane
Ok an experienced person can move around in platemail decently. But that doesn't excuse how the demo shows a guy running around constantly like he's wearing nothing but a tracksuit. Plus he's also got a 5 lbs sword on his back to boot. A retardedly oversized one that's probably supposed to weigh 30 lbs but hey, BioWare is compensating.

flushfire

Augur
janjetina said:
kris said:
I know a <s>guy</s> moron that ran 10 kilometers with 10 kilo weights on just to <s>get better training</s> increase his chance of knee and ankle injuries. that is about a plate mail in weight. yes, it will impend you somewhat and it is <s>harder</s> stupid, but is very possible.
full football gear weighs almost as much. do you also think the players are stupid morons, running around with that weight?
circ said:
Ok an experienced person can move around in platemail decently. But that doesn't excuse how the demo shows a guy running around constantly like he's wearing nothing but a tracksuit. Plus he's also got a 5 lbs sword on his back to boot. A retardedly oversized one that's probably supposed to weigh 30 lbs but hey, BioWare is compensating.
next we'll be complaining daggers, shortswords and regular arrows can't really penetrate full plate. or that our PCs don't eat, bath or change clothes. why, let's complain that dragons and magic don't really exist.

id rather have unbelievably athletic movement than being bored to death watching my hero realistically "run" slowly just to get around a fence like in drakensang.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
flushfire said:
janjetina said:
kris said:
full football gear weighs almost as much. do you also think the players are stupid morons, running around with that weight?

Real men who play football don't wear armour at all. Only those US pussies armour themselves up. Google: Rugby.

flushfire

Augur
unarmored == real RPG men
1166286840_Vaan.jpg

Shannow

Waster of Time
When this came up I looked up full plate armour on wikipedia and it said it weighs between 20-30 kilos. Heavy, restricting but by no means incapacitating. When I was in the army we carried 20 kg packs for ca 10 km. Only to then train. Sometimes with, sometimes without the packs. If draft dross like me can cope with that (and real special forces do much more with 50 kg packs) then someone who trained a lot in armour could easily run around in it for a while.
That aside. In a game any kind of movement restriction because of encumbrance or low stamina outside of combat is crap anyway.

circ

Arcane
Ok. In Drakensang there's this dwarf groupmate that eventually will have a full set of heavy looking dwarven fullplate on him, and he will run with these fruity little steps like some kind of fruity little dwarf. But that's ok. It looks believable. It looks medieval. I could name any other game with fullplate and chances are it would say the same. Except DA. It just looks wrong. It's like he dropped off at the local cyberpunk fullplate with extra shoulderpadding shop from the 80s and started running around. It just looks bad. And wrong. And unbelievable.

I don't care so much about realism. But everything in DA just looks fucked up.

Rosh

Erudite
circ said:
Except DA. It just looks wrong. It's like he dropped off at the local cyberpunk fullplate with extra shoulderpadding shop from the 80s and started running around. It just looks bad. And wrong. And unbelievable.

I don't care so much about realism. But everything in DA just looks fucked up.

Good observation, and I have to draw a parallel.

Remember the movie Conan the Barbarian, and the outfits used there? REAL leather armor!

Pretty much after that, in particularly with Sciffy and other productions, leather armor has most often resembled something based upon anything that could be swiped from an S&M warehouse clothing rack.

The sad part is when it bled over into video games as well.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
And speaking of shoulderpads, the ones in DA make WoW look moderate. At the very least, most of the ones on WoW are fairly proportional to the character wearing it. The ones in that screenshot with the fake French-accented redhead are... not.

1eyedking

Erudite
Black said:
This is the new shit!
Stand up and admit!
Do you get it? NO!
Do you want it? YEAH!
Hm, now that I think of it, Bioware has made fun of its public.

Interesting.

He's a Warrior guy in a magic fantasy setting. If a real person can run comfortably in full plate, then he can jump around like a chimp. Dragging around just bores me. Taris in Kotor was terrible for me because everytime I had to go through that long ass hub full of people and sith walking around I sigh'd loudly.

And speaking of shoulderpads, the ones in DA make WoW look moderate. At the very least, most of the ones on WoW are fairly proportional to the character wearing it. The ones in that screenshot with the fake French-accented redhead are... not.

Then again, WoW uses a cartoonish style and can't really be compared to DA.

wow_paladin_22.jpg

paladin.jpg

Rhalle

Magister
Lesifoere said:

When DA was in the planning stages years ago we forumites got the devs to agree to realistic armors and weapons. Clearly they did that, but then played lots of WoW in the interim.

No doubt the party mechanics will reflect that as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom