Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2: Retribution Beta

Multi-headed Cow

Konjad said:
Played one game on MP so far and iit was... okay... for an RTS. Gonna play more though. I've played with fucking laggers so my enjoyment was limited.
Protip, play team games. Much more fun than 1 vs 1.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played Tyranids, they were okay.
Played Space Marines, they sucked.
Played Eldars and they were super awesome :) Damn, sending a small group of vehicle units ahead, supported by even smaller group of infrantry units and an artillery unit is instant-win :)

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the next phase of the BETA has started and MAN there's a lot of Noobs playing right now.

Playing vs People that do not know how to dodge stick bombers are a GREAT source of entertainment for me.

Multi-headed Cow

Was playing a 3 v 3 with two bros earlier. We were winning 500 tickets to 50. Enemy team turned it around and won. I want to die.

Moral of the story is my IG ass was useless against IG and SM (Techmarine) building about 5 turrets just outside the one exit to my base, so most of the match involved me probing their defenses while tickets counted down and it looked like we were gonna win. Then SURPRISE SURPRISE they start taking over VPs since I'm walled off and mostly helpless, and we never recovered. At one point an enemy landraider was fighting a friendly landraider, a leman russ with the electroballs upgrade, and a baneblade. The friendly landraider retreated, and the russ and baneblade both got killed.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Destroid said:
Have they increased the unit cap or something to fit such powerful units in?

No, the unit cap is the same. They say it's to make you choose between large amounts of squads or a few squads and some super-units. The problem is that there's no choice involved, a few squads + super-unit > many squads.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Multi-headed Cow said:
Was playing a 3 v 3 with two bros earlier. We were winning 500 tickets to 50. Enemy team turned it around and won. I want to die.

Moral of the story is my IG ass was useless against IG and SM (Techmarine) building about 5 turrets just outside the one exit to my base, so most of the match involved me probing their defenses while tickets counted down and it looked like we were gonna win. Then SURPRISE SURPRISE they start taking over VPs since I'm walled off and mostly helpless, and we never recovered. At one point an enemy landraider was fighting a friendly landraider, a leman russ with the electroballs upgrade, and a baneblade. The friendly landraider retreated, and the russ and baneblade both got killed.

Why did you not get a Manticore and blow the fuck out of there defences and THEN drive some units though what ever gap you make in there line.

Now i am more of a Ork player and we do have some issues fighting suppression/turrets in tier 1 also, but after i get to tier 2 all that goes away.

A deff Dread, Tank busters, Wierdboy and so on will bring them down.

With IG in tier 2 you have Manticore, Chimera and Upgraded Sentinel and they will bring down a few turrets easy.

Also in tier 1 in you use the inquisitor Hero you can get the first armour upgrade and make a squad infiltrate.
Do that to your standard Guard squad with flamers and then they can walk extremely close to a defence line and most likely take down a Turret with no issues and then you run away reinforce and repeat.

Multi-headed Cow

I was under the impression manticores did fuck all damage against turrets. When I was fucking around with IG in comp stomp I used one on the turrets defending a base, and the manicore didn't do much. I guess they might be more effective against regular turrets.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Multi-headed Cow said:
I was under the impression manticores did fuck all damage against turrets. When I was fucking around with IG in comp stomp I used one on the turrets defending a base, and the manicore didn't do much. I guess they might be more effective against regular turrets.

Yeah base turrets are stronger then the ones you make in the field and the manticore and EVERY other artillery unit has reduced damage vs the base turrets.

There are 2 different types of turrets that can be built.

The ones IG make and the ones every one else makes.

The IG ones are weaker in both HP and in the fact that they do not Suppress, but on the ohter hand they are cheap and they only cost 150 req.

The turrets made by Plague Marine, Ork Mek and Tech Marine are stronger over all. They cost 200 Req and 30 power and they suppress.

In terms of pure DPS they are about the same and the close you are the harder they hit.

Multi-headed Cow

Mangoose said:
Actually you've got two teammates that should've helped you take out those turrets.
I actually said HEY GUYS I'M GETTING SEALED OFF IN MY BASE and they told me that was cool and to keep doing what I was doing since I was "keeping the other players busy". That worked when we got them down to 50 tickets, and then bit us in the ass when they started pushing the VPs and they had a big portion of the map locked up tight.

And I'll have to keep that in mind CrimsonAngel. Manicore might be more useful if it could take out turrets for me. I think next time I play I'll most likely try that horrible IG turret rush bullshit though. I won't have a friendly techmarine backing me up with suppression turrets, but I might be able to squeeze a HWT in there to deny a good portion of map early on.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Well if you are going to do that then her are a few pointers for you and ideas

Now 1 or 2 Turrets can be usefull if built in the right positions, but if you go over board YOU will lack the pure capping power and mobility of an extra squad.

Get a bunker for you HWT, but ONLY if you can afford trap for it.

When it comes to Heroes i would go for the Inquisitor she has a ton of Crowd Control ability that will really work great in tandem with turrets.

Multi-headed Cow

Inquisitor eh? Haven't really tried her yet. I liked the commissar's god damn ridiculous artillery ability (Which is T3 unfortunately) and his execute an enemy soldier (Especially against SM) ability. Lord general seems vaguely nice with grenade launchers, and seems to have the best command abilities.

Played another game this evening and tried doing turrets. Didn't work out well, was trying to hold an area with one turret, one guardsmen squad, and lord general against something like 3 guardsmen squads, general, and sentinel. Eventually managed to lock up the middle VP and thought we were still in the game until the enemy player called in creeping artillery and decimated our defenses, then they got a wraithlord and oh god I hate everything why am I so terrible at everything I hate life.

Topher

Cipher
I've always comp stomped in lan games but I'll give online a go. Feel free to add me, Topherunhinged.

Topher

Cipher
Meh, I ended up playing a few games with a friend and we both remembered why we hated the skirmish in DoW 2 so much. Maybe if some of you guys end up playing over steam I'll give it another go but until then I'm going to have to pass. I really want to like the skirmish but I just don't. At least I'll have campaign when the full game comes out.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Topher said:
Meh, I ended up playing a few games with a friend and we both remembered why we hated the skirmish in DoW 2 so much. Maybe if some of you guys end up playing over steam I'll give it another go but until then I'm going to have to pass. I really want to like the skirmish but I just don't. At least I'll have campaign when the full game comes out.

We are playing over steam. Hamachi's just for chatting.

Multi-headed Cow

Ogryn are nuts. Took out something like 3-4 chaos dreads, a manticore, and 2 chaos preds with one squad of ogryn, with a bone ead, and lord general with melta using his shout power*. The enemy players weren't terribly good though. Weren't careful enough with their vehicles.

*Two squads of guardsmen with sergeant, commissar, and plasma rifles were occasionally around too. Also occasionally some friendly chaos. And for a brief while a HWT with sergeant and autocannon. BUT IT WAS MAINLY THE OGRYN I SWEAR

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reject_666_6 said:
Topher said:

We are playing over steam. Hamachi's just for chatting.

why not use rpgcodex's chat room on the Steam then?

Already learnt to hate Sentinels with a passion :x

Still won every game after I stopped disconnecting. Taking down a Baneblade with just an Autarch made me feel real :smug:

So far Imperial Guard seem a good addition to the roster - they offer something completely different to what every existing race does.

Topher

Cipher
I played a few more lan games today and they really need to make unit cap higher. I'd be happy if they just gave me the option to make it higher myself in the lobby.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom