Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online is free now

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Destroid

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
First thing I've noticed looking at the Wiki is that there's a lot less room for uniqueness in everything.

Well that sucks, the only reason I'm getting this thing is to play around in the character creator.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Destroid said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
First thing I've noticed looking at the Wiki is that there's a lot less room for uniqueness in everything.

Well that sucks, the only reason I'm getting this thing is to play around in the character creator.
There's always Champions.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, if you want to toy with character creation, Champions is the best.

Anyway, managed to fix the damn launcher by changing some stuff on the ini.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
How can a company be so incompetent, FFS. They knew there would be a huge influx of players, should have prepared the servers for that.

Vaarna_Aarne

BROS I GOT IN AND JUST FINISHED THE TUTORIAL AS A CHARACTER I NAMED MISTER SILVER (trololol, but I think I made him look pretty cool within the constraints I faced)

Overall, the combat is a lot of fun, and the way you can run on walls and such is really cool. However, it's not good enough to make up for the rest of the game having shortcomings compared to the competition, most notably of course being the lack of customization.

Actually, I think I've got a really good comparison of the gameplay between this and Champions: Champions is essentially superhero Diablo with more mobility and build variation, for better or worse. DCUO on the other hand is like superhero Rune, which is pretty awesome.

Well, here's to hoping this will mean Cryptic will up the ante and add in freeform elements to archetypes and/or purchasable freeform slots.

EDIT: Ditto for Snails in Skyrim!

anus_pounder

Arcane
Purchasable freeform would be great. Thats essentially what I want a lifetime sub for. Hell, I don't mind if my freeform selections are limited to what the silver/gold archetypes already have.

Also, Vaarna, you were saying how the DC universe doesn't really work with 'the next hero is you' concept, right ? What about the Marvel Universe ?

Vaarna_Aarne

Same thing. It's because it's a setting that's already "occupied" so to speak, you're just a guest (or in best case, sidekick/minion) on the Justice League's (or in Marvel's case, Avengers') turf.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah. It's that way in any universe with established main characters. Like in World of Warcraft, for instance, you're always being assisted by powerful NPCs during important boss fights.

By the way, are US Servers back up or is it still infinite loading screen business?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Mmm well DC is a bit more unique in that it's centered more around the ethical/moral situations of its pantheon of - basically - gods.

Marvel is centered more on superhero conflicts on the socio-political arena.

Vaarna_Aarne

Actually, DC did that thing first too. One of the first actual comics to have superheroes try to change the status quo was a Captain Atom story where he destroyed the weapons of two forces fighting a civil war somewhere in Buttfuck, Africa. They just picked up sticks and stones and continued fighting.

Similarly during those years, Superman was once brought before court in Oa for being a negative influence on human evolution.

A more accurate thing would be to say that Spider-man is always getting emo over getting too much top-notch pussy, and recently all that inane Civil War bullshit. Seriously, ffs, Civil War was so fucking bad and hamfisted. You needed fucking Warren Ellis to salvage something good from it with his Thunderbolts run.

EDIT: Fuck, even second-string video game writers could easily make massive improvements to Civil War! (Ultimate Alliance 2)

EDIT2: Similarly, Marvel's present socio-political style is pretty much directly taking cue from WildStorm, but too Kwatriotic to do anything radical and interesting with it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I managed to play yesterday, got from level 1 to 9. Don't think it's your connection, just the game that is extremely unstable.

By the way, here's my character.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm on PvE. From what I hear you can switch server at any time on the faction base, so I'll level on PvE to avoid being camped by bored level 30 heroes.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Looks more than a little familiar...
Yes, but it's not intentional I swear. :lol:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Oho. Villain. Well, I guess I could create a new character. Need something that goes well with 'Citizen Soldier'. Whats a possible opposite for that ?

Vaarna_Aarne

I've got a Hero. I'm not sure if my Light/Hand Blaster Villain got through when I shut the game down as it tried to connect due to the usual fuckery it has trying to do that.

And yea Ex, I feel you man. The costume creator is aimed first and foremost towards creating knock-offs it seems.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Managed to log in, but I got queued. Position 5000 something. I think they may need more servers. Anyway, filled up my second slot with a fire/staff villain.

Vaarna_Aarne

Or they could try doing what Champions has, and have a proper instanced megaserver. Personally, I don't see why you would ever make an MMO that isn't on a single megaserver.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I think the reason 'WORLD DOWN' kept appearing on my hero was because I created her on the EU server and am trying to play (with you lot :salute:) on the US servers. Not a big deal, I'm only 7 levels in with that character. I'll delete-recreate later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom