Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online is free now

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Destroid

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Or they could try doing what Champions has, and have a proper instanced megaserver. Personally, I don't see why you would ever make an MMO that isn't on a single megaserver.

Because it doesn't work for latency sensitive action games.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I guess, though so far I don't see DCUO being *that* latency sensitive (besides, I'd wager the PvP aspect is gay). But in case of the traditional style there's no doubt about the benefits of a megaserver.

Destroid

Arcane
Yes, Eve for example doesn't suffer much from high pings but gains an awful lot from the single world. I was speaking about action games like Planetside.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It seems the game has some nasty glitch where my charge attacks don't work when I'm inside instanced areas. If I use charged blast my character gets locked in the charged position, I can't even move unless I use another non-charge attack.

Well, it seems it's a confirmed problem. At least I'm not the only one. :M

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I dunno how to add friends either, I know the social tab is O, but it only shows the league management thing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I really really really want to play this, but the queue and peak population is turning me off, I'll wait till they fix it before they login, but I haven't had that MMO craving for a long time. DCUO is really a case of stupid devs. If they had gone F2P BEFORE merging the servers, they would not arrive to this shitty situation.

RK47

Patron
Got my ass kicked by Teen Titans...fuck... I'll come back when I'm level 10 or something.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Added Excidia and Corporal Pun. Anymore villains ?

EDIT : Vaarna, press F1 while in-game. It'll open up a toolbar that allows you to take screenshots.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm launching the game now, I'll see if Cyberdread was registered succesfully (Handblaster/Light).

RK47

Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Does the game have a built-in screenshot function?

F9 key does it. hit level 10, NICE game. I sent friend invite to Excidium and Mangoose. Let's see if we can do missions together when you get online. In-game nick is Sinister Mentor,

Vaarna_Aarne

Where the hell does this thing save those goddamn screenshots.... (EDIT: Found em)

Anyway, I made some characters today, tried out different combos and leveled Mister Silver to 5 before the game crashed on me.

Even just from a technical standpoint, Champions is superior. At least that fucking thing works and has a proper megaserver.

I really need to get in more levels though, the combat clearly gets better when you level, though I've got a creeping feeling it's gonna be utterly stupid for PvP if I'd ever try that. Luckily I don't like PvP anyway, I only do it in Champions to test out builds with bros and at one point to prepare for the new PvP reward items (not worth it, takes fucking forever and you have to endure immense Resurgent Reiki faggotry if you aren't an Archetype).

anus_pounder

Arcane
Hit level 10. Sent out friend invites to Sinister Mentor and Cyberdread as well. Just beat bane and took a tour of the Hall of Evil.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh yea, name poll time. I'm considering about remaking my secondary hero (Nature/Dual Pistols), and I was wondering whether or not I shouldn't remake him and keep his name Ecomorph, or rename him Eco Commando or Ecommando or ECOmmando?

EDIT: Anyway, here's the pics of the chars:

MMET101_AUDIO-PC-07-2054190.jpg

Here's Mister Silver, Ice/Brawling dude.

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-1811480.jpg

And here's Cyberdread, Light/Handblaster

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-1951020.jpg

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-1951030.jpg

Here's Ecomorph/Eco Commando/Ecommando/ECOmmando, Hero with Nature/Dual Pistols

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-2021580.jpg

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-2022100.jpg

And here's Boss Rock, Villain with Mental/Two-Handed. Below he's making haters gonna hate walk.

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-2039090.jpg

MPYR0201_DESIGNERDATA-PC-07-2039091.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, I find it pretty hilarious that the engine can't handle more than three colours per palette.

But really, if they're gonna have megaservers they need to multiple instance them. It's ridiculously crowded!

PS: Their cash store has really lousy selection, and it's got super-shitty function. I bet no one buys anything except the Green Lantern DLC from there to get Premium access.

EDIT: Anyone know what happens if you subscribe, create a league, and unsubscribe? Because if it helps our crew, I could MAKE THE SACRIFICE HOAK HOGAN and be Legendary for a month to create us both a Villain league and a Hero league, assuming they don't just go away when subscription ends.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't see myself playing this for long, to be honest. I found sorcery poorly designed, I think I'll try mind later.

Vaarna_Aarne

I still vastly prefer Champions myself, but I guess I can alternate between the two to keep things fresher.

anus_pounder

Arcane
i HAVE to alternate between the two. My next-gen attention span is burned out with Champions and AC:Revelations doesn't come out for another week( and a few days).

RK47

Patron
Excidium said:
I don't see myself playing this for long, to be honest. I found sorcery poorly designed, I think I'll try mind later.

You'll love Mind. It's full of disables and combines well with Hand Blaster. You can easily play range and unleash some sweet mid to short range cone attacks as well. Not to mention the awesome Supercharge Missile Spam at level 8.

This game is a good, quick, thrill ride IMO. A lot of people quit originally because of content shortage by end game. But that's fine in F2P state IMO. I can never get back to Champ O after playing with this sort of combat.

I just toured the Hall of Doom before sleeping last night. My opinions are still unchanged. Still awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom