Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State, DoubleBear's Zombie RPG, To Go Kickstarter

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Try Kickstarter and if that fails due to Kickstarter fatigue, use the Wolfire Games formula:

Get anything working, be it a computer program, art, sound fx or music and sell alpha access to it. Make entertaining Youtube videos talking about your progress and build up a following.

Here they sell access to their editors:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
There wont be an AoD kickstarter and thats the right decision, i think. Though a project like that for a second game... that could happen, possibly. Just sayin... Developers of the retro-classic hit Age of decadence and all that.
According to VD it won't happen for a second game either. Either AoD sells and the revenue is enough to let Iron Tower go pro or that's it.

As for the Dead State kickstarter. I would need to see a convincing demo, otherwise I've little interest.

almondblight

Arcane
I think the biggest problem was that they disappeared without much explanation. At least thats what i hear because i havent been following closely.

Their last update was four months ago. I don't think that really qualifies as disappearing.

hiver

@Ventilator
I dont see a difference with going pro and kickstarting in that sense.
I sure hope they make enough moneys with AoD but kickstarter can be seen as letting people preorder, simply investing but with buying of product included. Its not like people giving you money for a gift. Unless they really want to take that option.

Agreed on Dead State. I somehow have a feeling they know it too. If not a full big demo then something substantial and continuous that will erase most doubts of not completing it.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Talk to someone, equip an item, look at the guy's stats, go into combat and attack a zombie and kill it and put that in a video. I don't care if the GUI looks like a cardboard box, just show us that something works.

this. the cash will flow if there's something to show. ironically garagegames sell a zombie art pack for their torque engine. group buy anyone? :roll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's the thing with Wolfire -- they actually give people something for their money even if it is just an early alpha. If they haven't produced screenshots of basic things like the combat system and UI could they actually provide anything playable? Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the concept of Dead State and I'm very forgiving when people are programming games in their spare time but... if you're going to start asking for tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash... you need to produce something tangible.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the end, both Banner Saga and DS are going to be potential long-shots. It boils down to whether you think it's worth the risk.

Personally, I don't particularly care for Brian's work and Annie's posts on this forum were always incredibly irritating so I'll skip their Kickstarter effort. I put the bare minimum ($10) into Banner Saga. It sounds good in theory.
personally, fuck you and your entitlement for devs making posts you would prefer. asshole.
Come on hiver, there's no need to insult Castanova. He's certainly entitled to his own opinion.

White knights gotta white knight, and Princess Annie clearly needs Hiver's help. :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You know what is really funny? We started talking with Brian about Kickstarter in September 2011. I even have the mail where he mentioned it, and I was like "WTF is that?". Then, we are now jumping the "bandwagon". :roll:

Oh, well, continue the bitching :salute:
Let me get this straight, in september you guys already had more than 3 years of development of DS, and had the idea to kickstart it. Then what you guys did? Lost momentum and paused development & updates.

Meanwhile, the 3 dudes were still working on SW:TOR. Then they quitted BioWare, created their own company, started working on Banner Saga, gave out some great interviews, released a trailer with great animation scenes & voice over and gameplay bits, launched their Kickstarter with great tiers rewards and ATM have 82/100k to make their game, a free multiplayer demo coming soon and a release date for Spring 2012.

Still on your high horses? You can have all the e-mails you want proving you had the idea first and the best game ever made sitting on your desk, but that doesn't mean anything if you can't make it happen and deliver it to the audience.

Say what you will about the 3 "unknown" dudes, that maybe they don't have any real gameplay, that they probably shot that video in a hurry using their iPhones, that they are name-dropping and jumped the bandwagon, whatever...I've seen that they are people that "make it happen", I believe that I'm going to get Banner Saga this year, play it and judge myself, and I can already see & understand Banner Saga in a much more complete way than I can see Dead State.

Marsal

Arcane
Still on your high horses? You can have all the e-mails you want proving you had the idea first and the best game ever made sitting on your desk, but that doesn't mean anything if you can't make it happen and deliver it to the audience.
iceburn.gif

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Try Kickstarter and if that fails due to Kickstarter fatigue, use the Wolfire Games formula

Of course, the Wolfire Games Formula requires that you're making consistent, visible progress on finishing your game.

FUDU

Arcane
Some of you guys are seriously fucked in the head. Damn, take a deep breath. It's $15 bucks. Some of you are acting like the sky is falling. Get a grip.

Castanova

Prophet

hiver

assuming you have a brain try to understand i said nothing about it but your pathetic attempt at a dickhead insult as if anyone is interested in your moronic sense of failure as a man. -edit- AND psychological issues that trauma creates.

FUDU

Arcane
Good idea casanova. You should go back to your EA, Activision, Bethesda funded games. That's some quality shit there. I mean, why would you want to give experienced game developers $15 bucks, for what might be a truly kickass game. Apparently, Someone took your logic, and shoved it up your ass.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just because we're forking out $10K for a shrine, does not mean we will throw our jewgold at just anything, also when did annie/brian last post anything about the project and now they're jumping on this revival or whatever you want to call it, I'm very sceptical but if they put up a kickstarter with good content in a month of two, three, that could work. Unless MCA is quicker, I'll put everything I got into that. (well not really but it would have priority)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Give me a playable demo - or at the very least a recent video of your game being played. If that catches my interest, I'll consider donating. As it stands 1) zombie games don't really tickle my fancy and 2) I'm not convinved the project isn't vapourware.

If you want me to plonk jewgoldz down on something without a truly impressive CV (Tim Schafer, Brian Fargo), a playable demo (FTL) or at the very least a video of a build of your game being played (Banner Saga) along with some sweet swag (poster), you'd better be either
A) MCA
or B) Doing an official sweet-ass GUI for dwarf fortress.

hiver

Fuck hiver, you need to get laid, or high. Calm down bro.

:lol:
I am calm, dont be stupid. and dont project your own frustrations arising from not being able to get laid onto someone else. not everyone suffers from your problems.
get a fucking grip. im not your bro fuckhead.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
im not your bro fuckhead.

Shut up ho and get back in the kitchen. You're not funding any games, 'cause I'm not paying your fuckin' allowance.

Look, I can do edgy too!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom