Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

So let me unwrap this real quick cause I only read parts of the thread:
Dead State was a financial failure so they decide to make something quick and easy to rake in some bucks and keep things afloat. Fair enough.

But then I wonder: Why would they decide to dive into a genre, where competing titles offer the same gameplay, at the same price, but also anime tiddies?

You oughta know your target audience before you make a product. And the VN scene is known for two things:
Grotesque violence and games with sex scenes that have to be patched in manually, cause otherwise you can't openly sell the damn thing.

What an odd decision.
I think they would've done better just releasing some DLC for Dead State than doing that shitty VN.

Xeon

Augur
IIRC they pissed off people when they removed some reviews or something so they might have thought they weren't going to sell much if they did DLCs.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
IIRC they pissed off people when they removed some reviews or something so they might have thought they weren't going to sell much if they did DLCs.
Oh, I fucking totally forgot about that! Yeah, I remember now. They completely destroyed their own fanbase and got review-bombed. Then fucked up by making it worse. I forgot what they did initially to get review bombed. Yeah, I guess there was nothing they could've done then.

Mitsoda gots it made now as long as VtMB sells well and they make more.

fastjack

Augur
I think it was peak gamergate and people took exception to something annie mitsoda said or liked on twitter. It's also possible it was something to do with the way some political viewpoints were treated in the game though.

Max Heap

Arcane
Well... how did the San Fran crowd put it in the good old GG days?
"Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequence"

:happytrollboy:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think it was peak gamergate and people took exception to something annie mitsoda said or liked on twitter. It's also possible it was something to do with the way some political viewpoints were treated in the game though.
Nothing to do with politics at all. The game shipped buggy and unfinished so some autist who had been passionate about how bad the game was for quite some time wrote a bad Steam review. They deleted it and Annie went viral when she complained about entitled gamers on tumblr https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dead-state-reanimated.95702/page-21#post-3660482

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Nothing to do with politics at all. The game shipped buggy and unfinished so some autist who had been passionate about how bad the game was for quite some time wrote a bad Steam review. They deleted it and Annie went viral when she complained about entitled gamers on tumblr https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dead-state-reanimated.95702/page-21#post-3660482

Funny shit, so, the guy think he has been robbed, his previous account is banned so he creates another one and buys the game again to leave another negative review ?

Codex Year of the Donut

Funny shit, so, the guy think he has been robbed, his previous account is banned so he creates another one and buys the game again to leave another negative review ?
Sometimes you have to admire dedication to a cause.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where is Marshall Streeter?
Marshall_Streeter.png

I went to his HQ to kill him, at the beginning of the combat his portrait appears for some turns and then no more.

I kill all his acolytes on the map but he's nowhere to be found. he was supposed to be upstairs in the room with the winerack, but no.

How od I circumvent this bug?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Where is Marshall Streeter?
Marshall_Streeter.png

I went to his HQ to kill him, at the beginning of the combat his portrait appears for some turns and then no more.

I kill all his acolytes on the map but he's nowhere to be found. he was supposed to be upstairs in the room with the winerack, but no.

How od I circumvent this bug?
Are you sure you’re in the right house on the map? Did you have to off his lieutenant with the shotgun, dressed in all black iirc with good armor.

Streeter is on the second floor in the house that actually hangs over the fence, the one you can break into from outside the compound when you first land on the map. If you’re approaching him from the center of the compound, you go over a small skybridge that connects to Streeter’s second floor apartment.

Modron

Arcane
He stays in his room on the second floor even when you're killing all his mates, combat will even end once the rest are dead but he still remains IIRC. Go upstairs of the main compound and check the southwest room again.

zool

Arcane
It's a good game, marred by bad writing and excruciatingly-slow combat on maps with lots of zombies. The art direction is hit and miss (the infamously awful portraits) while the interface could use some improvements. There a lots of maps, always with a nice attention to detail, and the scavenge-based gameplay doesn't get repetitive too fast, thanks to how loot is handled in a believable way (semi-randomized based on the type of container, as far as as I understand). Zombies are not an issue once you've assembled a semi-competent hand-to-hand scavenge team, but you can always get into trouble when you stumble upon gun-toting looters. The difficulty level also considerably ramps up whenever you meet the military. On the whole, I would say the game is good at keeping you on your toes (if you play on hardcore).

There are some strange mechanics, like the action queue in turn-based mode which shows every enemy on the map thereby ruining the surprise, and other things which seem to be missing, like the possibility of convening an emergency meeting with faction leaders to vote on kicking out members of the shelter whenever your food or antibiotics level get too low. The shelter management/development is done well but the politics within the shelter completely lack substance, especially if your PC has good negotiation and/or leadership skills.

There are lots of NPCs, which mean unfortunately that most of them a very shallow and lack dialogue and events once you've recruited them. Some are completely useless (a la Jagged Alliance 2 with mercs like Shanks) which is a nice touch since they're still mouths to feed - but unfortunately, as mentioned above, you can't kick them out.

If you play it, definitely choose hardcore mode, player infection and iromnan, otherwise it gets too easy.

Deleted member 7219

Thanks, friends. I actually wrote that as a troll post on the Codex Kickstarter thread, and Infinitron was a real mensch in moving it into this thread for me. But I've had the game sat in my Steam Library for years and never really tried getting anywhere with it. This info is interesting.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Holee shit does this take a nosedive in gameplay after 15-20 hours, which were fairly enjoyable ybh. Shelter and car fully upgraded, the survivors mostly just standing around in the shelter or manufacturing ammo and grenades, while doing scavenging runs with the PC with no real challenges. I did have to plan a bit and use a bunch of grenades in the basement of one military base, but that's been pretty much it. I currently have no major goal of any kind in the to-do list. There's a couple of get-me-this-item tasks (medical book and some scifi thingy), but I've no idea where to get those. So just shuffling around lootin' and killin'. Almost 30 hours in now and hoping this shit will just end soon.

Yeah it (unintentionally) becomes a simulator for severe depression about half way through the day count. You just wake up each day and immediately go back to bed because there’s barely any content left to engage with.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Holee shit does this take a nosedive in gameplay after 15-20 hours, which were fairly enjoyable ybh. Shelter and car fully upgraded, the survivors mostly just standing around in the shelter or manufacturing ammo and grenades, while doing scavenging runs with the PC with no real challenges. I did have to plan a bit and use a bunch of grenades in the basement of one military base, but that's been pretty much it. I currently have no major goal of any kind in the to-do list. There's a couple of get-me-this-item tasks (medical book and some scifi thingy), but I've no idea where to get those. So just shuffling around lootin' and killin'. Almost 30 hours in now and hoping this shit will just end soon.

Pretty much exactly at 15 hours is when I turned this off and never touched it again.

Gunnar

Arbiter
IIRC there is a guarded compound in the lower right hand corner of the map that has many floors of tougher enemies, which might give you a run for your money.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I don't know if I'd call it a dive as much as it completely blows its load early on and yet keeps trying to hump you with a floppy, flaccid member and just expects you to go with it and act like you are into it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I liked the game but it gets real retarded towards the middle mainly due to the painfully slow walking speed of the enemies. In one hospital level I had to wait full 8 minutes for enemy turns to complete. I ragequit at that point

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I liked the game but it gets real retarded towards the middle mainly due to the painfully slow walking speed of the enemies. In one hospital level I had to wait full 8 minutes for enemy turns to complete. I ragequit at that point

If it's the one i remember, there was something like 50-100 zombies on the map, clearing the ones outside first and then going room by room took forever but i guess alerting too many at once is even worse.
Good game but i quit by late mid-game as well, thinking i'd finish the run (didn't uninstall it) and never came back.

It doesn't need much to improve but it really needs it, less zombies but more lethal, more zombies types, "bosses", a lot of NPC outside the base...
A few base defense events would have been great as well.

There were some really good parts though, like attacking the raiders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom