Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dead State Revealed

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Different types of scary. In most games(and movies) scary means that some stupid shit jumps out of the closet and attempts to rape you. Such type of scare obviously won`t work with turn based system.

Startling =/= scary.

Silellak

Cipher
Dormir Con Las Arañas said:
LMAO at the screenshots, they should just sell to EA already at call it The Sims: Zombie Edition
ds4lg.jpg

ds5lg.jpg

lol just like the sims

Baron

Arcane
The game looks great.

Elhoim said:
serch said:
Does 'Dead State' originally have the double sense it has when I translated it into spanish, bros?
Yep, it somewhat keeps it. It doesn't sound really cool, though. It would be something like "Estado de Muerte".

Dead State is a clever gag based on 'Red State'; any area of the US where over 50% of voters hold conservative values, expect American Jesus to return and bring war and tax cuts, or who get their information from a questionable source (FOX, Wikipedia, The Bible, their home schoolin' Mom).

for example...

Jeff Graw said:
Brian Mitsoda believes in Global warming?

*sigh* big let down.

Brraaaaaaiiiiiinnssss....

Baron

Arcane
Incidentally, I love the M. Bison reference.

edit - lol, just seen your earlier post and website Elhoim. Sorry. :) Also love the game's use of colour, heh.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dormir Con Las Arañas said:
LMAO at the screenshots, they should just sell to EA already at call it The Sims: Zombie Edition

You are a really shit poster.

ds2.jpg

If there is no pedobear in this library, I am going to be dissapoint.

Baron

Arcane
Aside from the protagonist and what looks like a Sheriff, it's exactly how I imagine a Texan library...

empty.

Maybe the posters' message is too subtle?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Reconite said:
Suddenly: Isometric viewed game with survival elements = The Sims. :lol:

Heh.

Well, I do understand why they see this. Isometric camera, modern house interiors, etc. I'm not bothered they see it that way, especially for the shelter shots.

Also, I take that as a compliment. It feels good when you are being compared to the work of a big company with lots of artists and huge budget, while we have one guy doing characters models and myself with some model contributions doing environments.

Now, that is strictly speaking on a visual level. The gameplay has nothing to do with The Sims. When thinking about the shelter management, think about how X-COM handled the bases, and add named NPCs, dialogue, meetings, and crisis events to that.

zeitgeist

Magister
Elhoim said:
Well, I do understand why they see this. Isometric camera, modern house interiors, etc. I'm not bothered they see it that way, especially for the shelter shots.

Also, I take that as a compliment. It feels good when you are being compared to the work of a big company with lots of artists and huge budget, while we have one guy doing characters models and myself with some model contributions doing environments.
You shouldn't take it as a compliment. You're misunderstanding why people are calling this Sims-like. It's because of sterile environments that evoke memories of interior design software such as Sierra Home Architect, not because you've somehow managed to perfectly capture that elusive slice of suburbia. The Sims were pretty poor in that regard too, it's nothing to be proud of.

If you can't do 3D well, but you can draw, do 2D. If you can't draw, don't bother modeling or making any kind of art assets, they won't look good. If your art assets look like they've been directly taken from one of those 3D model library DVDs, don't bother putting them into your game if you can't find a way to create a passable level of visual cohesion between them, even if you just wing it by clever use of colors and filters. And if you don't even understand color theory, why are you doing this in the first place. A lot of horrible mistakes, technological hurdles and limitation, or budgetary constraints can be salvaged or worked around if you know what you're doing.

For games that did the "zombies in modern suburbia" aesthetic with stylized and simplified 3D graphics, check out Dead Rising, or Left 4 Dead. For other zombie games with varying levels of technology and decent art direction, check out the Resident Evil Gamecube remake (and compare it with the original), Hunter: The Reckoning or Zombie Shooter. Hope that helps.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elhoim said:
Now, that is strictly speaking on a visual level. The gameplay has nothing to do with The Sims. When thinking about the shelter management, think about how X-COM handled the bases, and add named NPCs, dialogue, meetings, and crisis events to that.

This game sounds almost too good to be true! I'm practically drooling with anticipation- can't remember the last time I was this excited about an RPG!

Hoaxmetal said:
Startling =/= scary.
Quite correct.
Good zombie movies aren't about "gotcha" moments for the most part; rather an unsettling slow-build of tension, and the claustrophobic dread of inescapable situations.

tunguska

Liturgist
zeitgeist said:
If you can't do 3D well, but you can draw, do 2D. If you can't draw, don't bother modeling or making any kind of art assets, they won't look good.
Can you elaborate on this some more? For a while now I have been very interested in trying to get into digital art. But I have no traditional artistic talent. I can't draw to save my life. I took a drawing 101 course at my local uni and read through much of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, which helped me a lot more than the art professor did. But I ended up dropping out of the course. It was just so obvious to me that artistic talent is not something you can learn, but something you are born with. My drawing did improve somewhat, but it was still crap. OTOH, I have modeled some fairly complex models of things like propellers and gears and farings with 3D parametric CAD software at a previous job. But those were not organic models. Some of the surfaces were complex, but they were mostly symmetric and were guided by optimizing for design constraints. I have watched some teaching videos for Maya and Lightwave and 3DS Max and read a lot about Z-Brush. Those polygon modelers don't seem to rely that much on traditional 2d art talent, but I could be wrong. Z-Brush OTOH does seem to require more traditional artistic abilities.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
zeitgeist said:
You're misunderstanding why people are calling this Sims-like. It's because of sterile environments that evoke memories of interior design software such as Sierra Home Architect, not because you've somehow managed to perfectly capture that elusive slice of suburbia. The Sims were pretty poor in that regard too, it's nothing to be proud of.

If you can't do 3D well, but you can draw, do 2D. If you can't draw, don't bother modeling or making any kind of art assets, they won't look good. If your art assets look like they've been directly taken from one of those 3D model library DVDs, don't bother putting them into your game if you can't find a way to create a passable level of visual cohesion between them, even if you just wing it by clever use of colors and filters.

Plus one.

The art direction, or rather the lack of it, is hideous. Hideously hideous. It's not that the graffix aren't next-gen enough, they just don't seem to be done with any interest in achieving aesthetic appeal; it's slapped together to approximate concepts with only the faintest idea of what actual kitchens/libraries/fastfood joints look like, and the only way it could look passable would be if the player can zoom out really, really, really far.

Zomg

Arbiter
That really does look like an elementary school library if realism is the thing, I don't know if the kitchen scene looks right. I think the graphic design of 2D stuff like the fast food logo is off-puttingly bad but meh, even if the art didn't suck it would still look shitty compared to real logos because those are designed by marketing firms that do fucking research on how to make nice logos that soothe and flatter the consumer brain

zool

Arcane
Graphics are good for what they are. End of discussion.

The rest of the game sounds amazing. I especially like the emphasis on shelter management.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom