Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Oh, how could I forget.

Pillars of Eternity: same IE crap, except runs like shit.
Dragonfall: can't take more of that horrible combat.
Dragon Age: Origins - feels ok at first, then gets absolutely boring.
Final Fantasy VII: I'll need to drink every day to enjoy this game.
Oblivion/Skyrim: it's either broken or boring.
Morrowind: boring combat, NPCs written by wikipedia authors, graphical inconsistency (good environment, shitty character models).

imweasel

Witcher 3 - Fucking super casual openworld popamole gameplay killed the fun. Such a shame, because I really enjoyed the first two. Fun enough for about 20 hours and then I quit.
Pillows of Eternity - Too much Sawyer. A great looking game full to the brim with garbage design and boring ass gameplay. I forced myself through the first act and then I quit.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Skyrim - I've got a bunch of hours into it but that's over 3 or 4 playthroughs over the years. I always spend a ton of time modding it then lose interest around lvl 30.
Morrowwind - Played a ton but never finished.
Grim Dawn - Finished it on Veteran but got exhausted half way though the next difficulty. Not sure if that counts.
ToB - Always get burned out by the end of BG2. I say I'm going to take a break but never go back. This has happened multiple times.
Ultima 7 - Part Two - Played a ton but never finished.
Wizardry 6 - Got almost to the end but then my computer died or harddrive issue (this was in the 90's). Something happened that made me lose by save. Never went back to play it a again.

There area a ton more but these ones I know I've put a lot of time into. The other ones (like Oblivion or FO3) I quite pretty early on (<20 hours) so they don't really count.

edit: Not really an RPG but I played a Long War campaign for 150+ hours last winter. Was about 10-11 months in and I just could not do another hopeless terror mission where I lost 3 men and saved 2 civilians. I was about half way through when I realized I should have done the combat lite version.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
D:OS and also D:OS EE because the game just gets so boring after Cyseal. All the quests after Cyseal are boring and the game is mainly about combat after that. And even though the turn based combat of D:OS is quite good it gets repetitive and boring in the long run.

I also dropped Kotor1 after the second planet because the game is just bad. Either you go light side or dark side but there is no fun in either of them. It's always super obvious which is the good option and which is the evil and that makes quests super boring.

I also dropped Arcanum, but that was quite late in the game, final quest or something. The main quest just gets so bad in the end so when you only have that left theres no reason to complete the game.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
IWD2 : Bogged down by repetitive combat
Lionheart Bogged down by repetitive combat
Dragon Age : Bogged down by repetitive combat
Pillars of Eternity : Bogged down by repetitive combat
Neverwinter Nights : OC : Bogged down by repetitive combat and terrible pacing
Diablo / Diablo2 : Bogged down by repetitive combat
Skyrim : Bogged down by repetitive combat and by the uninspired story
Oblivion : Nightmare visuals and terrible quest design
NWN 2 OC : Bogged down by repetitive combat

(More incoming as I remember them).

In your oblivion entry you forgot to mention 'bogged down by repetitive combat'.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For no particular reason (will pick it up again sometime and finish) :
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
- Wasteland 2
- Shadowrun: Hong Kong
- Age of Decadence
- Grim Dawn

For becoming boring:
- Baldur's Gate II
- Risen
- Morrowind
- Oblivion
- Skyrim
- Divinity: Original Sin

For being shit altogether:
- Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods
- Risen 2

Most recently PoE and Wasteland 2, for being boring bags of boredom. Usually if I find at least something interesting about a game (gameplay or story or something) I finish it even if it is otherwise meh. Not with these two, I could not find any fun in them if they came with free hookers and booze.

Ruhfuss

Savant
NWN: OC. Because of reasons. Liked SoU more than HotU because of char issues.

NWN2: MotB. Playing a char of almost demigod powerlevel, they let me do fetch quests in a wizard's college. Seriously? Bye. Also disliked all companions except Safiya. Absolutely hated Dove's voice. Seriously enjoyed both the OC and SoZ more than this, due to in-head-role-playing-issues. As a follow-up for a player char coming from the OC, MotB completely failed for me.

BG2:TOB. Almost the same reason as for NWN2: MOTB. If you'll let me become a god, make me feel so. You don't achieve that with fetch quests for random, unrelated NPCs. Or by having a group of buddies around with more or less the same power level.

DA:O. Getting it to run with Wine on Linux: challenge mastered. Completing the game: challenge failed. Fucking dating sim.

Deus Ex 1: Boy, the unreal engine hasn't aged well.

System Shock 1: Quite recently tried it again. Finished it years before, more than once. Can't tolerate the controls anymore, even with mouse look patch and whatnot. Great game killed by fucking controls, so sad. Really. But excusable due to the game's age. Or maybe mine.

Over the years, I've come to realize that RPGs just don't work on (current) computers. If one day they might do, the day after that Skynet will take over.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I stopped playing PoE as soon as Siege of Dragonspear came out (which I may not finish either) because I realized that I was just trudging through PoE pretending I was playing an IE game and never receiving any real reward in it. At least with SoD and IE games in general you've got the familiar D&D ruleset constantly reminding you of your lost youth and gloriously showering you with ridiculously-powerful items all the time.

Josh Sawyer is the boner-killer of RPG developers.

Theldaran

Liturgist
IWD2, for me the most boring, lifeless and unfun game of the IE series.

True hack and slash, made worse by the fact that the interesting loot happens lots of hours into the game. At least in BG you can grab your loot if you earn it (or if you break the game, you decide). The first gem of Sawyerism.

bloodlover

Arcane
I never managed to finish Gothic 3 or Morrowind. G3 got too boring and empty once I hit the desert area and in Morrowind I usually become a god too fast and get bored or I get get side tracked and loose interest in the main quest.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Most recent one would be Fallout 4. Dropped that shit after 10 hours.

I still can't believe I fell for the hype. Even Fallout 3 was more engaging than this trite shit and Todd should fire all his writers.

Bethesda is a mess.

Krivol

Magister
ID2 - bored
Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim - bored (Oblivion after 5 hours, rest after 100+ hours)
Gothic 1,2,3 - fights are just not for me, even if rest is worth it
NWN2 MotB - spell buffing in high level RTwP is idiotic
Arx Fatalis - I love this game, I just get... I don;t know, affraid of it maybe? That feeling you start the game something bad will happen
Lionheart - well, Barcelona was good...
Pool of Radiance 1 and 2
Ultima, any of those - really, I don't know why, I've played 4,5,7, UU 1 & 2 and could not get into more than 10 h at best
Might & Magic 4-5 - after investing 20 hours, just got mad after fountain/well management

Dedup

Augur
Ultima 1 - got to the space ace part, had some trouble and couldn't be bothered to continue
Ultima 7 - started many times but always lost steam after Castle Britannia
Dark Queen of Krynn - I was fighting the last battle I think with a ton of dragons shooting fireballs and breath weapons when the computer locked up and I never bothered going back
Morrowind - blew through both expansions and wandered around doing a bunch of side quests but never got back onto the main quest and quit
Icewind Dale 2 - started many times but I always lose steam around the Ice Temple part
Treasures of the Savage Frontier - encountered either a bugged or unfinished quest, got mad that I couldn't complete it and quit
NWN 2 OC - got to Neverwinter and my video card started bugging out on me for some reason. I replaced the card but never went back to the game

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Gothic 2 - gave up when I had to run around defeating overpowered dragons.
Dragonfall - realized im wasting my time with a tablet game
Ultima Underworld 1 - Having recently played System Shock 1 before it, it was way too similar and I had enough of mazes and battling dated controls at this point. Game looked promising though.

Thats about it from what i remember.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Gay azz Inquisition, not because it's gay, but because it's a fucking retarded console POS. And it's gay.

jungl

Augur
I have to say divinity original sin is THE game everyone drop out of boredom. The plot is so godamn boring and progresses very slowly.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Insert Bethesda Game Here: Boring combat, the world is really tedious to slog through, the writing is woefully subpar. Not a fan, but goddamn I've tried. About 100 hours in total and I almost never make it past the halfway mark. It's just so fucking boring.

Ultima IV: Way before my time. I appreciate the theme set around it, but I just have no point of reference when it comes to games these old. I found myself reading the entire manual, playing the game for about 5 hours, consulting a walkthrough, and still finding myself lost. Ah well.

Mass Effect 2: I just couldn't give a fuck. The shooting really got on my nerves for some reason, and I couldn't get into the writing. This is coming from the guy who beat DA2 in about 1-2 weeks.

Geneforge: Put 100 hours into it, and I haven't beaten it yet. I love it dearly, but I want to finally finish it when my memory of it has fully faded. With that nice graphics mod included.

Divine Divinity: They really need to scale back those dungeons. It's just too damn big for a game where I mostly spam the same button for hours on end. The graphics and the writing kept me going until about halfway, and I'm not really gonna bother going back into it. I will try the other games sometime.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I have only finished five games from the Codex top 50.

Dragon Age Origins
Morrowind
KOTOR
KOTOR 2
Fallout New Vegas

Pretty sure I'm a popamoler :(

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
D:OS - Didn't take itself seriously enough for me, plus wow graphics.

Ultima Underworld - I was at the last level and i think i had all the talismans, i had to take a break from the pc and when i returned i couldn't remember what was my next step. I still plan on finishing it with a fresh playthrough.

Risen: Felt like a poor man's Gothic II. Everything was worse, the dialogues, the story, the factions and my biggest beef the exploration. Every time i left the beaten path i found nothing.
Even while looking for herbs. You want some herbs? Keep following the road. Whats behind that huge rock far from the road? Nothing.

Blackguards: I was playing an Archer and the game ran out of arrows. This was before it was patched.

Wizardry 8 - Rynjin

NWN OC - It was NWN OC.

Dead State: I like the idea of the game but every time i try it just doesn't feel like what i am looking for. I also hate the dialogues and the sjw vibe.

damager

Arbiter
I was really hooked in a D:OS playthrough with a girlfriend. I totally ignored the story and let her do the talking with her high charisma mage and just concentrated on robbing the town empty with my rogue and enjoyed the juicy combat. In act 2 they send us into a desert and I thought "meh is this (insert every generic arpg where they send you into a desert in act2 since diablo2 did it)" and couldn't bring myself to play any further because it felt so uninspired.

She still hates me for that, because she loved the game. And always begs me to pick it up again.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I almost never finish games anymore, i find most of them just take too long to finish. Ill lose interest long before the end or i am just unwilling to devote that much precious time to one of my leisure activities. 20 hours or so seems to be the sweetspot.

I still buy the big open world games on occasion but in those i always forget about the story or mainquest immediately and just roam, trying to find OP mechanics or to break game systems and enjoy the combat (hopefully). I love it when developers actually leave room for experimentation and game system abuse.

Added to that i am a serial restarter, which also doesnt help much with actually finishing games.

So a list with games i dropped would be too long. On the other hand, games i finished recently, is a pretty short list, containing 1 game, Dead State Reanimated. According to Steam i spent more than 150 hours on that...something i cannot rationally explain. I did restart a few times although in this game that doesnt make much sense. I went for the highest difficulty with pc infected and murdered the guys in Austin around day 30. So after that about 55 days of owerpoweredness and subsequently boredom waited.

Another game which i finished and saw mentioned a few times here, Alpha Protocol. Yep.

Games i regularly start up again are roguelikes since they usually have replayability built in, VtMB and action RPGs like recently Grim Dawn, when i want to mindlessy click away a few hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom