Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Codex verdict?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

• 11/10: Your dream game. Better than anything you have ever played, or ever will

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 10/10: The best game you have ever played

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9/10: One of the best games you have ever played

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • 8/10: Really good

Votes: 71 23.1%
  • 7/10: Not too shabby, a few minor flaws but mostly good

Votes: 136 44.3%
  • 6/10: Some good, some bad...average

Votes: 43 14.0%
  • 5/10: Meh...you didn't like it but don't feel strongly about it

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 4/10: A few good ideas, but mostly crap or poorly implemented

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • 3/10: Your brain has repressed memories of playing it, thankfully

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2/10: One of the worst games you have ever played

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 1/10: The worst game you have ever played

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/10: A Lovecraftian nightmare child. Worse than any game you have ever played

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

DraQ

Arcane
What I also noticed, is that I fucking suck at Ego-Shooters, always have, always will. :( Those Spec-Ops constantly rape me, especially now with their cloaks and shit.
It has little to do with being good at FPS games apart from aiming skills. On the last difficulty level you can't just waltz into a room and kill everyone anyway. You either try to use good tactics for your advantage or abuse cheese tactics and sticky cover.

Have to try to sneak around moar and moar - but forced passages like "lol 20 enemies invading your room" feel a bit "meh".
Well, even in such situations there are usually stealth opportunities.

Since I am wasting a lot of bullets by sucky-aiming, I use what I can find.
Well, that sucks. If you can't get better with practice, try using automatics or popping them with shotgun/PEPS at point-blank distance. Stealth is also your friend. Also, fire in short bursts and when you're sure that you will hit something.

Worst situation was when I had to wait for that elevator, I had only a few shotgun bullets left. Else I mostly use the silenced 10mm Pistol and the Combat Rifle (both fully upgraded).
Well, you were forewarned that shit will fly once you call in the elevator, so you could've prepared your defences.

There is a hackable turret (and you can also try repositioning it for optimum coverage), there are heavy objects to barricade the doors or route attackers, tactically advantageous positions to help you gun the fuckers yourself, vents to disappear into, plus you can place some mines.

As for 10mm - it's hideously overpowered thanks to AP upgrade. If you can score headshots and stay somewhat stealthy, then you're a god with upgraded 10mm.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Jebuz... I'm actually rempted to replay DX:HR now. I always felt kinda guilty that
Malik died
on my playthrough. :(
Left-handed playing with a right-handed mouse at the time made Deus Ex difficulty somewhat difficult.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Malik reminds me of actress Eva Mendes, which got me to rewatch some scenes from a couple of her movies.
:bounce: +4 to DXHR 10/10 GOTY all years

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Aaaannnd.. finished it just some minutes before. Great game. :salute:
In the end the game dragged a bit, but I was surprised I could come back to Detroit with those Riots there etc. Very nice Atmosphere, great work on the sounddesign front too.
Those boss battles weren't as annoying as I thought when I read all those complaints before, "normal" enemy encounters (I wasn't exactly that much of a sneaker, gave that up after the first mission since this is just not the play-stye that I enjoy) were I "had" to mow them all down were much harder (played on the middle difficulty, dunno how it is called). Also, I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to do with the endboss at first - that one was a bit too easy and uninspired - IMO.
The ending choices, while reminding me of Mass Effect 3 in a bad way, atleast made sense. Though, I screwed something up, because:

I haven't saved Sarif and that other guy (the anti-aug one) in the arctic base - if I would have saved them, more ending choices would be available, eh? Because I could only destroy the entire base (me included) or send that video broadcast of the guy that invented the Augs (which I did). Or are there some other triggers to make them appear that I missed?

Also, is it possible to save Malik in that Shootout?

Ah, and also , is that DLC worth a try? I could easily see myself playing more of the game if it is good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the end the game dragged a bit, but I was surprised I could come back to Detroit with those Riots there etc. Very nice Atmosphere, great work on the sounddesign front too.
Those boss battles weren't as annoying as I thought when I read all those complaints before, "normal" enemy encounters (I wasn't exactly that much of a sneaker, gave that up after the first mission since this is just not the play-stye that I enjoy) were I "had" to mow them all down were much harder (played on the middle difficulty, dunno how it is called). Also, I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to do with the endboss at first - that one was a bit too easy and uninspired - IMO.
The ending choices, while reminding me of Mass Effect 3 in a bad way, atleast made sense. Though, I screwed something up, because:

I haven't saved Sarif and that other guy (the anti-aug one) in the arctic base - if I would have saved them, more ending choices would be available, eh? Because I could only destroy the entire base (me included) or send that video broadcast of the guy that invented the Augs (which I did). Or are there some other triggers to make them appear that I missed?

Ah, and also , is that DLC worth a try? I could easily see myself playing more of the game if it is good.

1) No other triggers. You don't even really need to save them, just find them. They're barricaded in rooms that are off the beaten path.
2) Yes, you can save Malik. How could you not save her, you brute.
3) Yes, the DLC is pretty good.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
1) Nice, will reload a previous save and try that out. Thanks!
2) I tried it. :( I shot all those brutes with heavy rifles and the robot penetrating the helis hull, but eventually she just died. Is there anything else to do other than "shoot those fuckers as fast as you can"?
3) Is it "just" a single mission, or does it introduce a small new hub or something?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

There are 3+1 endings available if you do everything right.Pro augmentation,anti-aug,tell the truth or destroy the base
Yes it is possible to save her
Yes the DLC is worth playing

kingcomrade22

Educated
I'm not surprised the autists here liked that horrible hacking minigame. I just got so sick of it. I bet in terms of time spent the game is 30% stealth and combat and exploration, 70% doing the hacking minigame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2) I tried it. :( I shot all those brutes with heavy rifles and the robot penetrating the helis hull, but eventually she just died. Is there anything else to do other than "shoot those fuckers as fast as you can"?
3) Is it "just" a single mission, or does it introduce a small new hub or something?

2) You need to kill them as fast as you can. Kill the heavies ASAP, kill the robot with EMPs as soon as it appears, and only then mop up the rest of them.
3) It's a mission, no hub, although there is a "safe zone" or two with friendly NPCs and even a store.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

2) You have to be fast,I don't remeber having that much trouble,kill the heavys fast and then destroy the robot with an emp grenade,the others aren't that dangerous

3) it describes what happened during the days that Adam was travelling on the ship in the pod.It introduces a new area/mission

Fuck ninja'd again:hearnoevil:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I don't know how the malik fight works

I killed everyone ultra fast but then the last living guy, a sniper, landed one shot and suddenly I lost it

while on other occasions I could just fuck around with non-lethal shit for apparently a lot longer

did I mention lethal playthroughs are BSB?

Lethal takedowns alert everyone by default, are more dangerous to use and it's easy to do a non-lethal by accident (and the game interprets a double tapped "Q" as a "held Q" which makes you do the opposite and it's even worse)

then murdering everyone barely has any repercussion in the game... and pistols/revolvers/laser/explosive shit are completely superior to all other weapons except in very rare and specific purposes

what's the point of a fucking sniper rifle if it doesn't kill on headshots, man

Duckard

Augur
Malik mission (and the rest of the game) is easier nonlethal because AFAIK, all the nonlethal weapons are one-shot "kills". So you can just run around chucking gas grenades and tranquilizing people.

Oriebam

Malik mission (and the rest of the game) is easier nonlethal because AFAIK, all the nonlethal weapons are one-shot "kills". So you can just run around chucking gas grenades and tranquilizing people.
tranq. rifle only "instakills" if you headshot*, and to do that reliably you either need some seriously pro skills or the aim stabilizer/recoil reduction augmentations (not sure which, the descriptions are shit, they don't actually mention it stabilizes the scope) and gas grenade doesn't work on some of the human enemies if I'm not mistaken

but yeah, it can be actually easier

*I know it doesn't matter that much since in this situation simply hitting them elsewhere can be efficient

SoupNazi

The Malik mission was the one where I tossed my non-lethal approach out of the window (both because it made it easier and it seemed more in character - yes I am a filthy larper). The first few dudes I took out via non-lethal takedown but then the copter was getting overwhelmed so after I disabled the bot with an EMP I shot the rest of the enemies. Was a cool mission, especially the fact that she can in fact die or live - it wasn't pulled off that well but it is such a rare occurance these days that it still felt awesome.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Codex cumming over generic console shootans, news at 11:declining:

DraQ

Arcane
Sniper rifle is a bit of letdown (it, not pistol should get the AP upgrade), especially given that you don't really have many areas where you need this kind of range, BUT:

Max out damage - it will allow one hit kill headshots on heavies.
Add laser sight - it will break the scope due to bug, but you don't really need the scope (and when you do you can pop out from cover and sight in - this circumvents the bug) and you get pretty fucking awesome all range marksman weapon.

Add other upgrades to make it more versatile - rate of fire, less hideously small magazine, reload speed - and voila!

It really shines when saving Malik, BTW, as you will need an extra bit of range there to cover entire construction yard without much movement and it packs a lot of oomph when upgraded for damage

Fixed.

Also: Syril's gonna Syril. :M

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Apparently, you can save Zeke Sanders and the hostage with a non-lethal takedown.

;)

Humppaleka

Cipher
Deus Ex Human Revolution... I felt kind of mixed. In the end I just blasted my way through to the ending, I was so full of the "sneaking" in the game. After the miserable ending choices I tried to fire up Missing Link but couldn't play for more than 15 minutes. Maybe I will replay it later, as I didn't even know you could save Malik. :( This time I will propably rambo half the game as I am sick of the stealth mechanics in the game. Oh and that last bossfight? What the fuck were they thinking? Anyway, 6/10, half of the game was pretty good until it got really boring. Worth the money I payed it for though.

Oriebam

oh, wanted to post this for a while now
http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/

p. cool(if a bit tl;dr-ish), for example I always thought the mexican-russian stuff they introduced was just an attempt to make the name "Juan Lebedev" make more sense(for some (dumb) reason), rather than a reference to cut content/ the universe

Codex cumming over generic console shootans, news at 11:declining:
DE:HR is generic now, right

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I would like to state for the record that the machine pistol is quite decent and it was in fact my main weapon used for defending malik. Turn on awesome mod, instant headshots from a distance, switch to precious splody revolver for robot surprise and maybe snipers. I would have probably raged if I cared enough to maintain nonlethality.

I also used it for finishing off belltower special forces once I discovered they woke up from tranqs and started off a chain reaction of my otherwise immaculate bodypile getting up. Even in the future a bullet is the best anesthesia.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
oh, wanted to post this for a while now
http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/

p. cool(if a bit tl;dr-ish), for example I always thought the mexican-russian stuff they introduced was just an attempt to make the name "Juan Lebedev" make more sense(for some (dumb) reason), rather than a reference to cut content/ the universe

It's interesting to see where that bible contradicts DX:HR. For example, it says Australia remained in peace, but in DX:HR Australia is in the throes of a violent civil war.

DraQ

Arcane
Heavy Rifle is an interesting weapon. Starting out it's just useless piece of shit - overheating, recoil, spin-up delay, lack of accuracy - but if you enable recoil dampers in your arms, put a laser sight on it and liquid cooling system, plus learn to keep it spinning while firing in bursts it just turns into a fucking long range chainsaw.

Put in some RoF upgrades, damage upgrades and expand magazine and you can shred fucking everything.

SMG is good, but it's mostly for quick, stealthy wetwork - damage is shit making it useless without headshots.

All in all I found every weapon in HR fun to use, the worst one was plasma lance, but that's because you get it when it's no longer useful, if you could get it around the time you could obtain the laser it would be a whole other story (but still worse than laser).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom