Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Codex verdict?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

• 11/10: Your dream game. Better than anything you have ever played, or ever will

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 10/10: The best game you have ever played

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9/10: One of the best games you have ever played

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • 8/10: Really good

Votes: 71 23.1%
  • 7/10: Not too shabby, a few minor flaws but mostly good

Votes: 136 44.3%
  • 6/10: Some good, some bad...average

Votes: 43 14.0%
  • 5/10: Meh...you didn't like it but don't feel strongly about it

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 4/10: A few good ideas, but mostly crap or poorly implemented

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • 3/10: Your brain has repressed memories of playing it, thankfully

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2/10: One of the worst games you have ever played

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 1/10: The worst game you have ever played

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/10: A Lovecraftian nightmare child. Worse than any game you have ever played

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Apparently, you can save Zeke Sanders and the hostage with a non-lethal takedown.
If you knock out Zeke or tranq him, he gets arrested and shows up later in the police station, too. Wish the game had more little details like that.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Wish the game had more little details like that.

if you go non-lethal this guy is hilarious repeat customer of the sneaky jensen touch
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Narhari_Kahn

alice garden pods - takedown, take heavy gun and money
his office at tai yong medical - take away second heavy gun
dock warehouse - brother can't catch a break

at one point after the alice garden you hear guards talking about how he was so pissed after that he killed two people at the hengsha club for laughing at his uniform

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, I noticed that guy when I was writing the GameBanshee walkthrough. Got a smile out of me because I kept knocking him out over and over and taking his money. Still, compared to the first Deus Ex, the "cosmetic" C&C is a little lacking in my opinion, and they easily could have surpassed it with just a handful of extra things. Not having good antagonists for instance, kind of removed the option of seeing them later in the game (since you just kill them all).

Wyrmlord

Arcane

if you go non-lethal this guy is hilarious repeat customer of the sneaky jensen touch

at one point after the alice garden you hear guards talking about how he was so pissed after that he killed two people at the hengsha club for laughing at his uniform
Yeah, Narhari Kahn was hilarious.

I knocked him out all three times.

DraQ

Arcane
Unfortunately I just felt the need to exact some in-situ justice on him in AGP, so after neutralizing the fags he came with I dropped on him using icarus, then stylishly ran him through with my retractable armswords as he was trying to get up.

Less hilarity, but felt p. good.

Alternatively you can just keep knocking him out, then finish him after he clearly doesn't get hint on your final encounter. :smug:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

I didn't even notice that, and my first playthrough was full non-lethal

what a shame

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

He also executes Malik if you escape without rescuing her.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I gave him a quick execution after I knocked him out in TYM because I heard the story about his assault in the club, damn, missed out on those other appearances.

Oriebam

You give video game characters slow executions?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are some games where you can give characters slow, painful deaths. But I LARP an avatar of justice and felt he had to answer for his crimes in the most painless way possible, thus knocking him out so I could guarantee my ghost bonus followed by a silenced shot to the head.

DraQ

Arcane
You lightweights didn't play non-lethal the first time?

:rpgcodex:
I rarely play pure in regards to build or playstyle on my first run through any game. Problem?

I was largely non-lethal and mostly stealthy, but when I felt the need to say "now you die fucker" and go full stabby or shooty on someone in particular I just did.

Plus it makes a lot of sense in-character to go mostly pacifist, but not fully pacifist (IF you don't avoid the enemies altogether):
Ohai there are some heavily armed goons blasting a battered tincans with the character most worth caring about inside using military grade firepower - I guess I will just tranq them all in the balls and be extra careful to not injure any of them too much!

OR

The bunch of guys supposed to fill in for da police here just burst into a pod hotel and started shooting civies indiscriminately. I will just taser them because I'm just such a nice guy and nevermind that they won't be held responsible in any way for slaughter of civilians, I'm just a fucking Mahatma Gandhi even though I served in SWAT and presumably have shot a number of people.

OR

Those are the specops dudes that murdered a good part of Sarif's science staff in cold blood, even gently caressing them with my cyberfists feels inconsiderate of their well being and hurts my delicate (cyber)heart... ;_;
Fuck, no.

DX, including HR, is exceptionally good at humanizing the mooks and evoking the kind of empathy that makes you holster your silenced firearm and just punch the guy in the face or ghost by leaving him blissfully unaware of the string his life was hanging on, especially that you can afford to do so being fucking six million dollar man, but there simply are cases where you not only want the fuckers to die, but you want them to know that they are next as they watch their buddies pulverized by gatling fire, popped one by one with lethal precision or dismembered by your fucking arm-swords, and to hear them screaming in sheer animal terror while impotently unloading their weapons in your general direction (presumably soiling their pants in the process).

Plus, subverting automated security is quite fun when faced with total bastards and sowing chaos and mayhem with berzerk turrets is just neither pacifistic nor very stealthy.

Oriebam

it makes more sense in-character for me to be H4RDOCR3, because there is only me and my computer, and neither of us cares

I don't even remember whose it is the quote I just raped M:

I finally got around to playing it, so I'm giving it 7/10. City hubs are very good, especial Detroit, and alternative ways to reach objectives are good to have - very Deus Ex.

Besides the usual (cover system that doesn't limit players field of view, unbalanced takedowns that freeze time, many useless augments, forced boss fights) my main complaint is that the game loses steam later on. The last mission in particular just sucks. And what's up with "press a button to choose an ending"? I know that Deus Ex also had you decide on the ending in the final mission, but at least you were required to do something different - find a way to overload the reactor, open the locks that keep Helios from merging with you, or just kill Bob Page. Here you kill the last boss in a retarded fight, then enter a room behind the boss and press a button on one of the consoles to choose an ending. Ugh. Oh, and most of the endings are stupid as well.

Oriebam

interface inconvenience/lazyness, I guess

to me the endings are all the same :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally got around to playing it, so I'm giving it 7/10. City hubs are very good, especial Detroit, and alternative ways to reach objectives are good to have - very Deus Ex.

Besides the usual (cover system that doesn't limit players field of view, unbalanced takedowns that freeze time, many useless augments, forced boss fights) my main complaint is that the game loses steam later on. The last mission in particular just sucks. And what's up with "press a button to choose an ending"? I know that Deus Ex also had you decide on the ending in the final mission, but at least you were required to do something different - find a way to overload the reactor, open the locks that keep Helios from merging with you, or just kill Bob Page. Here you kill the last boss in a retarded fight, then enter a room behind the boss and press a button on one of the consoles to choose an ending. Ugh. Oh, and most of the endings are stupid as well.

The developers have admitted to not having time to make a proper ending.

DraQ

Arcane

Well, yeah, the ending has shit gameplay, shitty choice and the plot just sort of unravels - it seems like devs just ran out of ideas regarding where to take it which was a shame - we could have had "ghost hacking", to use GiTS terminology, and resulting intense paranoia, but got quasi-zombies indstead. Plus I didn't get to test my plasma gun on anyone I wanted to kill.

*sigh* At least I got to utilize PEPS to its full potential.

P.S. You forgot to praise dialogue system. Dialogue battles were some major incline from ye olde plain trees.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Plus I didn't get to test my plasma gun on anyone I wanted to kill.
Apparently, it also turned out to be a big mistake to pick up that gun anyway, since that anti-robot gun was supposed to be more suited to the boss fight (discovered this from baronjohn's LP).

It sucks when a game just gives you a very powerful weapon right in the absolute end when there are not many enemies on whom you can use it, and when you are used to using other weapons anyway. Just like Gauss rifles in STALKER.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
P.S. You forgot to praise dialogue system. Dialogue battles were some major incline from ye olde plain trees.
Hell yeah. I thought DX:HR was pretty good, even if a little bit boring and not as good as DX1, but those "dialogue battles" were definitely a move in the monocle direction. They weren't perfect, and in my opinion were a little too easy, but I loved the idea behind them—having to read someone's personality and state of mind and then use that to convince them to help you out.

More stuff like that please, and fewer retarded dialogue wheels where you're restricted to only "Investigate" and painfully obvious, generic good and evil options.

DraQ

Arcane
Hell yeah. I thought DX:HR was pretty good, even if a little bit boring and not as good as DX1, but those "dialogue battles" were definitely a move in the monocle direction. They weren't perfect, and in my opinion were a little too easy, but I loved the idea behind them—having to read someone's personality and state of mind and then use that to convince them to help you out.

More stuff like that please, and fewer retarded dialogue wheels where you're restricted to only "Investigate" and painfully obvious, generic good and evil options.
Fucking this. Nothing is ever perfect, but dialogue battles were really good and made for some really memorable moments.

Mix them with more AzT style dialogue traps, add some stat checks and more branched responses and you have a dialogue system worthy of a true codexian Übermensch.
:obviously:

You can always mix in a topic based system for gathering non-specific information should your game be broad in scope or if monblutians complain.

Apparently, it also turned out to be a big mistake to pick up that gun anyway, since that anti-robot gun was supposed to be more suited to the boss fight (discovered this from baronjohn's LP).

It sucks when a game just gives you a very powerful weapon right in the absolute end when there are not many enemies on whom you can use it, and when you are used to using other weapons anyway. Just like Gauss rifles in STALKER.
At least in STALKER you actually get to use Gauss rifle and then there is ZRP.

Yeah, dialogue system was pretty good - I think it's the one thing that DX:HR managed to improve over the original.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Desu Ex Human Ressources
4/10
Health Regen Popamole

played the game completionist like at first
couldnt take the game anywore when the heliwhore wanted me to find her boyfriend or some shit
and really just brainlessly started running invis towards questmarker after second boss
still had too many aug points left by the end
4.5/10 (0.5 for actual effort)
16 hours, mostly because of the crawling in the hubs when i was still trying to find something interesting and failing, there is nothing there
from second boss to ending was less than 3 hours

i love how pathetic nerd faggots cry about getting raped by the bossfights :lol:
first boss is literally 6 headshots with the sniper around a corner
second boss is tough, get the anti emp aug, shoot the walls, ze end
thirds boss has retarded ai, jumps over clear wall continuously, you shoot and switch side
final fight is easier than standard mobs...

ai
good shit, gangs up on you, shotgunners behave differntely than rifle guys
different states of alert have differnt reaction times
it has aim
sadly, they lose alertness

gfx
good fps counts
pissfilter and mlaa
last level has no pissfilter.... the wonders of tehcnology!

gunplay
10mm - dedicated silencer
smg - shit tier garbage
rifle - standard issue
revolver - only good with splosions
SHUTGUN - epic lel and needed to kill rushing shotgunners, pump all your upgrades here, the only reason i finished this trash
minigun - not usable on hard, cant see shit, you'll die before you kill
laser wastes ammo, never used since no ammo
plasma - no ammo
crossbows snipers granadelaunchers why

augs are crap tbh

hacking is attrocious
there are millions of garabge emails

health regen actually makes this game this utter trash if you start hiding and using it, so technically its 0/10

never use takedowns or cover mechanics

enemies
heavies are a gameplay problem imo
they eat so much ammo before they go down, it makes no sense to fight them...

writing is utter trash
characters in dialogue are especially hilariously shizophrenic bipolars
they actually wanted me to save the two guys i wanted to kill most from the fuckign get go :lol:
and they kill the arab heliwhore, oh how touching! :lol:

SO WHAT ARE TEH GOOD PARTS?
+ aggressive and quick on the trigger ai, the reason to play this trash, reminiscent of fear, they circle around if a path is blocked, and you have to move to flank them or they will outshoot you, heavies, bots, shotgunners
+ multilevel vertical hub, its just that there is no point to it, no good loot, and its easier and funner to blast your way through
+ you can make your shotgun even more GREATE, i wish the was a range extender upgrade
+ the fight where you get bumrushed in the chinks palace is fun
+ technically seems well done, saves quick (thx consolitis), fps good, havoc physics, high detail in places, horrible in other places
+ augs look cool, not reaching potential though
+ jc has a hilarious voice, if only one could play him not as sarif's cuck, that would be graet

Ash

Arcane
*looks at poll results*

Averages out around 7/10. Sounds fair. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom