Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Revision Mod

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Crossposting my impressions:
So, I played through the first mission and UNATCO in this mod. In general, it certainly feels more modern for both good and bad (although mostly bad in my opinion).

I detected very slight mechanical changes: Accuracy now caps at a worse rate, so even after standing still your shots won't be very accurate. This certainly gives it the modern feel where you can't make precision shots. You get a lot more ammo from the enemies too.

They've made a lot of map changes. Not much in terms enemies or resources (although the flamethrower guy is interesting) but by god did they add a lot of clutter(trees, park benches, bushes...). UNATCO has also been massively redesigned to add a bunch more offices. Didn't really see any substantial map changes, but I haven't played very long.

I don't really like the new maps, the clutter is too much for me and mostly just restricts sight and makes it more annoying to navigate.

I'd probably recommend you get GMDX instead of this. But it depends on what you want out of your nth replay of Deus Ex. Mechanical tuning to make the game challenging? Get GMDX. Fancier maps? Get Revision.

It being steam only is also massive decline. I seriously wonder what the devs did to get this kind of attention, including getting on the Steam news feed thing.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I already have 3 versions of the game, none of them on Steam.

Will let you cunts test it for me, see if it's worth the dollar. Afterall, the Steam rebate ends the 16th. :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm really not a fan of the changed intro music, it was one of the best intros I remember. Dunno why people feel the need to change stuff that doesn't need changing.

I think the original score for the game is completely fucking fantastic. I still think *some* areas, the music just wasn't too fitting, or I just didn't like the music. So far I really like the Title Screen and Liberty Island music. And since I have played the original game OVER SEVEN TIMES, it is kind of fun/refreshing to just hear and see some new stuff. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Anyone, at anytime can just go play the original if you want...

GloomFrost

Arcane
So far so good but MAN!! What a bad time to release this mod. Same day as W2 directors cut also new DLC for Witcher AND AOD just around the corner FFS!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But you will need to wait for a patch for all those other games, and can just enjoy this DX mod just fine today! :D

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
So far I've noticed an increase of guards/security cameras on liberty island. Not sure if it's strictly related to the difficulty setting though, playing on realistic.

Athelas

Arcane
Maybe he felt the changes in Revision weren't any good and didn't want to support it?

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the new maps, but it may be a matter of taste. After so many years playing the same exact levels, even the tiniest new detail makes me feel like I'm playing a new game (but it's still Deus Ex!). It gives me a new reason to explore everything or try a new tactic. For example, the first new terrorist sitting by the coffee mug, it's just a detail, but it makes this playthrough just slightly different than all the previous. Liberty Island also feels more real, I think. Don't know why there are so many garbage cans, though.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Don't know how good this mod is, but I did come across this hilarious screenshot which was sent by one of my friends:

UEytNoo.jpg

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
As i understood from this thread, it can't be installed on non steam version so some pirating is needed, no?

Ivan

Arcane
difference between Hard and Realistic? If I recall correctly, realistic = you and npcs dine in 1 shot?

Astral Rag

Arcane
For those who cannot into "owning" Deus Ex on Steam:

Install Deus Ex and download and run the Revision installer, decline the Steam registration.
Unzip Kentie's dx10 files into the game's System folder.
Rename DeusEx.exe to Revision.exe.

inb4 the standalone installer mysteriously vanishes from ModDB...
:neveraskedforthis:

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Will give it a shot, thanks.

Was really waiting for this mod, so a "steam-only" bullshit is really a punch in a gut for me, since I avoid anything Steam-related on principle, even if it would cost me nothing (because someone else will pay them instead, and I'm totally not cool with that).

Shin

Cipher
Found this on the GoG forums for CD/GoG version owners:

- use the standalone installer (from ModDB) and ignore steam at the end.
- download Kentie's launcher, extract it into your Deus Ex/System folder
- make a copy of the Deusex.exe and rename it to Revision.exe
- run Revision.exe, configure it how you see fit...and finally in Data Directories make sure to check everything..you can uncheck BioMod and/or Shifter if you don't want those

Now I haven't actually tried doing this as I don't feel like playing DE atm, but someone could give it a try

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom