Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Revision Mod

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You guys playing with shifter, biomod or normal in the game options? Not sure which is the better experience.
Depends on what you want.

Iirc, shifter (and biomod which is I think an extension of shifter) give you a fuckton of exp and overpowered augmentations easily allowing you to max several skills and most augs. Not that Deus Ex was ever really challenging, but its worth noting that this completely obliterates it.

Don Peste

Arcane
Who wants to trade a copy of Deus Ex (80% off!) for my copy of the much improved Deus Ex: Invisible War? That's a win-win!

HotSnack

Cipher
Give the modders a break guys. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was squeenix that "asked" them nicely to keep quiet and hold off on releasing their mod to maximise their sales. And when you are making an unofficial mod for a game now owned by a company known for sending out C&Ds on fan works, are you going to refuse (and thus risking them instantly shutting down your project)?

Btw, I re-bought DE on that GoG sale and have no regrets. Game is just fine the way it is. :smug:

Dev_Anj

Learned
And when you are making an unofficial mod for a game now owned by a company known for sending out C&Ds on fan works, are you going to refuse (and thus risking them instantly shutting down your project)?

Except that modding for Deus Ex has been legal ever since the SDK was released, and so Square Enix would not be able to do anything. I'm guessing what happened is that they signed a deal to be on Steam, and that required NDAs and being silent and not releasing the mod for so long.

I still don't know if this mod is worth it, and I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about it. And yeah, Deus Ex is fine as it is! :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
A shitload of gameplay and total conversion mods for DX have been released recently and none of them got a C&D. GMDX, 2027, Nihilum. This is just an attempt to farm more downloads. And it's working. GMDX has achieved incredible things with DX and nobody really gives a shit. Revision got up on steam with sqeenix's approval and it's all the rave. I'd have no problem with this if it wasn't for the "steam only" thing. It was obvious a solution installing it to non-steam copies would be easily found, but it's the shill mentality that triggers me.

I'll give it a try at some point of course. I played the beta a while back. IIRC up to Hong Kong it was the finished product. It was a nice change overall but, as some have already mentioned, it did suffer from over-cluttering the areas with various shit. Including a lot of more enemies, making some parts impossible for you to go full stealth. Still, exploring the same areas and finding new rooms, expanded spaces, various stuff, traps and secrets was p.fun. Also the game is more challenging, which is good, even if stealth/no-kill runs can become frustrating.

Backstabber

Educated
Some guy on neogaf found out how to use Revision on the GOG version, (it may work on physical versions of the game, but I haven't tried that).

You have to use the ModDB installer, ignore the steam stuff at the end, then download Kentie's Deus Ex launcher from http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ and extract it into your Deus Ex/System folder. You'll have to make a copy of Deusex.exe and rename it to Revision.exe. Then, after setting up the Revision.exe configuration, check everything in Data Directories option and optionally choose to use Shifter, Biomod, or none of the two.

EDIT: If you get texture errors, try disabling the HDTP and New Vision textures through the Data Directories.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You are the third person in this thread, who found it out.
4173.jpg

mandatory response :D

Except that modding for Deus Ex has been legal ever since the SDK was released, and so Square Enix would not be able to do anything. I'm guessing what happened is that they signed a deal to be on Steam, and that required NDAs and being silent and not releasing the mod for so long.

I still don't know if this mod is worth it, and I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about it. And yeah, Deus Ex is fine as it is! :salute:

Wouldn't be surprised if they were part of the "paid mods for steam" thing that crashed and burned spectacularly.

animlboogy

Learned
I'm kinda torn on this. Deus Ex is always worth going back to. But all the feedback on Revision points to it mostly being unnecessary changes. Shooting sounds worse. Adding extra clutter and enemies isn't nearly as elegant for upping the challenge as what GMDX does. The new music is mediocre.

Outside of it being a convenient pre-packaged collection of some other mods I'm not sure it makes sense to use over GMDX and maybe some texture packs.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have been posting in another more mainstream forum about this and the general consensus is "It's their mod, they do what they want, what's the fucking problem of you have to buy the game again , the mod is still free and of course you need the game to play it (yes really ). This might lead to paying mods but you know it will happen one day so who cares?"

And here you have it, the future business model of gaming. And the root of all evil in mankind in general : "who gives a shit ? it's just one thing more we got used to the rest". Enjoy your microtransactions, they are here to stay.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have been posting in another more mainstream forum about this and the general consensus is "It's their mod, they do what they want, what's the fucking problem of you have to buy the game again , the mod is still free and of course you need the game to play it (yes really ). This might lead to paying mods but you know it will happen one day so who cares?"

And here you have it, the future business model of gaming. And the root of all evil in mankind in general : "who gives a shit ? it's just one thing more we got used to the rest". Enjoy your microtransactions, they are here to stay.
Publishers, developers, only pull underhanded or money grabbing shit because consumers allow it.

T. Reich

Arcane

This is the main reason I'm currently of very low opinion of this mod and its creators. Coupled with the fact that they've been deliberately misleading people with regards to or simply concealing the info about the mod's Steam exclusivity as soon as they realised that bending over for Squeenix can bring them certain profits (not necessarily monetary).

Had they been upfront about the Steam exclusivity right away, it would at least have been understandable, sorta.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
So installing the mod on non-Steam versions through the standalone installer seems to work.
The whole thing seems pretty stupid to me, though.
There's no obvious reason except for the Sqeenix deal to go for a Steam-only release.

Then again, given the scope of the mod (originally mostly about more detailed levels, iirc, which is about the only thing you currently can't have without Revision), it's probably not that interesting for many players anyway.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Can you play this mod with GMDX or its one or the other ? (I have never tried GMDX although I have been meaning to )

T. Reich

Arcane
IIRC, they stated that the mod is incompatible with GMDX because GMDX adds in and changes a lot of stuff (maybe even some levels).
I'd direct you to the FAQ they used to have, but it seems to have been removed completely from the website and moddb.

bloodlover

Arcane
Any mods worth getting for this game except this? I was looking forward to replaying this but it seems I'll have to settle for something else. I am mostly interested in exploring and stealth (story too but mods don't change that) so anything good in this area would be useful.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Any mods worth getting for this game except this? I was looking forward to replaying this but it seems I'll have to settle for something else. I am mostly interested in exploring and stealth (story too but mods don't change that) so anything good in this area would be useful.
GMDX

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, their decision to contact Squeenix for approval was pretty suspicious when they first announced it, especially since by their own admission the mod was essentially completed and in shippable condition all the way back in June. At the time, everyone who wasn't a brown-nosing sycophant pretty much agreed that it was a massively stupid and illogical move on their part, seeing as no other Deus Ex mod has ever been slapped with a C&D before, and all this would do is bog the release down in a bureaucratic minutiae. Now looking back on it, this along with their frustrating level of silence on the matter (basically responding to any critic with "WE'RE JUST A TEAM OF HUMBLE MODDERS WE HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF THIS IT TAKES US MONTHS JUST TO DO ONE THING JESUS GUYS") makes it pretty obvious that they're just prostituting themselves out to a big-name publisher in the hopes of getting hit up for more lucrative opportunities on the near future.

pippin

Wasn't this the mod CyberP was working on? That, and the Steam exclusive shit (plus the Steam News update thingy) makes it a no-go from me. I do own DE on Steam, but it's kinda shitty to have "sponsored" mods like this. Squeenix surely did some moves, with DEMD's launch date approaching, and it's certainly better than having it brought down by C&D letters... but fuck it, man. Fuck it where the sun doesn't shine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom