Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Deus Ex: The Fall - released on PC

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I like colour filters and playing around with contrast etc. in videogames, just like Deus Ex did with the bronze/yellow, or Battlefield 3 with the blue and green. I like that too when it is used in movies. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for so many people.

On topic, I really liked DX:HR and hope this time it'll be a game, not a movie. The name sounds a bit silly though.

Repressed Homosexual
Why not do a sequel and state that Invisible War never existed? They have stated that the sequel's outcomes are too restrictive, but at this point why respect that game's lore to begin with? Everyone already treats it as an aberration, better eliminate it from the game lore and pretend it was "alternate history".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why do I have a feeling that "The Fall" might actually be the movie? Producers usually like this "I fell, I'm down on luck, I will go kick ass" generic kind of plot, but it is mostly used in dick flicks.
Some available details (e.g. cop-protagonist) fit that idea.
That's way too predictable, but can be true.

The other name had "human" in the title too, didn't it? That would make for better marketing continuity with the third game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why not do a sequel and state that Invisible War never existed? They have stated that the sequel's outcomes are too restrictive, but at this point why respect that game's lore to begin with? Everyone already treats it as an aberration, better eliminate it from the game lore and pretend it was "alternate history".

Is that a widespread feeling on IW though? It reviewed well when it came out and most console players defend the game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like colour filters and playing around with contrast etc. in videogames, just like Deus Ex did with the bronze/yellow, or Battlefield 3 with the blue and green. I like that too when it is used in movies. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for so many people.

On topic, I really liked DX:HR and hope this time it'll be a game, not a movie. The name sounds a bit silly though.
It depends. Some color combinations are really overused and can become monotonous, i.e. green and yellow in Fallout 3 or blue and teal in... everything. Color grading is better in my opinion when it is used subtly to tweak things and get the desired atmosphere out of what you already have. Think the color filter in Crysis, which adjusts the white point and tames some of the brighter colors (reds and greens), or Dragon Age, which uses it to create pseudo-filmic or HDR effects by saturating certain colors a little more than others.

Random Google example:

Sandstorm_TonemappedColorgraded.jpg

Most extreme I ever like to see it, but it admittedly really does bring out very distinct atmospheres to the scene, i.e. top-left is "desert", bottom-left is "fantasy", bottom-right is "alien", top-right is "post-apoc". Bottom-left to me is really offensively ugly though, very garish. Most smart developers will use all sorts within the game, rather than one single color theme.

By contrast, Human Revolution was way too monotone. It basically had 2 colors with little flashes of others. Not good, and fatiguing to the eyes.

Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-ScreenShot-2.jpg

That, for the entire game. Bleeh. A little variety goes a long way.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

It depends. Some color combinations are really overused and can become monotonous, i.e. green and yellow in Fallout 3 or blue and teal in... everything. Color grading is better in my opinion when it is used subtly to tweak things and get the desired atmosphere out of what you already have. Think the color filter in Crysis, which adjusts the white point and tames some of the brighter colors (reds and greens), or Dragon Age, which uses it to create pseudo-filmic or HDR effects by saturating certain colors a little more than others.

It just helps in creating an unique experience in my book. Reality isn't limited to a certain colour range. Reality is also kind of boring - I don't want to play games as realistic as possible (well ok depending on the genre), I want to delve in some other world. Such colour stuff helps to set the mood and makes creating a "coorporate" design and atmosphere in terms of art assets too. It all blends in together. But I understand that some people don't like it, I myself love it. Yes, I even liked the green stuff in FO3, especially in downtown DC. :oops:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
To be fair I think Fallout 3's green was more that there was just too much of it (monotonous) and that it did not fit with the brownish/yellow art style of the previous Fallouts. Instead of desert/Mad Max look you got "radiation" everywhere which thematically was in conflict with both the art and the lore of the previous titles.

BobtheTree

Savant
I like Human Defiance a lot better than The Fall. "The Fall" is too damn generic.
It could be an allusion to Albert Camus masterwork. Instead of referencing mythology, the series will touch up on the desperation of a man whose life is crumbling before him, a beautiful existential piece on the ultimate degradation of the self inflicted by the rise and fall of trans-humanism. :obviously:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Thematical filters should be used per-location, not for the whole game. Shapes and architecture are enough to make game unique without processing everything through vomiting filter.
Unless game in making is 5 hours long.

J1M

Arcane
It would be cool to try and fight all these conspiracies but then ultimately lose and the grey death gets released no matter what you do.

They would do some weird hopeful ending where Jensen hands off the reigns of saving the world from Majestic 12 to his clones, Paul and JC. I guess it wouldn't even break continuity if Paul and Adam knew each other, right?

Wait... Paul as playable character in the third game?
There is a DX1 mod where you play as Paul that is quite good. At one point you infiltrate CIA headquarters. It also has a level that references Office Space.

http://www.planetdeusex.com/zodiac/screenshots_Part1.html

J1M

Arcane
I'm shocked to see so much talk in this thread regarding where this prequel sequel will go in the timeline. It is pretty obvious that between Alex, Megan, and Page they set up for a continuation of Human Revolution.

A movie is more likely to go elsewhere in the timeline. The easiest thing to do would probably be to stick it between the prequel games as if it were a 95 minute cutscene (free DVD with game purchase omg), but there are other stories that I would find more interesting. For example, the tale of Gunthar Herman and his descent from state of the art enforcement agent to out-of-date meat shield.

EDIT: They could even get Arnie to play him. :lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No. People will go BUT OMG! IT'S ALMOST LIKE DX! YEAH IT HAS SHITTY SMALL AREA DESIGN AND TERRIBLE COMBAT AND HORIBLE DUMBED DOWN FEATURES! BUT IT'S ALMOST LIKE DX!!! OMG! OMG!

:troll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No. People will go BUT OMG! IT'S ALMOST LIKE DX! YEAH IT HAS SHITTY SMALL AREA DESIGN AND TERRIBLE COMBAT AND HORIBLE DUMBED DOWN FEATURES! BUT IT'S ALMOST LIKE DX!!! OMG! OMG!

Sounds like me the day it came out, for sure.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

:troll:
Sounds like Bloodlines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom