Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Deus Ex: The Fall - released on PC

deuxhero

Arcane
No, Redemption's graphics are supposed to have looked GOOD at the time, not average, according to contemporary sources.

Deus Ex had details like the mouths moving when characters and the models "breathing" when idle.

Gerrard

Arcane
As for DX1, the only things giving its graphics edge were built-in features of Unreal Engine and they were still used in very incompetent manner - rarely used at the time detail textures (someone needs to revolutionize modern day bumpmaps this way, BTW, so they stop looking like cheap plastic casts)
That reminds me
SFql9w1.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Deus Ex had details like the mouths moving when characters and the models "breathing" when idle.
Half Life had moving mouths already.

Deus Ex mouths were generally better, but the animation itself wasn't even fluent.

Idle animations like breathing were nothing new at the time, besides, overall body anims aren't really tech dependent - if they were, Morrowind (2002) wouldn't be so hopelessly inferior to Another World (1991) in this regard.

No, Redemption's graphics are supposed to have looked GOOD at the time, not average, according to contemporary sources.
Big fucking deal.

Contemporary sources also claimed oblivious had good graphics, when it was all potato faces and shit low-res textures, except smeared with thick layer of specular and bloom. Oh, it had grass rendered in radius around characters if you felt the need to kill your framerate to an even greater extent than shitty unoptimizeed code could do it for you.

*clap clap* I guess.

Game journos are, and have been for long time, fucking n'wahs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

The Deus Ex facebook page is reporting that a new game will be announced tomorrow called Deus Ex: Human Defiance. Now tomorrow IS April Fools Day, but would they really copyright a name for a joke? Also isn't it early for a sequel?

Could be the DLC that turns our copies into the WiiU director's cut I guess. Could also be a joke that hides a real tease. Who the fuck knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this a joke ? Deus Ex HD has been confirmed to be a movie.

http://www.deusex.com/humandefiance

Eidos-Montréal's Deus Ex: Human Revolution development team is one of the most dedicated crews in the industry... almost as dedicated as our fans. Listening to you guys is our top priority. When we started brainstorming for the future of the franchise, we wanted to give you Deus Ex as you've never seen it before. To create something new, edgy, unexpected. To take Adam Jensen to a whole new dimension.

The second dimension.

Introducing Deus Ex: Human Defiance, the first adventures of Adam Jensen in full, glorious 8-bit. Human Revolution brought about the cyber-Renaissance, Human Defiance marks the beginning of a Digital Golden Age. Human Revolution was all about triangles. Now we're doubling down, flipping one over and revelling at its brand new form: the square... the pixel. It's a natural evolution!

This new format allows us to bring you the content from Deus Ex: Human Revolution that you always asked for.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, I think they're actually going to make this game if enough people like the Facebook page. :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I still think this is marketing. They wouldn't copyright the name for a joke. This is to get it all out there, get attention, before an actual reveal.

Or maybe I am just exhibiting fanboy lust.

J1M

Arcane
Best April Fool's joke I've seen in years.

Clearly these people are self-aware and able to poke fun at themselves. No surprise they made a great game. Looking forward to the actual project too.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If the Thief team had at least the good sense of those guys, Deux Ex Human Revolution had many problems but you could see they tried to keep something of the original. Why Square Enix decided to use the hipster team to make Thief that is a game easier to fuck up? For some reason, I'm actually hyped, if they make a new Deus Ex with the level design of Missing Link instead of the linear levels it could be a good game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If the Thief team had at least the good sense of those guys, Deux Ex Human Revolution had many problems but you could see they tried to keep something of the original. Why Square Enix decided to use the hipster team to make Thief that is a game easier to fuck up? For some reason, I'm actually hyped, if they make a new Deus Ex with the level design of Missing Link instead of the linear levels it could be a good game.

For me, HR was one of the most enjoyable first person action rpg's of this generation. I hope any sequels will adopt a more expansive non-linear level design, that's one of the few criticisms i have of the game, along with the boss fights and the press a button ending.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For me, HR was one of the most enjoyable first person action rpg's of this generation. I hope any sequels will adopt a more expansive non-linear level design, that's one of the few criticisms i have of the game, along with the boss fights and the press a button ending.

You're not allowed to like flawed games here unless they were made before 1999.

DraQ

Arcane
Half Life had moving mouths already.
Screenshot-4.png

Facial animations were in Chasm: The Rift (1997). Even worse than in Half-Life, but still, it was there.
Ah yes. Impressive little game, but facial anims were cutscene only.

Special effects were pretty great, though.
It had one of the more satisfying shotguns too.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Facial animations in cutscenes? Didn't Wing Commander 2 have those way back in 1991? Don't remember if/how well they were lip-synched though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Facial animations in cutscenes? Didn't Wing Commander 2 have those way back in 1991? Don't remember if/how well they were lip-synched though.
Judging by the screenshots, it used 2D screen with 'lipsync' layers (I only played Privateer, so I suspect it used the same method).
Something like that was used for cutscenes in original System Shock (each frame contained only differences from the first one).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
:hmmm:
You do realize that there is a world of difference between FMV or older simple image animation techniques and cutscene rendered in real time in game's engine, right?

Not really. What does it matter if the techniques are "simple" or "complex"?

Now, if you restricted your claim to fully fledged 3D models of human beings with facial animation, maybe I could agree.

DraQ

Arcane
:hmmm:
You do realize that there is a world of difference between FMV or older simple image animation techniques and cutscene rendered in real time in game's engine, right?

Not really. What does it matter if the techniques are "simple" or "complex"?
If we are discussing facial anims in terms of technological advancement?
Everything.

Otherwise:

LOLOLOL FACIAL ANIMS ON C64 IN 1989!!!1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom