Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Deus Ex: The Fall - released on PC

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
It would be cool to try and fight all these conspiracies but then ultimately lose and the grey death gets released no matter what you do.

They would do some weird hopeful ending where Jensen hands off the reigns of saving the world from Majestic 12 to his clones, Paul and JC. I guess it wouldn't even break continuity if Paul and Adam knew each other, right?

Wait... Paul as playable character in the third game?
There is a DX1 mod where you play as Paul that is quite good. At one point you infiltrate CIA headquarters. It also has a level that references Office Space.

http://www.planetdeusex.com/zodiac/screenshots_Part1.html
That mod is really awesome, except for the ending. Aliens, aliens everywhere. DX Modding community puts HR to shame, wich it don't even have mods.

J1M

Arcane
It would be cool to try and fight all these conspiracies but then ultimately lose and the grey death gets released no matter what you do.

They would do some weird hopeful ending where Jensen hands off the reigns of saving the world from Majestic 12 to his clones, Paul and JC. I guess it wouldn't even break continuity if Paul and Adam knew each other, right?

There is a DX1 mod where you play as Paul that is quite good. At one point you infiltrate CIA headquarters. It also has a level that references Office Space.

That mod is really awesome, except for the ending. Aliens, aliens everywhere. DX Modding community puts HR to shame, wich it don't even have mods.
That's because HR used the Tomb Raider engine. If it used unreal I would have hue-shifted the color filter so deuxhero could clean the sand out of his vagina.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
HR is Good For What It Is.™ Obviously inferior to the first but you'll never see anything like it again unless Warren Spector stops making Epic Mickey shit and starts a kickstarter. Given the choice of playing a game half as good as the original versus not playing anything at all I choose the former. At the very least you could turn off the object highlighting and piss filter. Not saying that makes up for the limited level design but... again... point me to the indie games that ape Deus Ex. There's EYE but even now it's horribly unpolished/bug-ridden.

deuxhero

Arcane
Or I could play Bloodlines or The Nameless Mod, which were ~75%+ as good.

That's because HR used the Tomb Raider engine. If it used unreal I would have hue-shifted the color filter so deuxhero could clean the sand out of his vagina.

There's an injector for it. All it does is let you see every other aspect of the art direction is equally stupid (the faux Renaissance clothing casualwear and for an on-duty scientist sticks out horribly)

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
head_06.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There was a reason I stopped when I went to use that color tweak... forget what it was, maybe it fucked with some graphics options?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
There was a reason I stopped when I went to use that color tweak... forget what it was, maybe it fucked with some graphics options?
I think it's the noticable fps drop with no reason. Quite a stinker.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Missing Link? Yeah it's arguably better than the base game (especially the way they handled the 'boss fight') although it's way too short for the initial price they asked for -- worth a couple of bucks, though.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, but in terms of visual style DX:HR is superior to DX1.

Fuck no it isn't.

DX1's graphics were pretty bad, but they hold stable in an era where a lot of things wound up looking like shit.
They only hold stable because they were already p. shit on release.
It's in the same vein as corpse being in "stable" condition.

Their only saving grace is Unreal Engine, but that's hardly of any help if you don't know how to use it properly.

HR's graphics ignore how the human eye works. Making a game mostly yellow (noted to cause significantly heavier eye strain compared to other colors) with minimal contrast (trying to distinquish things in that obviously causes eye strain) displayed on a monitor/TV (known even among the most computer iliterate as causing eyestrain) results in something LITERALLY physically painful to look at for a long period of time. Not many games can say that.
Worked for me.
:smug:
Also, sodium lights are pretty popular, and they wash everything in piss-yellow (well, orange).

Not to mention that piss filter is just a very minor aspect of DX:HR stylistics.

The Fall is also very generic because its a biblical theme in the West that everyone and his mother has run through.

"Human Defiance" is a nice juxtaposition the earlier title, "Human Revolution."
No, it's effectively interchangeable with the earlier title. And that's not a good thing for titles in the series.

The fall, OTOH, can easily be interpreted as decline of civilization happening between pristine, cyber-neo-renaissance of HR and "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" of DX1.

deuxhero

Arcane
The problem is that while Deus Ex always had medicore graphics, they are still merely "medicore", and the attention to detail (noted in reviews of the time) in the graphics really help it not look terrible. Even games that had "good" 3D graphics in 2000 tend to look really shitty now.

DraQ

Arcane
The problem is that while Deus Ex always had medicore graphics, they are still merely "medicore", and the attention to detail (noted in reviews of the time) in the graphics really help it not look terrible. Even games that had "good" 3D graphics in 2000 tend to look really shitty now.
Examples or GTFO.

Which games looked better than DX1 at release but aged worse visually?

deuxhero

Arcane
Examples or GTFO.

Excluding all the late PS1/N64 games and virtually every early PS2 game...

Just among PC games: Gothic and Morrowind for one. Redemption allegedly looked pretty advanced for its time.

DraQ

Arcane
Examples or GTFO.

Excluding all the late PS1/N64 games and virtually every early PS2 game...
Yes, excluding console games.

Just among PC games: Gothic and Morrowind for one. Redemption allegedly looked pretty advanced for its time.
Other than Pinocchio character models Morrowind looks really fucking good even today (animations are horrid, though), VTM:R didn't exactly look shit, but it had about average graphics for its time.

As for DX1, the only things giving its graphics edge were built-in features of Unreal Engine and they were still used in very incompetent manner - rarely used at the time detail textures (someone needs to revolutionize modern day bumpmaps this way, BTW, so they stop looking like cheap plastic casts), good lightmaps (but used in a very bland manner in DX1) and good looking mirrors.
Even procedurally animated textures, another hallmark of Unreal Engine that could be used for awesome effect, are applied in very hit or miss manner in DX1 - miss more often than hit, in fact.

So, tl;dr - credits for any form of longevity of DX1 graphics should bypass Ion Storm and go directly to Epic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom