Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer Story Time with Old Man Davis

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's a good idea. Let us old gamers revel in memories. Nostalgia starts here, here a part of my game collection (Apple II, C64, Amiga and PC):
games.jpg

There'd better be a Sierra On-Line collection on the other shelf.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That's a good idea. Let us old gamers revel in memories. Nostalgia starts here, here a part of my game collection (Apple II, C64, Amiga and PC):
Nice. IKEA's Billy shelves?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah... Sweden is awesome. Awesome shelves and world champions in hockey.

I can't find ToEE in your shelf. I thought you loved it.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Yeah... Sweden is awesome. Awesome shelves and world champions in hockey.

I can't find ToEE in your shelf. I thought you loved it.

It's in my office, along with Baldur's Gate, PS:T, Icewind Dale, Realms of Arkania and others. As daily encouragement, so to say.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anthony Davis

According to Feargus (in his russian panel) Obsidian stops its engine development. How do you feel about it? Was Dungeon Siege III as bugfree because of Onyx or the new QA process?
Woah, stops Onyx development? Does this mean that they won't even use it? But what was the point of developing it then? It was a good engine, that could be used very well in cRPGs, why use licensed engines, which are harder to program for?

Tigranes

Arcane
We better see at least a couple more Onyx games. It sounds and looks awesome. What does "stops engine development" mean anyway? No more new engines?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Anthony Davis

According to Feargus (in his russian panel) Obsidian stops its engine development. How do you feel about it? Was Dungeon Siege III as bugfree because of Onyx or the new QA process?
Woah, stops Onyx development? Does this mean that they won't even use it? But what was the point of developing it then? It was a good engine, that could be used very well in cRPGs, why use licensed engines, which are harder to program for?
If I were to hazard a guess, it could be that most publishers that contract with obsidian specify what engine they are to use, so they don't get to use Onyx enough to justify continuing developing it. If it's years between each time they get to make a game with Onyx, it will quickly get obsolete.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Too bad they can't rip the middlewares out of Onyx and use it for KS project. On the other hand, it probably has all sorts of console features that they don't really need for those.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Anthony Davis

If I were to hazard a guess, it could be that most publishers that contract with obsidian specify what engine they are to use, so they don't get to use Onyx enough to justify continuing developing it. If it's years between each time they get to make a game with Onyx, it will quickly get obsolete.

Doesn't help that two (more even if you include games that were cancelled early) of their Onyx games got cancelled.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/460875653244282443

George Ziets said:
So Onyx engine is dead ? :( Sad, I liked it very much in DS3..
This was news to me, but it’s not too surprising. I had the sense that engine development on Dungeon Siege 3 was a significant investment, and if that game had been made with something like Unity, we may have had more resources to devote to the game itself. (And the stretched resources on DS3 were a big part of the reason for its shortcomings.)

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Hahahaha

oh lord, classic Obsidian

Work 5 (?) years on an engine - release one mediocre game and can it :troll:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/460875653244282443

George Ziets said:
So Onyx engine is dead ? :( Sad, I liked it very much in DS3..
This was news to me, but it’s not too surprising. I had the sense that engine development on Dungeon Siege 3 was a significant investment, and if that game had been made with something like Unity, we may have had more resources to devote to the game itself. (And the stretched resources on DS3 were a big part of the reason for its shortcomings.)

What is interesting is Larian after using third party software, has chosen to spend considerable resources building their own engine. lol

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is interesting is Larian after using third party software, has chosen to spend considerable resources building their own engine. lol
Well remember Obsidian's home built engine includes so much 3rd party stuff they couldn't even afford to use it for their kickstarter.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
@obsidian scrapping their engine department: here's the vid from the russian conference

in short: independent studios like obsidian will concentrate on smaller titles financed through kickstarter, f2p and contracted work for other studios in the future. guess that explains their mmo involvement.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Well remember Obsidian's home built engine includes so much 3rd party stuff they couldn't even afford to use it for their kickstarter.

I don't know what is right to be honest. There are upsides and downsides to making your own engine or using third party.

The engine I use, the guy that wrote it won't use third party libraries in it at all. He says engines made that way are rickety. Something he says often is, third party always bites you in the ass eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom