Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Generic-Giant-Spider

On mission 7, quick thoughts.

First off, when do I stop playing these fucking kids and get to the real man? I'll admit, Nero is a lot less of a queer in this game in terms of looks and doesn't have that super whiny voice. The other cunt, V or whatever, oh my god I hate him. He looks EXACTLY like someone in college I used to have classes with and he just... ooh, his face, I just wanted to SMASH it into the pavement. I don't know why, he wasn't a bad guy or anything, but he just has that look. That look where you just want to see him bleed. Anyways, I don't like V at all and his gameplay is weird as shit. It's like they tacked on the DMC1 nostalgia to him to trick you into liking him but I see through that deception. Also, for having all the bosses in DMC1 where the hell is Phantom, hm? Oh little faggy poetry boy afraid of molten lava scorpionspiders? Pussy.

THE SCISSOR LADIES ARE BACK. I was happy to see them come out of that painting once again. Now we just need the marionettes.

Bosses are pretty cool, the game feels a lot more linear than previous games so far but it's ultra smooth and fluid. Great combat, like DMC3/4 were stellar as is but this feels even more polished than that.

I heard Dante is really complex so I'm looking forward to playing as him. I despise that redneck dyke, Nico or whatever. Lady's still hot.

Will return to bore you all later.

Yeah V both looks and talks like annoying faggot and plays like one. And even after you unlock Dante there's still one V and couple Nero missions to do. I wish they allowed us to play through entire thing with Dante at least on unlocked diffiiculties but nope. I stopped at DMD because I couldn't be arsed to keep charging up that Exceed bullshit with Nero all the time, which is evidently a must if you want to do any real damage on that difficulty with him. It was completely unneeded on anything below DMD so I got used to playing him without that shit and suddenly I gotta fucking do it, no thanks.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Why bother, just stick to DMC 1 & 3. Hell, even 4 over this shit. Yeah it's not as bad as the reboot but it's still moderntard trash.

It's linear. It has cringey characters. You're constantly swapping characters so inventory and progression is not that relevant. The music sucks. It's not BAD it's just not as good as it should be, and notably lesser than older entries.

Listen to this cringey shit:

Last edited:
There is Bloody Palace to play as much Dante as you want once you've beat the game.

Have you tried moving your Excced button around if you're having a hard time with the timing of Exceed and Max-eed? With Nero I've got my gun on the trigger so I can alway charge up my shots while doing melee attacks, and I had the exceed button on the face.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why bother, just stick to DMC 1 & 3. Hell, even 4 over this shit. Yeah it's not as bad as the reboot but it's still moderntard trash.

It's linear. It has cringey characters. You're constantly swapping characters so inventory and progression is not that relevant. The music sucks. It's not BAD it's just not as good as it should be, and notably lesser than older entries.

Reminds me of old Eurodance music from the '90s/early 2000s, so it's kind of charming in that way for me.

Ash

Arcane
Huh? It's very distinct from Eurodance (though that stuff was mostly trash too). It's modern pop drum & bass. Heavy decline from the prestigious drum & bass of the 90's I love. e.g:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
:negative:

Are you honestly enjoying DMC5 as much as 1 or 3? Tell me brother.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm only starting mission 8 so a lot can change but so far I'll say this:

The gameplay itself is very good, very fun to play and I can see myself Bloody Palacing up after the story mode as I did for DMC3/4.

The problem is DMC1/3 are heavy on my nostalgia boner as well as having some things I simply like more. DMC3 is one of the best action games I've ever played and felt like an extremely good video game all around. I've always enjoyed the whole "climb this gigantic evil tower" because it always gave you a feeling of progress the higher up you went.

DMC1 though is extra special to me because I always see it in its specific timeframe. At that point there were good and decent 3D action games but DMC1 made them all feel obsolete the second you played it, like it was the first time somebody actually went balls deep and delivered something wild. There are factors like the contrast of the crazy action and the gothic atmosphere, one of the things I always saw DMC1 as is like if you took an action movie star and set him loose in a horror film. I also have always been a huge Castlevania fan and DMC1 was like how I'd envision a good 3D Castlevania to be made.

DMC5 may not have the eye opening trend setting quality of DMC1 or the firing on all cylinders feel of DMC3, but I can't deny it: this is a pretty good game. I'd rank it around DMC4 right now, though I liked DMC4's castle environments better than the ruined cityscape.

Ash

Arcane
So yes, you like it but not as good as the classics.

Why wouldn't he?
Say what you will about 5, but gameplay-wise it is the best in series.

Even though the level design is shitty and very linear, and it forces you to play as V?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Even though the level design is shitty and very linear

So was 4 and 2, and 3 level design might not be bad but it is linear.

forces you to play as V?

For like 4 separate missions, so what.
His content isn't tacked-on and his mechanics rock solid:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma forces you to replay certain missions with Rachel, which to make things worse is a mechanically shitty character, but the game is still great.

Plus he might had a secundary purpose to have served as a sort of play test to a new summoner class in DD2. And considering Jap/Korean players love him I would say it was successful.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
V just feels sparse on moves, they could have given him a few more attacks. I always felt more like I was spamming with him than the other two.

At least there was no DMC 4 boss rehash, backtracking, or dice game.

DMC3 was great but.... honestly............ I hate style switching at save points.

Silverfish

Arbiter

Glad it's not just me. Granted I'm not going in expecting DMC1 quality from the soundtrack anymore, but Devil Trigger is lamer than that pop song from Final Fantasy X-2 that everybody rips on.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Still no Vergil DLC right?

If they make an SE, it will probably be for the next generation.
Then there's rumors flying around that Capcom plans some major releases next year and that 22nc of this month they are going to make some announcement.

But if you truly want Turbo Mode, Bloody Palace/Main Campgain Co-Op, playing any level with any character and a playable Vergil, then you'll have to stick with mods:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Glad it's not just me. Granted I'm not going in expecting DMC1 quality from the soundtrack anymore, but Devil Trigger is lamer than that pop song from Final Fantasy X-2 that everybody rips on.

My only issue is it doesn't make me pause and notice the lyrics.

"THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE I."

Wait, what?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
V just feels sparse on moves, they could have given him a few more attacks. I always felt more like I was spamming with him than the other two.

At least there was no DMC 4 boss rehash, backtracking, or dice game.

DMC3 was great but.... honestly............ I hate style switching at save points.
New character syndrome. Nero felt pretty bare bones in DMC4 but now in DMC5 he's by far my most favorite character to play as in a game like this that isn't God Hand. I'm sure a V-like character will be better in the sequel, or maybe even a Dragon's Dogma 2 if they harvest his gameplay for a summoner styled vocation.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
My problem with V is that he feels kind of passive compared to the other 2.
With Dante and Nero you personally engage the enemy, so you have a good sense of the action and their evasion mechanics complement this.

With V though you aren't actually doing the fighting, your minions are, and you generally don't want to be too close because of how awkward his dodge is. So you don't really have that same feel as him.
I found the best way to play V is just to spam Nightmare and nuke everything. Using his minions feel too cumbersome.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

My only issue is it doesn't make me pause and notice the lyrics.

"THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE I."

Wait, what?

Don't worry about, just enjoy the Memes.

1a1.png

I had initially thought that it was because it was written by a Japanese composer, and as such Engrish lyrics are to be expected, but apparently it was written by an American. Perhaps it's a mistranslation.

Whatever, not important.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, I don't like anything about V from visuals to characterization to gameplay. He's like the black hole of this game right now and anytime you have to play as him you feel like it's dragging the quality down. The guy is a walking NES sewer level, you dread it but you have to deal with it eventually.

Nero is really fun in this game, even more than in 4 and I thought he was decent albeit limited in 4 but in this game he feels much more complete and I like the various Devil Arms to spruce things up. I actually look forward to playing as Nero and then when the game switches you to V it's like... "oh fuck, time to be the zookeeper."

The thing is V's gameplay goes against the whole "I'M DOING BADASS/NEEDLESSLY COOL STYLISTIC SHIT" that DMC was founded on. You're just a dude in sandals sitting back reading from Revelations or some shit while your shadow panther or golem man or bird does all the fun stuff. Occasionally you take a break from your doomsday erotica to go finish the enemy off and then go back to wandering around like a dipshit. Awful, awful character.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I liked V's taunts and his cane finishers. But yeah they went a little too heavy on the brooding goth aspect of him.
At least he turns into Vergil in the end, so we might get to play as Vergil in Devil May Cry VI

He's reading William Blake's poetry, by the way, not the Bible.
Its why the main antagonist is named Urizen; its directly lifted from Blake's Mythology.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom