Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

sullynathan

Arcane
Remake of a remake. Now don't believe that shit.

Onionguy

Educated
Devil May Cry 6 is in early planning phase
Devil May Cry 5, RE2,3 &7 will all get Special Edition releases on PS5 and XsX

DMC5SE will include online Coop Bloody Palace, along with Vergil, Trish, Lady and Lucia as additional playable characters, and 4 new cutscenes.
Two DMC spinoff projects are being considered, one based off the canceled PSP DMC title, and the other a sequel to DmC developed internally at Capcom.

According to a reddit guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/fb6fuw/capcoms_future/

Sequel to DmC? what the fuck?! You mean the werstern one with emo Dantje??

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm not against the idea of having multiple Devil May Cry games that go into different genres, or alternate different timelines. I do not want a 10 year wait for each game nor do I need each one to be a sequel of the last.

Falksi

Arcane
Surprised to see so much love for this. Really didn't click with me at all.
The Codex has refined taste afterall. :obviously:

Bizarrely the night before I spent a fair few hours playing Golden Axe on the Megadrive Classics collection, both by myself & with the missus.

DMC5 didn't even compare. I mean not even close. I left each session with it feeling distinctly un-engaged and unsatisfied, whereas Golden Axe had me buzzing as much now as it did back in t'day.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
DMC5 didn't even compare. I mean not even close. I left each session with it feeling distinctly un-engaged and unsatisfied, whereas Golden Axe had me buzzing as much now as it did back in t'day.
Not the game's fault that you don't understand what it is, just the fact that you compared it to Golden Axe at some basic level shows that. Go play DMC3 first.

Falksi

Arcane
Not the game's fault that you don't understand what it is, just the fact that you compared it to Golden Axe at some basic level shows that. Go play DMC3 first.

Do enlighten me?

As far as I can see, when broken down to it's basic shapes, it's a modern day beat-em up?

Started playing DMD and I'm not having much fun with Nero. Already dying over and over to regular enemies in mission 3. It's a huge jump in difficulty considering both Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda were easy mode except for Vergil fights. I guess it's my fault for not learning how to properly play Nero but then the game never really forced me to until now. For example I never learned to properly charge up that Exceed shit and now it seems like I actually need it because enemies are dying way too slow while I'm dying really fast. Another thing is his pistol, which is pretty good when charged up but it takes way too long to do it, making it tedious. Is there any trick to charging it up faster that I've missed? Having to keep charging up both pistol and sword for them to do more damage seems like a tedious way to play.. I really wish I could just play entire game with Dante.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane
Started playing DMD and I'm not having much fun with Nero. Already dying over and over to regular enemies in mission 3. It's a huge jump in difficulty considering both Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda were easy mode except for Vergil fights. I guess it's my fault for not learning how to properly play Nero but then the game never really forced me to until now. For example I never learned to properly charge up that Exceed shit and now it seems like I actually need it because enemies are dying way too slow while I'm dying really fast. Another thing is his pistol, which is pretty good when charged up but it takes way too long to do it, making it tedious. Is there any trick to charging it up faster that I've missed? Having to keep charging up both pistol and sword for them to do more damage seems like a tedious way to play.. I really wish I could just play entire game with Dante.
Pretty much you keep up the combo with exceed, then when enemy is at 1/3 hp you finish him off with the charged pistol shot, since you can charge it when doing melee attacks. Its crucial to not let enemies devil trigger, or they will get uber tough and start to deal night instatgib damage. Also dont split damage, enemies that dont get hit take much, much longer to DT so focus on 1-2 enemies you can finish up quickly, when you clear out the trash you can kill tougher enemies. Also, parrying with your own attacks makes them take ridiculous amount of damage, so if you parry with your 3x charged exceed attack they lose a fuckton of HP. Remember to use devil breakers, on DMD you should be swimming in orbs so just buy in bulk and mix-up the game for you.

You can also kill enemies like Sin Scissors in one hit with pistol, so pistol is top tier.

I don't know if I can learn to keep up the combo with Exceed, not a fan of how that shit works at all. And charging pistol while doing melee attacks would require rebinding keys and getting used to that. I guess I could switch the grab and shoot buttons and then end up holding the shoot key for majority of the time while playing him. Fucking Nero, I enjoyed him enough in DH and SOS but there his parts were really easy without having to charge up shit, and now that I actually need to I'm starting to dislike him. Not as much as V but he's certainly no Dante.

The way I see it, Capcom could've made a really great game with this but they made less than half of one instead. New playthrough for me is anxiously waiting for Dante's run to finally start, and even when it does it get's interrupted by two missions with V and Nero.

Last edited:
Ok, so if I switch the grab and shoot key then locking on while shooting becomes really uncomfortable, if I then switch exceed and shoot buttons attempting to perform Max-act with a locked on attack becomes iffy. Anyone figured out the best control scheme for Nero? I'd rather not have to switch lock-on button to something else as then I'd probably have to start fucking around with controls for other characters too to keep it consistent.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Wtf are you playing on, a Guitar Hero controller?
Controls are super smooth, specially on PC.
Anyway: LMB for melee attacks, RMB for gun attacks, E exceed button, Q devil bringer, F devil trigger, SPACE jumping, CTRL breakage move, Left SHIFT change target, Mouse 5 lock-on, Mouse 4 devil breaker, R taunt, C reset camera
For Dante: Mouse 4 is the style move, Q switch guns, E switch weapons, 1 to 4 change styles
For V: E read book, Mouse 4 cane attack,

sullynathan

Arcane
Nero is a lot of times my optimal way to play. Getting the quick exceed a long time ago was really easy for me to get down.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I'm playing on Xbox controller and I really don't feel like switching to keyboard/mouse for this, damn..
LT for shoot, RB for lock on. RT Devil Breaker use. LB for Exceed. B for slash. Y for Grab(if you don't have buster put devil breaker here). D-pad for destroy arms. X for DT. A for jump.
That's for Nero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAuCyOn-4Ko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJJPlHWCzn4

^These two videos should demonstrate how I play with this control scheme. Decent.

LT for shoot, RB for lock on. RT Devil Breaker use. LB for Exceed. B for slash. Y for Grab(if you don't have buster put devil breaker here). D-pad for destroy arms. X for DT. A for jump.
That's for Nero.

This will require me to hold my controller differently - one finger on each shoulder button, after I've gotten used to putting only my index finger there and alternating between bumpers and triggers for years. Otherwise I can't exceed while I'm charging shots and cannot wire snatch. I'll see whether I can figure out a better control scheme or I'll just have to start holding the gamepad differently. This would be the first game to require me to do that. And all because Nero plays like a faggot who has to keep charging up things to do proper damage. Not sure if it's even worth the trouble.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
This will require me to hold my controller differently - one finger on each shoulder button, after I've gotten used to putting only my index finger there and alternating between bumpers and triggers for years. Otherwise I can't exceed while I'm charging shots and cannot wire snatch. I'll see whether I can figure out a better control scheme or I'll just have to start holding the gamepad differently. This would be the first game to require me to do that. And all because Nero plays like a faggot who has to keep charging up things to do proper damage. Not sure if it's even worth the trouble.
If you are complaining this much about Nero you are going to love Dante. He makes me wish I was an Octopus.

I see no problems with Dante, but then I actually have to get to his levels on DMD first. Still, there's no Exceed bullshit with Dante and no charging up firearms for eternity. He's the only reason I'm bothering with DMD in the first place, because I want to unlock his missions.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm currently playing through DMC5 at long last after doing a whole series playthrough this past week for my own amusement.

My thoughts are as follows:

DMC1 - Best atmosphere, memorable bosses, cool enemy designs.
DMC2 - Best Dante look, not the putrid shit people have you believe but definitely the weakest entry.
DMC3 - I played the original DMC3 so the SE difficulty took me by surprise with how much easier it was. Still a badass game fifteen years later, when it comes to it probably the best one in terms of delivering the whole package and the amount of gameplay styles is pure greatness. Love the Doppelganger one.
DMC4 - Best combat, extremely smooth and crisp.

My favorite bosses are as follows:

DMC1 - PHANTOM BABY, Nightmare. I know people rimjob Nelo Angelo because of da l0re but I never cared for his fight much. Cool look though.
DMC2 - I liked the Skyscraper boss and the penultimate boss that's an amalgamation of all the previous bosses you've fought.
DMC3 - Second/third Vergil fights were tight, loved Agni/Rudra (especially if you do it the masculine way and let one wield both swords), Cerberus was great.
DMC4 - I know this game had a ton of bosses but the only ones that stood out to me was the second Dante duel and the one against your girlfriend's brother in his angelic form.

Great nostalgic ride especially with DMC1. Those crazy whores with the big scissors used to scare the shit out of me with their laughter even after you killed them. I think DMC1/DMC3 had easily the best difficulties while DMC2's was way too easy and DMC4's never felt that much better unless you were fighting those ghosts you had to shoot down to make vulnerable.

Well, on to DMC5 and see how this shit holds up. I hope I can play as Dante right away and not some punk ass brats.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
DMC2 - Best Dante look, not the putrid shit people have you believe but definitely the weakest entry.

Well it's the one that's most unfinished, and the easiest one to boot.
Plus most of what's finished isn't that good.

I played the original DMC3 so the SE difficulty took me by surprise with how much easier it was.

3's normal in the west was hard mode in japan (a prank from the devs after westerners complained about 2).
SE adds Vergil in case you're interested trying him out (4SE also has Vergil but super op).

My favorite bosses are as follows:

DMC1 - ... Nightmare.

How...
Why...
He's one of the most boring, gimmicky bosses in the series.

I hope I can play as Dante right away and not some punk ass brats.

Dante is unlocked half-way through the game.
You can always mod it though...
But honestly Nero's cool.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How...
Why...
He's one of the most boring, gimmicky bosses in the series.

Honestly, I think it's because he feels like a boss they originally planned for their Resident Evil game and then decided to make it work in DMC instead. A lot of my love for DMC1 is due to how different it is from the rest of the series and Nightmare always seemed like a good reminder of that. Plus I love the gimmick where he takes you into some alternate dimension to fight a previous boss and you're still expected to beat him.

And this'll sound masochistic, but I love how fucking janky his fights are. The huge blob monster, the bullet hell lasers, the immensely shit camera angles, trying to hit his glowing core and constantly missing your jump making you want to rage, he lives up to his name. A boss that exists to piss you off, a gatekeeper. You need those to really test how much you like a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom