Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So the PC port is out. It's not even really fair to call it a port though, because it runs incredibly well; the polar opposite of Dark Souls, the console version DmC is locked at 30fps while the PC version can go far above 60fps, and does constantly. Game is really fun overall, not as deep mechanically as Bayonetta but the combat is just really smooth and satisfying. Level design is incredible, especially some of the boss encounter limbo areas. The story isn't "grimdark" at all either, a lot of it tongue cheek, and the parts that get more serious are actually handled pretty well, especially with Ninja Theories facial animations. I bought it at full price, which I haven't done for a game in a while, and don't regret.
Color me interested then. I could never get past the barechested animu faggotry of the earlier games. This one is't that much better in that regard, but at least hipsters exist in real life so i enjoy watching him die when i fuck something up.

You can get SSS rank by mashing one button on the highest difficulty setting. I don't think fucking up is possible even if you tried to do so.

buzz

Arcane
No, that's bullshit. It's much easier to get big ranks than in the previous games but you still need variation and everything.
The cutscenes aren't skippable and platforming isn't as fun as I imagined. But I kinda like the game up to this point, haven't played too much of it anyway

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
1373355-8C8TMTU.png

HUE

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It's funny how the official name of this game is
DmC Devil May Cry.

Lol.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Probably a half-hearted attempt to distinguish itself from the original series.

Game's pretty much a joke, anyways. Story's ripped straight from They Live and written like some high school outcast's revenge fantasy on the world, script is juvenile at best 90% of the time (Once again, written like a 17 year old trying to emulate Kevin Smith's shitty humour), characters are unlikeable to the point where I think this is some kind of bizarre self-parody. Combat's fairly straightforward and easy, especially compared to the originals; AI is fairly non-aggressive and love to attack like arthritic turtles, and air combat is much too easy to exploit seeing as most enemies you'll face are completely defenceless against being airjuggled like a bitch, and bosses are just a chore. Only really nice thing I can say about the game is that the environments look pretty damn good and the soundtrack is servicable.

On its own, it's mediocre, I guess. Feels like a paint job of Heavenly Sword with the DMC name slapped on it and no Andy Serkis to prop it up.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I have to say, that recently played original DMC on ps2 was quite fun, but that console pads are driving me crazy.

Borelli

Arcane
I have to say, that recently played original DMC on ps2 was quite fun, but that console pads are driving me crazy.
DMC1 has triangle for jump, circle for melee, square for guns which is non standard button configuration for action games (usually x is jump) and it cannot be changed. When i started playing DMC3 first thing i did was change the button configuration to match the one found in 1. I remember lots of people who started with DMC3 first being pissed at controls found in 1:smug:.
I think this pretty much sums up DmC as a whole. And this too.
Woah let me get this straight, it is a boss battle against Vergil (i recognize that posture of his from DMC3), and he doesn't attack you ... at all for the whole 4 minutes that the video lasted.
:killit:
Please tell me this is because it's a tutorial or easy difficulty or something. please
Also somewhere around 2 minute mark video author mentioned something about them REMOVING LOCK ON FEATURE WTF CAPCOM!?!?
:x

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's not just a boss battle against Vergil. It's the last boss battle in the whole game. The "climax". On the hardest difficulty. And, yes, there is no lock on in DmC.

DMC1 has triangle for jump, circle for melee, square for guns which is non standard button configuration for action games (usually x is jump) and it cannot be changed. When i started playing DMC3 first thing i did was change the button configuration to match the one found in 1. I remember lots of people who started with DMC3 first being pissed at controls found in 1:smug:.

PCSX2 comes to the rescue :incline:

Woah let me get this straight, it is a boss battle against Vergil (i recognize that posture of his from DMC3), and he doesn't attack you ... at all for the whole 4 minutes that the video lasted.

According to the description it was a bug, not intended design. Still a very easy game with wimpy opponents though.

Gozma

Arcane
I only ever played DMC1 and DMC3 a while ago (and poorly - takes me many many retries to get through the hardest modes), but they really should have kept Dante's personality from three (which was: "What if Superman absolutely loved being Superman and thought shooting eye lasers or flying was the coolest thing in the world?"). He's still basically a good guy but it actually made sense for him to be a showboat and taunt demons and act like a jackass in cutscenes. He also seemed to be basically the one cheerful person in a post-apocalyptic hell so it was kinda defiant happiness. Doing the core activities of the game like going for style combos made narrative sense as a player too. I feel like they misinterpreted it as being smug and condescending.

He was just a generic anime cooldude in DMC1 though.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The DMC series has always been so hit or miss, you never know if the game will be worth a damn or not until it's out. DMC4 was also a mediocre and forgettable game much like this one, and DMC2 was utter garbage. The original was decent and helped pave the way for the genre, and DMC3 is one of the best action games ever made along with Ninja Gaiden Black and God Hand.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't think his personality is that much different (judging solely from the first mission).
They changed him to be a lot more like the old Dante throughout development. Still all they managed was turning the hipster into a giant douchebag, dante's personality doesn't match a game that takes itself this seriously.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I feel as though I was one of the only people who would not of minded if they had sticked with their original 'psycho Dante' they showed in the first trailer. At the very least that one had some room for character development and probably would've fit the game alot better.
I think the reason why everyone was spooked so badly by it was that the last time Dante was super srs was DMC2, and that game sucked. But the problem with that game wasn't the change in Dante's personality, it was that they changed his personality and did absolutely nothing to explain it or give it depth, only slap a shitty cointoss trait and calling it a day.

Machocruz

Arcane
And how is NT still allowed to make games? Apparently, this one is bombing like their others. Someone over there must got some good DSL.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
And how is NT still allowed to make games? Apparently, this one is bombing like their others. Someone over there must got some good DSL.
People seem to think they're really good at writing. Which is bullshit anyways, seeing as the two examples that they bring up for this supposed excellent writing, Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, were co-written by people who actually know what they're doing. Heavenly Sword's story and script was practically re-written from the ground-up by Rhianna Pratchett and Alex Garland co-wrote Enslaved, and later noted that Ninja Theory's original ideas for making Monkey 'badass' instead made him look like a complete asshole.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I never knew they needed Garland or Pratchett to bail their asses with their previous games. Great interview, too. Some interesting stuff from Garland regarding vidya and movie writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom