Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry

MetalCraze

Arcane
I was expecting the game to be derped but thus far (2 levels in) it seems fine. Will continue playing.

No health regen, no QTE shit, bosses and combat are fun and hopefully it stays that way. The only thing I'm missing is the dark knight difficulty from DMC4 (it increased monster count by 4-5 or sum shit)

Writing (not the story) seems to be quite OK. Of course the story is jap-level retarded as usual but those dialogues are so trashy they are p. good. Overall it seems like the game was made with trolling DMC fanboi in mind.

Then again there are bad things too. Brits are clearly not as good as japs when it comes to cutscene direction. And I don't mean talky-talky bullshit cutscenes, but short action cutscenes. They still look good but they don't look DMC3/4 good.

Controls are somewhat retarded. To use some other weapon you need to hold an additional button together with dialing in combos. Why not just switch to it like before?

Sul

Savant
Writing (not the story) seems to be quite OK.
You can't be serious, you really can't. While I can uderstand you liking the gameplay, maybe because you lack any better standard when it comes to the genre, the writing is the worst part of the game, it's completely abysmal, an insult to the player's intelligence, it makes Gaider and Hamburger Helper seems like master of their trade. Don't get me wrong, DMC never tried to have good writing, but in DmC case it's just retarded, the plot is badly structured and the most tryhard edgy fanfiction.net bullshit you'll ever find. Fuck.

2mo5emv.jpg

And the soundtrack. The soundtrack!
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Controls are somewhat retarded. To use some other weapon you need to hold an additional button together with dialing in combos. Why not just switch to it like before?

This is what I thought at first but then I checked out the controls menu, like in good old days. You can switch between weapons with 1 2 3. Not sure if it's the case with gamepad, as I didn't feel the need to use it with this game, unlike DMC4.

Sul

Savant

Yeah the difference in writing quality is downright fucking staggering. :roll: We'll just have to find another series to stimulate our intelligence from now on.
Missing the point. DMC3 Dante (and to a lesser extend DMC1 and DMC4) was purposely cheesy and over the top, it made him look awesome and crazy. DmC Dante tries too hard to be edgy and deep but in the end he is just a retarded douche throwing random insults around.

DMC3 Dante (and to a lesser extend DMC1 and DMC4) was purposely cheesy and over the top, it made him look awesome and crazy. DmC Dante tries too hard to be edgy and deep but in the end he is just a retarded douche throwing random insults around.

I think it's all in your head, they're both edgy douchebags. In any case, every dipshit who actually gives a fuck about writing in a game like this deserves to be trolled as much as possible.

Sul

Savant
DMC3 Dante (and to a lesser extend DMC1 and DMC4) was purposely cheesy and over the top, it made him look awesome and crazy. DmC Dante tries too hard to be edgy and deep but in the end he is just a retarded douche throwing random insults around.

I think it's all in your head, they're both edgy douchebags. In any case, every dipshit who actually gives a fuck about writing in a game like this deserves to be trolled as much as possible.
Dante being edgy? I think you doesn't know what that word means. And yes, I care for characterization, doesn't matter the genre. If the main character is extremely unlikable, which is the case in DmC, it can potentially ruin the entire experience.

The problems also doesn't cease on writing and soundtrack. The gameplay sucks too when compared to DMC3 and DMC4. Low framerate, few enemies on screen at the same time, shitty boss battles, score being based on damage instead of style, unbalanced broken gameplay (you can stay on the air basically forever) and low skill ceiling thanks to the dumbing down.

Speaking of skill ceiling...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Maybe DMC2 Dante could be passed off as trying too hard to be a badass, but he was never edgy. In DMC3 they finally found what to do with his personality and made him CRAZY, which worked for a fast paced action game like DMC. In DmC Dante is just a borderline asshole and even Mundus is more likeable than him.

Bahamut

Arcane
So far:
-graphic is worse than DMC4's :graphicwhore: capcom's engine was better than UE3 (in terms of looks and performance)
-controls are bit clunky and require some time,
-characters are meh, and dante is more that nero fag from dmc4 than dante
-shifting envirorments look nice
-combat is not that much different (nor worse nor better) so far, ill wait with verdict till i unlock all skills
-so far its easy on medium, its easy to dodge attacks

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Bad example? Both sound retarded to me.

You have to read it in their respective voices. It'll make much more sense that way. Otherwise it sounds kinda lame on both ends. That said, the Cerberus quote wasn't exactly the high points of Dante. There are much better ones out there.

Cool name

Arcane

Dante was not edgy. To be edgy would destroy the character. Dante was the embodiment of no shits being given. His dialogue was absurd but it was never faux tough guy "Fuck fuck shit fuck." Dante does know he will win. His character, as it was developed, is entirely based around that: He is awesome, he is cool, he is crazy, he does not give a shit. Guys want to be Him. Girls want to be with Him. Bad guys do know He will kick their butts. Why would he try so hard to sound tough and menacing? He does know he is tough and menacing. His enemies WILL understand just how tough and menacing he is after he is over kicking their shit all over the place. He is relaxed. He is just fooling around. This is even reflected on the Style based scoring system: Dante is pretty much invincible. He does fight as he does fight simply because it is the only way to make it interesting and fun.

Do compare the two dialogues in the image Sul did post. The first one is a guy who is sure of himself. In no moment he does try to appear tough or menacing. He is just fooling around and making fun of his enemy. He does have a certain "holy fool" feel to it, kind of the Monkey King or a drunken master. In the second one "dante" is just a highschool tough guy. Fuck fuck, Imma Demon Killah, fuck.

lightbane

Arcane

:retarded:
Is the rest of the game's writing like that? Lolz, in comparison even the average shonen's (poor) writing is a masterpiece.

Cool name

Arcane

That's terribad. I will probably try the game just because I do love the changing world stuff and the gameplay may be fun, but the dialogue and characterization is just... bad. Dante went from being a whimsical and mischievous hotie with a nice heart to being an ugly moron surrounded by idiots. D:

Felix

Arcane
As long as he shut up during gameplay, I don't give a fuck. And seriously, arguing about story in games like these ? People have too much time.

Dante went from being a whimsical and mischievous hotie with a nice heart to being an ugly moron surrounded by idiots. D:

See, girls like to talk about loving guys with personality and shit but as soon as they learn he has a small dick he becomes an "ugly moron". I'm sorry that Ninja Theory is a company of distinguished writers who aren't afraid to write the character that needs to be written, rather than the character that fan girls want. Perhaps you would be better off trying one of Bioware's fine RPGs, they might suit your tastes better. :smug:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
All of these FUCK YOU's and no mention of WET CHUNKS? I'm surprised, codex.

And I can understand people who are unfamiliar with the series not disliking the game, it's a fairly average hack and slash. But to say it's solid? Jesus fuck no, only if you've never played a good hack and slash in your life (or alternatively, only played God of War). And to say that both Dante's are equally edgy? Here's a quick comparison: One Dante mocks a villain in an overly grandiose and cheesy prose-filled speech, the other mocks a villain by mentioning how he and his brother murdered his innocent wife and unborn child for no reason. There is no contest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom