Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry

KidBoogie

Learned
And to say that both Dante's are equally edgy? Here's a quick comparison: One Dante mocks a villain in an overly grandiose and cheesy prose-filled speech, the other mocks a villain by mentioning how he and his brother murdered his innocent wife and unborn child for no reason. There is no contest.

Equally shallow, both are lame

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh man. How can someone possibly fuck up a game so badly?

DMC isn't exactly rocket science formula (besides the combat, which is quite complex). But naaaaah, let's completely miss the point in both combat and characters.

In the end you're left with a below average game that the fans of the series will not touch and that won't appeal to a new audience either.

And to say that both Dante's are equally edgy? Here's a quick comparison: One Dante mocks a villain in an overly grandiose and cheesy prose-filled speech, the other mocks a villain by mentioning how he and his brother murdered his innocent wife and unborn child for no reason. There is no contest.

Equally shallow, both are lame

Get outta here, newfag scum.

MetalCraze

Arcane
2mo5emv.jpg

Bad example? Both sound retarded to me.

Yep they do. But you don't understand what's being hip on the Codex means.
Same shit as other hipsters on Codex saying that Skyrim is better than Oblivion because it has no copy pasted dungeons (lol).

Also DMC5 is no more or less dumbed down than any previous one.
The only difference is that they don't lock you in the same room fighting 10 waves of enemies anymore. It's 2 or 3 now. Which is incline.

I did 7 missions thus far and it's the same DMC it's always been except with MUCH less retardedly placed cameras (incline) and some more platforming (which is also OK)
And it's even playable with keyboard and mouse! (ZOMG they let you set up your keys properly?! dumbing down!!11)

The only real annoyance is UE3 with its ever fugly lighting. But the framerate is great.

DmC is Skyway-Approved? Will acquire on (inevitable) sale.

edit: looks like the DMC 3 + DMC 4 +DmC pack is just $10 more jewgolds than DmC alone. If the sale doesn't affect the price, I might just go for that.

Aurelius

Educated
I just tried DMC 3 for PC, and I think controls were coded by monkeys.
That's because the PC port of DMC 3 is terrible. The most common problem is switched analog sticks (i.e. movement right, camera left) with some gamepads, which can only be fixed by using a remapper, e.g. joy2key. If you're using mouse and keyboard you're doing it wrong anyway.

The PC version of DMC 4 is infinitely superior, although many consider it to be inferior to the third game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Skyway has expressed hack and slash ignorance in the past I wouldn't trust his opinion on them.

I'm not going to play DmC because Ninja Theory has a fundamentally flawed understanding of the style meter, character design (new Dante with his black clothes and black hair is more difficult to locate/read than he should be), and combat (there are enemies that require specific weapons to defeat, having to hold a button to switch weapons sounds annoying, and console versions have 30 fps and input lag which is inexcusable considering all the previous games ran at 60 fps with no latency issues). Plus Dante looks like a drug-addicted chav.

The writing was always stupid with cringeworthy melodramatic moments.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wow that's some heavy hipster shit, Roguey.

They don't understand my style meter* and they changed Dante's haircut ALL IS LOST
*I get the score a bit differently while nothing else has been changed!

Also you don't need to hold a button to switch weapons. But you can hold a button to use a different weapon at any time you want without having to switch from a previous one meaning you can mix different weapon combos on the fly. Is that dumbing down in 2013 Codex hipster standards?

And console versions have 30 fps! Just like every other fucking game on my poor XBox 360! THE HORROR! FUCK YOU PC YOU WIN AGAIN!

Arcks

Educated
I don't think a man who lacks basic reading comprehension should be in business of criticizing anything.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I only ever played DMC1 and DMC3 a while ago (and poorly - takes me many many retries to get through the hardest modes), but they really should have kept Dante's personality from three (which was: "What if Superman absolutely loved being Superman and thought shooting eye lasers or flying was the coolest thing in the world?"). He's still basically a good guy but it actually made sense for him to be a showboat and taunt demons and act like a jackass in cutscenes. He also seemed to be basically the one cheerful person in a post-apocalyptic hell so it was kinda defiant happiness. Doing the core activities of the game like going for style combos made narrative sense as a player too. I feel like they misinterpreted it as being smug and condescending.

He was just a generic anime cooldude in DMC1 though.
Pretty much the contrary. Dante in DMC3 (and DMC4) is a generic shonen anime character. Also an annoying "full of myself" smartass.

I want DMC1 Dante back. At least he looked cool.

Dante was not edgy. To be edgy would destroy the character. Dante was the embodiment of no shits being given. His dialogue was absurd but it was never faux tough guy "Fuck fuck shit fuck." Dante does know he will win. His character, as it was developed, is entirely based around that: He is awesome, he is cool, he is crazy, he does not give a shit. Guys want to be Him. Girls want to be with Him. Bad guys do know He will kick their butts. Why would he try so hard to sound tough and menacing? He does know he is tough and menacing. His enemies WILL understand just how tough and menacing he is after he is over kicking their shit all over the place. He is relaxed. He is just fooling around. This is even reflected on the Style based scoring system: Dante is pretty much invincible. He does fight as he does fight simply because it is the only way to make it interesting and fun

(...)
Oh yeah, and DMC3 Dante is a mary-sue.

potatojohn

Arcane
All DMC games are retarded. It's like arguing if old Britney Spears is better than new Britney.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Skyway whose entire gimmick for the last five years has been talking about how much cooler and more elite he is than everyone else and how much he hates it here is calling other people hipsters now? :lol:

Yep. I also own an XBox360 and recently I have been a huge fan of Black Ops 2 multiplayer.

Sometimes I'm really amazed at all my achievements.

Ermm

Erudite

They don't understand my style meter* and they changed Dante's haircut ALL IS LOST

Yeah, just like in that DX thread, about the haircut of Jensen in Human revolution, where you had another ''shitfit'', this time about ''Japanese faggotry.''

KidBoogie

Learned
i dunno what u guys are bitching about, dante's sexy and sleek body mixed with the plot of final destination?
only thing this game's missing is a hot chick

***************SPOILER ALERT!~!!!!!!!!!!***************************SPOILER ARLLERT!*******

Sul

Savant
DAMAGE CONTROL

*I get the score a bit differently while nothing else has been changed!

Also you don't need to hold a button to switch weapons. But you can hold a button to use a different weapon at any time you want without having to switch from a previous one meaning you can mix different weapon combos on the fly. Is that dumbing down in 2013 Codex hipster standards?

And console versions have 30 fps! Just like every other fucking game on my poor XBox 360! THE HORROR! FUCK YOU PC YOU WIN AGAIN!
2qlwynn.jpg

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Get real cunts, it's a DMC game not ninja gaiden, The enemies are target dummies there to juggle in the air for as long as possible, an endless positive feedback loop for the player through its style meter. And you dorks are actually arguing which nonsensical crap story is better than the other?

DmC Dante is also infinitely better than the white haired, leather chaps wearing faggot purely through the fact he has Nero's devil bringer move now, so chew on that for a while dipshits.

I give Ninja Theory Smokin' Sick Style for owning and trolling the weaboo faggots

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not DMC4. :cool: Or Bayonetta either. MGR: Revengeance coming out next month? Also allegedly 60 fps. Whitey just can't hack it when it comes to making smooth action games.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
just saw an lp with one of theworst players i've ever seen.

he got an s rank every.fucking.level.

great game. 11/10

Ermm

Erudite
Ok, I just abandoned DMC 3, because monkey controls were too much. Checked out the new DMC. About the Dante's design itself, well, in DMC3 his design smells of homosexuals undertones, but the new Dante has a Twilight thing going for it. Sometimes I think if Dante itself was not a parody of anime shonen stereotypes.

I am thinking of getting a console, so I will definitely going to play DMC 3 on a platform it does belong.

The new DMC is actually not that bad. But about the Dante itself, yeah, I can understand the butthurt.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Get real cunts, it's a DMC game not ninja gaiden, The enemies are target dummies there to juggle in the air for as long as possible, an endless positive feedback loop for the player through its style meter.
Right, and said loop now gives you the great choices of A) hitting the enemy once or twice with that stupid axe thing and instantly getting SSS or B) jumping into the air where no enemy can counter or hurt you and you can juggle them to your heart's content.

I don't really give a fuck about the story or whatever, but the combat mechanics are pure shit.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Get real cunts, it's a DMC game not ninja gaiden, The enemies are target dummies there to juggle in the air for as long as possible, an endless positive feedback loop for the player through its style meter.
Right, and said loop now gives you the great choices of A) hitting the enemy once or twice with that stupid axe thing and instantly getting SSS or B) jumping into the air where no enemy can counter or hurt you and you can juggle them to your heart's content.

I don't really give a fuck about the story or whatever, but the combat mechanics are pure shit.

Welcome to DMC, the inferior action franchise.

Tomonobu_Itagaki3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom