Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry

bonescraper

No, the old Dante doesn't support our national football team. Instead, he'd get his ass kicked for his gay appearance. Most likely by football fans.

DeepOcean

Arcane
We live in too fast times. People do not want to put in the time anymore it takes to enjoy a proper game- they want some casual drivel that they will forget in a week, not some experience that gives with one hand and takes from you with the other.
I don't know if this is what people want or what publishers and developers want to believe, if you see the sales of Hitman absolution, splinter cell conviction and DmC, it isn't something to be really impressed. I believe that publishers think that if they pick sucessful casual games formulas like Assassin creed, CoD an Gears of War and copy/past in every franchise they have they are going to have multiple 10 million sales franchises , but name a single really successful CoD and gears of war clone. If you look the sales from DmC ( only half from what DMC 4 sold). This logic: I going to make all my game super easy so all of them are going to sell 10 million copies is just wishful thinking from arrogant people on the industry.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Would it be better if there were no story at all, just levels one after the other, and you wouldn't control a character, just a faceless figure?
Yes.

Except for the 'faceless figure' part.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yeah and the style system is a really really really gay highlight. I mean it's a cool mechanic, but I don't like how it is designed to be THE measure of difficulty. Difficulty should be designed just like DS or NG - Hard meaning that you can easily die and that you run around at low health. Players SHOULD be forced to vary combos because of tough AI that punishes you for spamming one attack, not for some stupid style meter.

That's how it is in other DMC games. When you first beat Cerberus you don't give a damn that you got a C for the mission, S-ranking is just for replays.
Oh okay.

Would it be better if there were no story at all, just levels one after the other, and you wouldn't control a character, just a faceless figure?

Honestly? It wouldn't be better or worse, in a hack and slash. Story and character matter when there is emphasis on interaction stories and characters in the game - a la adventure games, rpgs, etc. Not that I'm saying a bad story is better than a good story, now. But different genres have needs for different aspects of a game. I would be quite forgiving of the graphics quality of a turn based strategy, tactics, or role playing game. But in a fast paced action game I'd probably care more about graphics.

But in terms of HnS, I don't give a shit about story. As long as the gameplay and encounter design is solid and fun, I'm happy. I mean Codex favorite God Hand is basically no story with levels one after the other and a character that doesn't really have much of a character.

(One caveat though... Any 40k game better have a good story and characters)

Darkforge

Augur
It's actually not that shit.... surprisingly.
It really boils down to if you like the style of game or not. and most here will hate it.
The combat system is deep and rewarding from a reflexes standpoint. No it's not a button masher as I bet everyone is screaming here right now. and thankfully not alot has changed here from the previous iterations in the combat module.
Some of the level design is kinda sureal, and interesting.
The story caught me by surprise, it a tongue and cheek poke at all the "conspiracy/Globalist theories" all rolled into one, add demons... better than I thought it would be.

Yes Dante is still a faggot, now he just looks like he also has aids.
and for fuck sakes if you don't start on Nephilim difficulty your opinion is worthless here...

As far as DMC goes I rate the games the following.

Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry
DMC

The other two and especially DMC 2 can just fuck right off.

Aurelius

Educated
People seem to forget that the style meter was not only there just as a gimmick, but it also had some influence on the gameplay. For example your devil trigger would fill up a lot faster when taunting with an SSS ranking and the button input to pull off a "crazy" combo (like the million stab) was also reduced significantly. You really wanted to keep your style meter high, not just for the final score, and it encouraged players to fight aggressively.

Also, I don't think that the characters and setting are completely unimportant. They don't need to be great, but at the very least they should be consistent throughout the series (otherwise, why is it even part of the series).

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I just started playing this. Played up to the second level and I'm bored out of my mind already. Boring story. Retarded 'edgy' protagonist who likely got molested by his father causing him to become the moron he is. Boring, uninspired combat. Visuals that make me want to scratch my eyes out.

No thanks. I'll rather go do something constructive. Like masturbating, maybe.

Rpgsaurus Rex

1334080263040.jpg

Most curious. Poles, confirm / deny

I'm not a pole but this made my day

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This thread still hasn't been moved to weaboo gaming where it belongs? Decline of Jaesun.
Why is an action game made in the UK on the JRPG discussion forum?

It's a "faithful" remake of a series of japanese games made for a japanese publisher and originally aired during the tokyo game show. It smells plenty japanese :P

But by all means, if you want the desudesudesu stinking up GG as well, be my guest. Just don't come crying when the weaboo krystalnacht ticks over and the threads where peoples eyes are less than 12cm in diameter get ferried off to retardo camps in poland.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So Resident Evil threads go here too? And MGS? Silent Hill? What the hell is General Gaming for? Hosting the best thread ever?

Isn't this supposed to be one of RPG subforums? DMC has nothing to do with RPGs. But then again, why am I expecting Codex to make sense all of the sudden?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So Resident Evil threads go here too? And MGS? Silent Hill? What the hell is General Gaming for? Hosting the best thread ever?
And the League of Legends thread.

No, wait. LoL has xp and numbers that increase as you level up. It belongs in GRPGD!

[edit]

Success! Eagerly awaiting the next batch of hate threads in site feedback.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But that's wrong, it's multiplayer so it goes on MMORPGD. :M

But is it MASSIVELY multiplayer? You could play Icewind Dale and Neverwinter nights in multiplayer too. (Multiplayer was arguably the only reason you'd play NWN in the first place). Do they belong in MMORPGD?

Maybe we need a new sub-subforum for RPGs that are multiplayer but not massively so. To sate the staffs OCD compulsions to move shit around for no apparent reason.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Goddamn it Ulminati you massive faggot. You know what you just did? You just fucking upped my weeaboo forum post percentage.

:x :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

Edit: And now I just did even more.
:x:x:x:x

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The combat system is deep and rewarding from a reflexes standpoint.
And it is dumbed down from DMC4, which was already dumbed down from DMC3.

No it's not a button masher as I bet everyone is screaming here right now. and thankfully not alot has changed here from the previous iterations in the combat module.
Have you even played DMC3? You can repeat 1 or 2 demon weapon attacks and you get SSS in seconds. And I'm not exagerating. The combat it easier even at higher difficulties, you can juggle the enemies in the air easily and you can stay in the air forever if you want.
and for fuck sakes if you don't start on Nephilim difficulty your opinion is worthless here...
Nephilim difficulty is a must, I agree, if you have played any DMC games before. But if you have, this mode will still be piss easy. Son of Sparda is starting to get a bit difficult, but nothing serious. DMD mode is hard but it is easier then in DMC3.

As far as DMC goes I rate the games the following.

Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry
DMC

The other two and especially DMC 2 can just fuck right off.
Even with its faults, DMC4 is still better than this piece of garbage.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
This thread still hasn't been moved to weaboo gaming where it belongs? Decline of Jaesun.
Why is an action game made in the UK on the JRPG discussion forum?

The forum is for discussing Weaboo games. Naming your company Ninja Theory is the definition of Weaboo.
What is the word before "weeaboo" in the forum name
read it slowly to me
slowly and sexily

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom