Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry

Gerrard

Arcane
I love how you get a shot of his retarded face every 30 seconds while fighting (when some new enemies appear) for no fucking reason. It just begs for a punch.

Cool name

Arcane
Yep in Dark Souls you can't risk anything because you will have to repeat running through the same corridor repeating exactly the same shit. Every time. But guess what - that's not challenging. It's just annoying.

If you can take risks the game is not challenging enough. If you do take a risk and fail you have to be punished. If the game is not challenging why do you need to replay the exact same shit? You do it because you were unworthy of clearing the area in one go, which does mean the challenge was beyond your measly skill.

Pansy. *shrug*

SearchEngine

Learned
So? You do get penalized for the same moves on style meter and it's just as hard to get SSS as it is in DMC4.
But how does it affect the gameplay?

The style system is dumbed down. In DMC3, you need to keep up the combo to keep your SSS and do it all at once. In DmC, players could just hit one enemy with three slow attacks and have gotten SSS. Not to mention just level it up and retreat ad nauseum. It kind of ruins the fun in a franchise in which one of its appeal is pulling off deep, complex moves while facing challenging enemies.

Yeah it's just shit.

Because it's not fast enough for your ADHD brain?

QTEs? Glitchy boss fights? And that's all? Are you that retarded you can't even elaborate your point? Pointing out where exactly did you spot QTEs in DMC would be a good start.

I don't see you being the bundle of intelligence elaborating your own points either. Others have already shown videos of how terribly glitchy or easy the boss fights are. As far as QTEs are concerned, seeing as how you once equate Dark Souls' combat to QTE, I'd like to know what exactly would that make DmC's color-at-the-right-time moments?

Yep in Dark Souls you can't risk anything because you will have to repeat running through the same corridor repeating exactly the same shit. Every time. But guess what - that's not challenging. It's just annoying.

Only if you don't bother to learn from your mistakes, just like any respectable game. Sorry you can't save scum your way to victory.

There's nothing challenging about RMB for block and LMB for attack.
Holding RMB all the time and standing in one place being afraid to move waiting for an actual QTE prompt in enemy's repetitive animation - that's a one fun hack n slash.

Having simple controls =/= challenge of the game. The boss fights in the Souls games can pretty much kill you in a couple of hits and you can't use only one exploited strategy to carry you throughout for the rest of the game. Button-smashing and not learning to properly combat specific enemies can get you to see the game over screen really quickly (which is what I suspect you did). In DmC, axe + demon dodge.

Yes I am. Your point being?
That getting on Dark Souls over repeat running and doing the same shit is hilarious.

Who gives a shit if you think that Dark Souls is some deep challenging RPG?
Hey, you're the one who couldn't read properly and assumed I was comparing them as hns.

The point is that if you praise a piece of shit that is Dark Souls gameplay (and combat in particular) you have no right to criticize anything in DMC.
...I mean... really? Are you really serious?

You have got to be oblivious as fuck if you can't obviously see DmC being made the way it was to appeal to casuals. For fuck sake, if you can easily get a triple S score on even higher difficulties from a franchise in which the styling moves are the appealing parts that makes DMC fun, then something is wrong. If you find Darks Souls blocking and attacking to be piece of shit gameplay, yet have no problem with the previous statement, you are not in any position to cry about decline.

praetor

Arcane
ITT skyway gets once again exposed for the faux-elite, harbinger-of-decline moron that he always was

"baaaaah a gaem makes me repeat the same area because no save-scumming and i suck. decline! weeeeeeeee i can achieve maximum rating by repeatedly mashing the same button! incline!!!!!!" that's skyway for you, folks :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't understand what's so difficult to get.

You don't get to progress until you're good enough. Everything else is popamole decline. If you're not good enough you don't get to continue. Practice harder. You're not entitled to "defeat" a game. Especially not a game that was advertised as a challenge. Only prudence, skill and planning will allow you to finish games like that.

Also DmC is a casual shit game for casuals, everyone else plays DMC 3 or Bayonetta or God Hand or Ninja Gaiden, the holy four peaks of hardcore action gaming.

Also let me point out that the most difficult games look downright easy when played by a master. This is by design and not at all representative of the experience you and me will have playing them, unless we were willing to put far too many hours into them. They're almost like little art forms, or a sport.

Come to think of this, people complaining about things being "too hard" is why we have shitty RPGs now, with terrible combat. We live in too fast times. People do not want to put in the time anymore it takes to enjoy a proper game- they want some casual drivel that they will forget in a week, not some experience that gives with one hand and takes from you with the other. That is why games are so simple now that you need no more manuals, that is why tutorials are made for the imbecile and the child that cannot yet read and that is why difficult (or "normally difficult") games are being an ever-shrinking niche, for which we must praise every entry because it is a miracle a developer had the guts to make one of these unloved, challenging games in this day and age of decline.

Ermm

Erudite
Skyway:
dislikes Dark Souls for being a QT fest (tip: it's not)
likes Fahrenheit

So, whose credibility is down in toilet?

Also, don't be too harsh on him because he likes the new DMC. His posts in this thread just stinks of apologetic DMC fanboy.

But to be honest, I think the new DMC is pretty fun though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It might be fun, but it's a different style of game than it used to be. Fair?

Dark Souls: You have to redo parts of levels when you die. Horrible shit.

DmC: You have to redo parts of levels when you die. But you'll never die because the game is easy as fuck. 10/10 GotY.

-- Skyway

Cool name

Arcane
It might be fun, but it's a different style of game than it used to be. Fair?

It is not really that different. It is however a much worse and simple game than DMC3.

It was still kind of fun for what little I did play it. The graphics are good, the animations are fluid and do have a bit of character, the zones are atmospheric, the changing world is cool. Dante is less of a disappointment than I did expect him to be. By which I do mean he is a moron and kind of stupid and but pretty hot when seen in movement. Screenshots do not do him justice.

And it is extremely easy. As in... WTF easy.

That aside the game does try too hard. DMC3 was cool. DMC is just... edgy. And try-hard. It does make me smile every now and then, but most of the time I do just cringe.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, from what I've played of it the game does look very nice. All I think is that the gameplay should've been handed to people who don't think their audience is stupid, and that someone who actually knows how to write slap Tameem into his place (i.e. bump Alex Garland back up to a position where he can actually point out how his view of 'cool' is retarded).

It does serve as a somewhat decent DMC-lite experience. I'd probably recommend it to someone who's unfamiliar with Hack and Slash as a good starting point to ease them into the genre.

Tehdagah

Arcane
this literally comes down to gameplay mechanics

I want examples of why DmC's gameplay is as good as previous instalment's

Saying "it's as good" is not in fact an example

now please
Uh? It's the same thing, but with better camera and controls.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

now please
Uh? It's the same thing, but with better camera and controls.

Just the fact that it doesn't have lock on (not talking about auto) means it's vastly different.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Not to mention how half the gameplay in DMC is the combo system and on this one you can get Squirrel Semen! just doing an attack chain.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
"pretty hot when seen in movement. Screenshots do not do him justice."

ITT we learn that bc prefers men to go commando.

kdfRZ6o.gif

As for the game, I know nothing about how it plays, but what I've heard of its mediocre high-school level 'satire' makes me think it'd stretch my levels of tolerance. I can take normal derp, but when it's derp that's trying to shove an irrelevant and unnuanced political message down my throat, it gets annoying. "GUYZ GUYZ OUR VILLAIN IS AN INVESTMENT BANKER, GET IT WEALTHY PEOPLE ARE BAD FUCK CONSUMERISM FUCK DA POLICE!"

Also Dante has the dress sense of a SoHo faggot trying way too hard. That's not really relevant to the game itself though.

K guys, back to the scheduled program. I'm quite enjoying watching everyone else being the skyway to skyway. Up is down and black is white.

Cool name

Arcane
"pretty hot when seen in movement. Screenshots do not do him justice."

ITT we learn that bc prefers men to go commando.

kdfRZ6o.gif

That scene and the one right before it are exactly what I was thinking about when I did write that. :oops:

I was there, sitting in front of the TV. He does open the door. My first thought is "Nice bod." My second thought is how very curious I am feeling.

As for the game, I know nothing about how it plays, but what I've heard of its mediocre high-school level 'satire' makes me think it'd stretch my levels of tolerance. I can take normal derp, but when it's derp that's trying to shove an irrelevant and unnuanced political message down my throat, it gets annoying. "GUYZ GUYZ OUR VILLAIN IS AN INVESTMENT BANKER, GET IT WEALTHY PEOPLE ARE BAD FUCK CONSUMERISM FUCK DA POLICE!"

The story is indeed very much so. Demon bankers. Evil media corporations. Demon newscasters. The 'good guys' presented as terrorists. The president of the US a powerless puppet in the hand of evil infernal conspirators behind the scenes. It will make you cringe.

If you stop the gif at the right frame that pizza slice looks like a large veiny cock.

Yes. And there's also the baseball bat. :P

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

The story is indeed very much so. Demon bankers. Evil media corporations. Demon newscasters. The 'good guys' presented as terrorists. The president of the US a powerless puppet in the hand of evil infernal conspirators behind the scenes. It will make you cringe.
To be honest it can be quite entertaining if you ignore the fact that the writers think it's intelligent satire or something. Because mang...Vergil is the leader of anonymous, he wears a fedora and everything...not even the japs can come up with something like that. :lol:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Despite pizza's best efforts we still bore witness to Neo-Dante's shaft and scrotum.

LundB

Mistakes were made.

To be honest it can be quite entertaining if you ignore the fact that the writers think it's intelligent satire or something. Because mang...Vergil is the leader of anonymous, he wears a fedora and everything...not even the japs can come up with something like that. :lol:

Sadly they do, and so do others. This article was enough to convince me I wouldn't be able to play this game in any state but a near-constant cringe.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The style system is dumbed down. In DMC3, you need to keep up the combo to keep your SSS and do it all at once. In DmC, players could just hit one enemy with three slow attacks and have gotten SSS. Not to mention just level it up and retreat ad nauseum. It kind of ruins the fun in a franchise in which one of its appeal is pulling off deep, complex moves while facing challenging enemies.
Can you fucking explain to me how does it affect the gameplay finally? This is the 3rd time I'm asking and you still can't answer a simple question. Are you that dumb?

I don't see you being the bundle of intelligence elaborating your own points either.
Try wiping off your tears over Dante with a different haircut and read what I write. I post arguments about this and that but you keep whining about some shitty text in the corner of a screen somehow changing the game.

Others have already shown videos of how terribly glitchy or easy the boss fights are.
In Dark Souls? Yeah. In my video the dragon didn't even manage to hit the dude once because of how crappy game's design is.
So CHALLENGING.

As far as QTEs are concerned, seeing as how you once equate Dark Souls' combat to QTE, I'd like to know what exactly would that make DmC's color-at-the-right-time moments?
So you can't point me to QTEs in DmC? Thought so.

Only if you don't bother to learn from your mistakes, just like any respectable game. Sorry you can't save scum your way to victory.
You learn nothing in Dark Souls. It's just hitting the attack button at the right time, and if you fuck it up you get punished - just like in QTEs.

Having simple controls =/= challenge of the game.
Dumbed down combat where all you can do is block and swing != simple controls. It's just a dumbed down combat where all you do is hitting (A)wesome button.

The boss fights in the Souls games can pretty much kill you in a couple of hits and you can't use only one exploited strategy to carry you throughout for the rest of the game.
Button-smashing and not learning to properly combat specific enemies can get you to see the game over screen really quickly (which is what I suspect you did).
What is there to learn in Dark Souls? Block + swing? Deep.

In DmC, axe + demon dodge
Yeah especially vs. those enemies that are immune to it.

That getting on Dark Souls over repeat running and doing the same shit is hilarious.
Do you even know what ArmA is or how it plays? It's not a shitty corridor where you must always go same way and do same shit.

Hey, you're the one who couldn't read properly and assumed I was comparing them as hns.
They are hns.

You have got to be oblivious as fuck if you can't obviously see DmC being made the way it was to appeal to casuals. For fuck sake, if you can easily get a triple S score on even higher difficulties from a franchise in which the styling moves are the appealing parts that makes DMC fun, then something is wrong. If you find Darks Souls blocking and attacking to be piece of shit gameplay, yet have no problem with the previous statement, you are not in any position to cry about decline.
Good thing I play games for gameplay not for retarded score to wank off your spergers like dumbfucks like you.

And Dark Souls isn't for casuals with its slowass 2 button combat? Aww gawd gamepad haz too many buttanz - I only need the (A)wesome one.

now please

Tons of combos with multiple weapons. Except can now use different weapons without switching.
No health regen. No QTEs. Boss fights are still fight-as-you-like.

That's all that there ever was to Devil May Cry series and it's no different here.

Seeing how the only two complaints there are are about Dante's haircut and score calculation - the game is fine.

SearchEngine

Learned
Can you fucking explain to me how does it affect the gameplay finally? This is the 3rd time I'm asking and you still can't answer a simple question. Are you that dumb?

Apparently, you're slow as hell so let me put it in terms you'll understand:

One. of. the. main. highlights. of. the. gameplay. that. people. play. Devil. May. Cry. for. is. ruined.

Are you this stupid to not know that dumbing down the challenge and the fun of the fucking combat can make the game worse?

Try wiping off your tears over Dante with a different haircut and read what I write. I post arguments about this and that but you keep whining about some shitty text in the corner of a screen somehow changing the game.

Gotta love how incredibly butthurt you sound here.

In Dark Souls? Yeah. In my video the dragon didn't even manage to hit the dude once because of how crappy game's design is.
So CHALLENGING.

Apparently, you are also too dumb to know the difference between a player being good against the dragon while that video with Dante's fight against Vergil would have Dante standing there doing nothing and Vergil not once strike him.

So you can't point me to QTEs in DmC? Thought so.

So you have no argument? Gotcha.

You learn nothing in Dark Souls. It's just hitting the attack button at the right time, and if you fuck it up you get punished - just like in QTEs.

That is a dipshit argument. Of course in video games if don't attack and defend yourself at the right time and fuck up, you get punished. According to you, your precious ArmA 2 is a qte galore if you don't cover at the right time and fuck it up, one-shot and you get killed.

Dumbed down combat where all you can do is block and swing != simple controls. It's just a dumbed down combat where all you do is hitting (A)wesome button.

Dude, block and swing are simple. It also doesn't work as an (A)wesome button if you can't button smash it against enemies (which is what the term (A)wesome button is referring to). Dumbed down does not mean having only few ways to fight. It refers to designing a part for the sole purpose of putting little to no thought. The combat in Dark Souls was designed around the philosophy of being simple to use, but hard to master. It is easy knowing how to use the combat, but how you implement against bosses and enemies is not. You should know since you were whining about how you need to not fuck up in order to progress.

What is there to learn in Dark Souls? Block + swing? Deep.

Because combat apparently is the only thing to understand about any video game. :roll:

Yeah especially vs. those enemies that are immune to it.

Few enemies. Wee.

Do you even know what ArmA is or how it plays? It's not a shitty corridor where you must always go same way and do same shit.

It's a shitty warfest where you do nothing but shoot and cover no matter where you go.

They are hns.

You call me an asperger yet you're dumb enough to label Dark Souls as an hns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom