Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Diablo 2 Resurrected Pregandering Video

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think the biggest area that D2 improved over D1 was character progression. The skill system of D2 is a big improvement over the fairly sterile progression in the first game.

Agreed. Compare and contrast what Blizzard North did with Diablo's character system in the leap made from Diablo to Diablo 2 with what Bethesda does with all their CRPGs. I'm not sure why Bethesda thinks that the more you strip away from the character system, the better the game will be when you consider the trend most "Action RPGs" did between their first and second games. Though, this trend kind of reverses itself with several Action RPGs between the sequel and the third in the series, as is the case with Torchlight and Sacred. Also, I don't think those twos' third iterations sold well with their more streamlined character system once the word got out.

Duralux for Durabux

I think the biggest area that D2 improved over D1 was character progression. The skill system of D2 is a big improvement over the fairly sterile progression in the first game.

D1 definitely wins for atmosphere though.
Yes and everything other than character progression has been massively dumbed down
Story is no more interesting
Gameplay is repetive and trash while in the first one it was simplimistic at first and then gets complex as more as you progress into hell and depending on the class you begun with
Athmosphere has been terribly dumbed down, Diablo 2 is already more like Disneyland compared to Diablo 1. In diablo 1, you can hear horror screams, calls to Satan, Cathedral's bells, and other horrific ringtones.
Graphics have been dumbed down
In addition to that they added grinding to diablo which is an horrible feature. Every foes you defeat in Diablo 1 don't reappear. It means that you actually killed them for a purpose. If they always reappear there is no longer a reason for killing them.
Character build freedom has been removed, you can no longer build a sorcerer that plays like a warrior and the contrary is not possible as well.
Items in diablo 1 have downsides and bonuses. In diablo 2 every items give bonuses.
Edit : I forgot to mention that the possibility of dying was a thing in Diablo 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I remember being on edge in Diablo when I got to a new level of the dungeon until I got used to what it was throwing at me. Diablo 2, I only got that feeling a few times my first time through. Even though I think the Hell tileset in Diablo is a little lackluster, I first went in to Hell with a group in multiplayer... And we stuck together like glue! I didn't want to go there solo. It was pretty crazy when we got to the wizard guy and some of the people I was with started dying. Diablo 2 didn't offer that, really. It could be that I was used to it from playing Diablo, but I don't remember feeling uneasy as much in Diablo 2 as I did in Diablo 1. Hell in Diablo 2 wasn't nearly as terrifying with the exception of the cathedral the first time you went there.

Duralux for Durabux

I remember being on edge in Diablo when I got to a new level of the dungeon until I got used to what it was throwing at me. Diablo 2, I only got that feeling a few times my first time through. Even though I think the Hell tileset in Diablo is a little lackluster, I first went in to Hell with a group in multiplayer... And we stuck together like glue! I didn't want to go there solo. It was pretty crazy when we got to the wizard guy and some of the people I was with started dying. Diablo 2 didn't offer that, really. It could be that I was used to it from playing Diablo, but I don't remember feeling uneasy as much in Diablo 2 as I did in Diablo 1. Hell in Diablo 2 wasn't nearly as terrifying with the exception of the cathedral the first time you went there.
I can argue day and night how diablo 2 was the diablo 3 of 2000. Just pure waste of potential.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Am I the only one put off by miss man face/hands Amazon?
Mhtlvxf.jpg

Then again, maybe she was always a tad homely... dunno...
o51EYlU.jpg

1F9Bjsa.png

6nKDwPu.png

Bat74Dg.png

ZbpUsaV.jpg

Hmmm.... didn't know this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Blizzard client says D2R is Win10 only game... how the fuck do you make a graphic overhaul only for a game that worked on Win XP or before and make it Win 10 only...fuck you Blizzard. I will not get Win10 even for your remaster.

Duralux for Durabux

Blizzard client says D2R is Win10 only game... how the fuck do you make a graphic overhaul only for a game that worked on Win XP or before and make it Win 10 only...fuck you Blizzard. I will not get Win10 even for your remaster.
How can you find an interest in Diablo 2? beside trying to get the best gear of the game which means killing the same demons in the same places until they potentially drop something interesting, there's nothing else of interest to do. This remaster offers nothing interesting just like the original game. Play Diablo 1, it's a much better game in pretty much every categories despite what luj1 might say. I proved it by fact, he proved nothing, he just constantly retardo'ed my post. It's a sign of weakness more than anything.

Hellion

Arcane
Desire for the remake is 1% "Diablo 3 is dead anyway so I need my Diablo fix before 4 comes out", 1% "I'm a zoomer who wants to see what the fuss was all about", and 98% nostalgia for the game people played with their friends when they were young and carefree. Not that complicated.

Sentinel

Arcane
This is a good remaster. Way better one could hope for. Especially from the Blizzard of late.
It even has a switch to the original graphics among the other good features.
But here we are
one of the comments was wondering why they never remastered the original. I'd be down for that too
Fucking rant for the sake of rant.
It's not actually made by Blizzard, but Vicarious Visions. It does look and sound really great. I'm glad they introduced controller support but the controller UI (particularly inventory) isn't really to my taste. Wish you could play with the controller but preserve the PC inventory UI.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom