Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I was hoping they'd add the assassin so I could play a cool dude with daggers and a cape, but I guess that would be too close to the monk and demon slayer.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, they're adding necro who has nearly the same spells as witch doctor. Summons, curses, poison. Nothing is stoping them to add assassin.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
They should make Diablo2 use hi-q scaling and widescreen, much less work involved.

NU-BLIZZARD is incapable of making a good Diablo game, they'll just end up condescending to us all over again and making a pile of shit.

Revenant

They should make Diablo2 use hi-q scaling and widescreen, much less work involved.
Didn't Blizzard recently announce that they were even looking to hire in order to do exactly that? Did anybody try any new Diablo 2 patch? You can download the whole game from Battle.net if you bound a legal key to your account. I haven't

Xbalanque

Educated
Didn't Blizzard recently announce that they were even looking to hire in order to do exactly that? Did anybody try any new Diablo 2 patch? You can download the whole game from Battle.net if you bound a legal key to your account. I haven't
I've read somewhere that there is an outrage, cause you can by bundle D1-3 for 100$ (D1 and D2 in HD version that is being prepared) but you cannot buy them separately.

I've recently bought the Ultimate Evil Edition for X-ONE. I was looking for a good game for co-op and read on a few websites that d3 is a good idea. We're nearing an end of the act 1 but the game is wildly repetitive and even changing the difficulty level didn't changed that much. I'm wondering if it will ever pick up and become more interesting.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

It doesn't have scaling or widescreen support AFAIK

Ok...

- This game feels really good to play, but is so abysmally retarded in every other way I'm speechless. Who balanced this game, a braindead chimpanzee? Every good int equip I drop for my Wizard also provides a ton of vit, which makes me an unstoppable killing machine who's also much more tanky than I should be, and I'm even using the glass cannon passive skill. Not to mention, I just finished D1 twice before starting with this game so I clearly remember how you have to make a lot of decisions on that game regarding your equipment, especially between regeneration or flat amounts of HP/MP. In this game, you have everything and then some.

I haven't played this game since the RoS launch but I remember before the auction house was taken down it was completely different. Getting loot that was actually useful for higher difficulties took so many hours of grinding across multiple classes that it was practically impossible or you had to use the real money auction house. With RoS they made loot drops more tailored to your class so I guess they went too far in the other direction.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In RoS the game is all about rifts and GRifts. Getting good gear is almost trivial and you grind for better versions of the same piece.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting good gear by farming in D2 was almost impossible, you had to either buy it, bot for it or be a godlike trader. D3 is much better in this regard. Fuck, even the auction house was better.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Ok...

- This game feels really good to play, but is so abysmally retarded in every other way I'm speechless. Who balanced this game, a braindead chimpanzee? Every good int equip I drop for my Wizard also provides a ton of vit, which makes me an unstoppable killing machine who's also much more tanky than I should be, and I'm even using the glass cannon passive skill. Not to mention, I just finished D1 twice before starting with this game so I clearly remember how you have to make a lot of decisions on that game regarding your equipment, especially between regeneration or flat amounts of HP/MP. In this game, you have everything and then some.

- The numbers are too big, like jRPG big. D1 had elegant smaller numbers that you could quantify. I barely started playing this game and I'm already dealing more than 5k damage on crits. You can't keep track of what's huge damage and what's not, everything is just huge numbers popping everywhere.

- Why the fuck am I regenerating - in a Wizard - 170 HP every second? I can leave my character in the middle of a mob and go take a piss, when I come back he's full HP outhealing all the damage. I literally just did this, in fact. I don't think I've seen this in any game, ever. Not even in the most dumbed down piece of shit I've played before I'd survive being AFK with a supposedly squishy character (using a passive skill called glass cannon) being beaten by a mob.

- I've already changed the difficulty to expert and I'm still yet to see my HP go lower than 80%. What the fuck is going on?

There is no reason whatsoever to play on normal like you are doing unless you are literally retarded (and even then...).

Revenant

Getting good gear by farming in D2 was almost impossible, you had to either buy it, bot for it or be a godlike trader. D3 is much better in this regard. Fuck, even the auction house was better.
I meant that the key to success was iterating the perfect stats on name-identical items, not minding whether the gear was farmed by yourself or someone else.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I meant that the key to success was iterating the perfect stats on name-identical items, not minding whether the gear was farmed by yourself or someone else.

I was responding to xor. Probably should have quoted him to avoid confusion.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Getting good gear by farming in D2 was almost impossible, you had to either buy it, bot for it or be a godlike trader.
This is pretty much only true if you believe that you need enigmas, sojs, shakos, verdungos and some other crazy items to achieve your goal. It might only hold true if your desired endgame is PvP (and even there I'd assume that build choice will trounce the necessity for lucrative riches), but if your endgame is to reach Hell, get high-leveled, kill the Ubers, etc., every class had a build that you could complete with items for a few Perfect Gems.

All ranged casters only needed +skills to prevail - and that category includes some classic, no-brainer, killer builds like dual-element Sorceress (Act 2 Drognan on Normal difficulty can be shopped for a +3/+3 staff socketable with little trouble, mana problems are easily dealt with by just quaffing a lot, and overall, you only need +skill items which should be abundant; amulets that give +skills are common and often drop with +life and +mana), Lightning Javelin Amazon (can wreak havoc with a Cracked Javelin, but Titan's Revenge, the ultimate Java weapon, is a fairly common artifact that drops as early as normal Baal), Lightning / Death Sentry Trap Assassin, Cold Elemental Druid, and, finally, everyone's "favourite", Blessed Hammer Paladin.

Summoner Necromancer is in his own special category because he can beat the game naked by judicious use of curses and careful play while having 20 skels do his work and just Corpse Exploding the whole map for a massive, area-clearing chain reaction. Summoner Necro's self-reliance make MF% items great on him, because no matter what you give him, proper play will prevail anyway. Summoner Necro can be a great MFer in Hardcore mode. You can even play the ever-so-giggle-inducing Boner Nec and simply generate Corpse Explosion fodder using your Bone Spear.

It wasn't perfect - physical damage dealers were really weapon-reliant, so you really did have to farm up a bit for those. Not to mention the requirements for Attack Rating, Defense, and higher HP pools than non-martials. You can still make a melee that's exempt from this problem - just give him a massive, naturally high damaging ability (Paladin's Holy Shock/Freeze, Fireclaws Werebear Druid, Berserker Barbarian, Phoenix Striker Assassin), some Crushing Blow against Immunes to their respective elements (super common on Exceptional and Elite items, and you can craft gloves that increase this statistic as well), and pump their Attack Speed high.

My Fireclaws Werebear used a crappy, shopped dagger that only gave +40% to IAS and erased Nightmare with it without dying once. In Hell, the era of Fire Immunes did screw up his killing speed, but then I found a Baranar's Star - not a crazily difficult thing to find. In a party environment, which I sometimes played in, I was still relevant with just spamming the extremely strong AoE stun on Shockwave, and, of course, all that had no fire resistance still got pummeled to bits. Even if you had no luck whatsoever, you can find a white Phase Blade and forge 6 sockets in it at Larzuk's, which is guaranteed, and just stack it with Shaels (just run some Countess for that). Some Normal and Nightmare-tier items, like Bonesnap, Ribcracker, or Butcher's Pupil, can be upgraded at a modest price to retain relevancy way into Hell difficulty. The above is true for pretty much any elemental-reliant melee.

But even pure physical damage dealers can be made cheaply - they might be a bit of a pain to run untwinked, but they will work. Just stack Crushing Blow. A very cheap build specifically designed to clear Uber Tristram is a Smite Paladin who uses Normal difficulty-tier crap like Goblin Toe for equipment - stuff that a permanent Mephisto/WSK/CS/area85 runner just vendors instantly at Charsi's is gold to someone who is just starting out. But good items for physical damage dealers are more common than you'd think, still, and there's a lot of tricks to help you.

Nevertheless, every class has a build that can complete the whole game without bonus farming at all (just full-clearing everything), and can even do that without completely murdering their killspeed. Note that many builds also exist whose endgame isn't to fullclear the game at all - Blizzard Sorceresses are often made solely for stacking Magic Find, and they do not have to progress beyond Act 3 Hell, so that they can endlessly spam Mephisto/Ancient Tunnels/Andariel/Countess. Some people make oddball builds solely to cruise through Nightmare and park their character in Hell - one guy, back in D2Classic days, completed a Firebolt Sorceress hardcore run on Nightmare and ran some bonus restrictions on top of only ever using unsynergized Firebolt and Warmth.

With all that in mind, I'm kinda considering if I should get into Diablo 3 or Path of Exile, because I like the genre and don't mind Good For What It Is, and the social aspect manages to usually increase enjoyment from playing subpar games. It's mostly that D3 is still horrifyingly expensive.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Yes, I know you can do stuff with shit gear. I finished nightmare with a skystrike and other junk on my amazon. Being able to complete objectives with shit gear does not make the shit gear good. Even (relatively) common uniques like homunculus take forever to farm if you're playing by yourself.

Bottom line is that Diablo 2's drop rates are atrociously bad and it it weren't for botters you couldn't even trade for lower grade end game equipment becuase nobody would want to trade it away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom