Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Drew

Savant
Did that change? I thought you were saying that higher "torment" levels were just dropping more loot.

My point was, higher torment levels drop more loot and they should drop more powerful loot instead. More powerful on average at least, though having unique legendaries and a higher iLVL cap for higher difficulty tiers would serve as an additional motivation. Keep in mind that iLVL and item level requirement are not the same thing.

Right now, the player will try to maximize the amount of drops per hour, because more drops = higher chance of getting an upgrade. This encourages facerolling through easy content, because faster killing either largely negates the lower droprate, or even outweighs it - meaning you can actually get more drops per hour, if you play on a lower difficulty. Instead, the player should forced to farm the most difficult content he can survive in.

That's exactly how it was before this though.
You'd go on the highest MP you could before feeling the HP bloat, and then you'd farm act3 for all of the ilvl63s.

I agree with your point, that say Torment 3+ should be the only place to drop ilvl 63s at level 60. But, as it is, nothing has changed.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I reinstalled to check out the new patch (hey, fuck it, I already paid for the base game). They nerfed archon so I can't stay in it for minutes at a time. I am unsure I ever want to play again.

aris

Arcane
Damn I had forgotten how fun it can be to play D3. Especially as the monk, which is imo the most well made class in D3. Just his battle cries alone are worth it, hearing him shout THE GODS STRIKE THROUGH ME as you proc an insane critical or BREAK BENEATH THE ENDLESS TIDE as you punch and kick yourself through a bunch of low hp mobs at a staggering rate will never get old.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn I had forgotten how fun it can be to play D3. Especially as the monk, which is imo the most well made class in D3. Just his battle cries alone are worth it, hearing him shout THE GODS STRIKE THROUGH ME as you proc an insane critical or BREAK BENEATH THE ENDLESS TIDE as you punch and kick yourself through a bunch of low hp mobs at a staggering rate will never get old.

inigomontoya.jpg

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Did that change? I thought you were saying that higher "torment" levels were just dropping more loot.

My point was, higher torment levels drop more loot and they should drop more powerful loot instead. More powerful on average at least, though having unique legendaries and a higher iLVL cap for higher difficulty tiers would serve as an additional motivation. Keep in mind that iLVL and item level requirement are not the same thing.

Right now, the player will try to maximize the amount of drops per hour, because more drops = higher chance of getting an upgrade. This encourages facerolling through easy content, because faster killing either largely negates the lower droprate, or even outweighs it - meaning you can actually get more drops per hour, if you play on a lower difficulty. Instead, the player should be forced to farm the most difficult content he can survive in.

What are you on about? Have you read what the different difficulties actually change or at least played the new patch at all?

Each new difficulty only affects gold find, bonus experience and legendary drop rate (this last one only for torment levels). It doesn't even change your magic find, which means that, item-wise, all you're getting is an improved chance to get a legendary from the same fixed number of items you'd be encountering on any difficulty, which, by the way is exactly what you seem to be asking for. If you had played in torment you'd have seen that elite packs are dropping about 1-3 items, always.

Nobody should be forced to farm shit, everybody should take play the game as they see fit. Having seen the improvements they made all around, I honestly am looking forward to the expansion.

And by the way, if anyone actually wants a challenge and to feel tension while playing, hardcore mode awaits.

Last edited:
Unwanted

aktillum

Unwanted
Advertising plant
I need to reinstall D3, haven't played in like 2 years. My little level 60 Witchdoctor will probably get destroyed.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I play on "Americas" server: Gaylussac#1605

Anyone interested in grouping can friend me. Just, ffs, if you see I'm on my hardcore character send a message asking if it's ok to enter the game or not. The monsters get stronger and your follower leaves, could lead to character death.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
LogicError#1267.

No idea how much I'm going to be playing this; it really just depends on how bored I get.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Yeah, I'm playing hearthstone atm mostly and got titanfall to be downloaded. How about we group for the expansion?

Brandon

Educated
Man, they are really pulling out all the stops for nostalgia. They already added some D2 similar abilities like frost orb and a witch doctor themed amplify damage, and now all the Act V levels are going to be Westmarch, Blood Marsh, Pandemonium... remember that game Diablo 2? So do we! Those cruel bastards.

edit: I guess Blood Marsh isn't same as Blood Moors. Oh well what do I know about Diablo lore.

aris

Arcane
Blizzard are truly damned if they don't and damned if they do. Diablo 3 gets released: It doesn't look enough like diablo 2! Expansion gets released, criticism: It looks like diablo 2!

Exploring the pandemonium fortress can potentially be interesting. I believe a level from this fortress was in the original version of D3 that got scrapped.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Looks like Blizzard finally learned to make exciting trailers. Already preordered :bounce:

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course. How could they forget the ingredients for an exciting game trailer?

-Fast cuts
-Electronic music

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you're selling a action game, why not? Better than how they did with vanilla D3, that was all about CG cutscenes and no gameplay...

Akratus

Patron
CG indeed. Not storytelling or cinematography or atmosphere.

There was gameplay. But it is a shadow, hewn from the already barely decent diablo 2 gameplay.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
cant wait to play the new content on hardcore, die, and then never play it again

Brandon

Educated
Blizzard are truly damned if they don't and damned if they do. Diablo 3 gets released: It doesn't look enough like diablo 2! Expansion gets released, criticism: It looks like diablo 2!

I'm not mad at them making it like D2 cause I think its a bad design choice, just the opposite. I'm mad cause its tempting me to buy! I was actually expecting a Pandemonium Fortress styled level in D3, and while the choice to go to Heaven was interesting it was also something of a disappointment cause I was expecting more of Hell.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I reinstalled D3 a few days ago because this patch fixes a lot of problems. Then I ran the game and saw my male Wizard char from 2 years ago, who still looks like an Asian woman...

:negative:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
To me, the pre-RoS patch is two-fold sword for few reasons;

2.0 loot system is very good, I'd even say amazing compared to the shamble of system we had and as such I will give it full pass, thumbs up and pat on back.

The new difficulty system however at best is meh, I personally enjoyed the old one as invidual feature A TON more. Right now when I go through difficulties it just feels like HP bloat up to 1000000x while damage doesn't scale nowhere near the same speed (of the mobs that is). What happens is that you end up whacking mobs with silly amounts of HP for long whiles, while not really feeling threatened.

This is most noticeable when starting from scratch. I used to love starting new HC characters from scratch, which of course means Normal first. To this, added +10 monster power gave the much missed sense of extra danger as the mobs were more healthier and stronger, often even two shotting you before gearing up a bit. And you still were able to kill them in very sensible time, be it solo or in party.

I tried this new thing with friend, toggled Torment 6 (Which I assume is the closest thing MP10 in old system as other difficulties have no varities) and started new chars. We spent next 30 minutes or so just clearing to the first gate, not because it was hard, but because every and each mob took fucking long time to die.

This is only worsened by the fact that level scaling is now a thing (probably the worst single feature of any RPG) so when we killed mobs, they gained immense amounts of more HP while our damage didn't scale up at all on same rate and when we had items that gave us a momentary boost, yet another levelup diminished majority of it's effects.

Only solution was of course to lower the difficulty ba because fuck spending 3-5+ minutes on single mob without balls.

I'm not saying Normal +10 MP was hard. But it definately was more interesting and all around better balanced experience.

I just wish they would've slapped the 2.0 loot over the old system and not go any further with it.

Then there's the Adventure mode, parts of which were meant to be pre-expansion feature as well. Without it, I have very little incentive to go farm again on my max level character and the promised "well shaped end game for Diablo 3" simply isn't there. Can only raise my middle finger at their direction regarding that money-grup decision.

Overall, nice job with the loot. The rest didn't necessarily need tinkering at all.

Steve

Augur
Torment 6 is actually much more difficult than MP10 in comparison. You're in no ways supposed to play with that difficulty when leveling a new character. Expert or master would be the right difficulty.

In normal difficulty MP 10 the monsters had 400% more HP and 200% damage. In torment 6 the numbers are 8590% HP and 2540% damage

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Torment 6 is actually much more difficult than MP10 in comparison. You're in no ways supposed to play with that difficulty when leveling a new character. Expert or master would be the right difficulty.

In normal difficulty MP 10 the monsters had 400% more HP and 200% damage. In torment 6 the numbers are 8590% HP and 2540% damage

Relative to level and damage, don't you see bloat there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom