Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Shralla

Educated
I don't like the fact that one of the fixes to the loot system involves tailoring drops to your class, which only needs to be done because of the stupid class restrictions in the game, which only needed to be put in because of the removal of stat customization, which means that even the fix for this game can be traced back to a core gameplay mechanic that I don't like at all.

Also Diablo isn't an MMO. This idea that an MMO is defined by anything other than a massive number of people all playing together in the same world is stupid.

Shralla

Educated
A bunch of equipment or weapons are restricted by class, whereas in Diablo II gear was restricted by stats, which meant that very often certain classes wouldn't be able to use certain weapons, but since you could fully customize your stats, you could end up with a necromancer using a big axe and other fun combinations like that. This is based mostly on reading about the updates to the loot system and people's responses to it, mind you. I didn't play much Diablo 3 because I decided I didn't care for it very early on.

thexspr

Educated
There was class-specific pieces in d2x and there was nothing wrong with it. Still nothing wrong with them in d3 either. And in d3 your chances to end up with big axe as caster class - heymumbutitsfun! - are disproportionately larger too. Do you just bitch for the sake of it?

Farage

Arcane
Patron
With over 300 hours of gameplay in D3 and 500U$ profit from the RMAH i want to assume that this patch will not change much.
I still remember seeing people complaining on the forums about how the game is not finished and how they needed to change a lot of things in the upcoming patches.
In one entire year of patches, all we got was something in legendary item stats and a few classes nerfed cause they were facerolling inferno.
And thats not even talking about the constant spam in chat from third party asian services on money bots.
The public were treated like in a Korean MMO, where theres none to non-existent community managers and the ones active just straight up delete topics that are considered "negative".
Even if someone makes a 20 hours-long video explaining about how the raper of faggots changed d3 for good i will never submit my money, patience and time to blizzard's community system ever again.

Avellion

Erudite
So my friends dragged me back into the game because of this patch, and I can summarize my experience like this.
  • Level scaling. Oblivion style.
  • Game showers you in yellow and legendary loot, this overabundance of high quality loot ultimately makes things more boring and extremely easy now (to make matters worse to unlock difficulty settings 5-10 you need a level 60 char), because you will pretty much only ever find stuff that is good for you and combined with level scaling always at your level, takes away from that feeling when you finally find something good.
  • Itemization has improved somewhat with items that amplify specific skills and others that have interesting effects on them. Like my 2h sword which summons a demon when I attack enemies.
  • The new "audio logs" you find are almost as poorly written as those in the base game.
  • The elites are still FAR more deadly than any of the bosses. The prime evil himherself has nothing on those vortex, waller, arcane, frozen elites running around.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tried this new patch in co-op with my brother, was way more fun than at launch, but it still full of annoying stuff. We started from scratch on the new Expert setting, and while Act 1 and 2 were fun and somewhat challenging, Act 3 and 4 were banal as hell, not a single dangerous situation. We burned Diablo easily, without even using a potion. Now we're playing on Torment, and while the challenge is finally interesting, the HP is just atrocious... like 10 seconds of channeling Disintegrate to kill a goddamn zombie.

Loot has become way more interesting, although Rare is the new common and you'll only get excited for legendaries now. And every item you loot is tailored to your class (i.e., every weapon you loot as a mage gives Intellect). While it gives you more stuff to choose, it's also compeltly retarded and kills any trading between friends. On over 20 hours playing I didn't trade a single item with my brother, as he had a Barbarian and I a mage, so the stats never fit.

Also, douchebag move, you can find loot for the expansion-only Crusader while playing on vanilla.

Avellion

Erudite
Tried this new patch in co-op with my brother, was way more fun than at launch, but it still full of annoying stuff. We started from scratch on the new Expert setting, and while Act 1 and 2 were fun and somewhat challenging, Act 3 and 4 were banal as hell, not a single dangerous situation. We burned Diablo easily, without even using a potion. Now we're playing on Torment, and while the challenge is finally interesting, the HP is just atrocious... like 10 seconds of channeling Disintegrate to kill a goddamn zombie.

Loot has become way more interesting, although Rare is the new common and you'll only get excited for legendaries now. And every item you loot is tailored to your class (i.e., every weapon you loot as a mage gives Intellect). While it gives you more stuff to choose, it's also compeltly retarded and kills any trading between friends. On over 20 hours playing I didn't trade a single item with my brother, as he had a Barbarian and I a mage, so the stats never fit.

Also, douchebag move, you can find loot for the expansion-only Crusader while playing on vanilla.
Which Torment level are you playing on? I tried at 6 at first but the HP bloat was just unbearable. So I moved to 3.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We had just reached lv 60, so we are trying Torment 1. The bloat is already a pain, so I can't imagine playing on 3...

Steve

Augur
We had just reached lv 60, so we are trying Torment 1. The bloat is already a pain, so I can't imagine playing on 3...
I assume you're using pre 2.0 gear, the stat gap between pre 2.0 and 2.0 gear is huge. I was able to tackle on torment 1 almost immediately when I dinged 60 on my first HC character .

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It seems I was just unlucky... this baby dropped last time I played, now Torment 1 is great fun:

iUK0j8u.jpg

Avellion

Erudite
2 questions.

1. Where is Magic weapon on your skill bar?
2. What is your attack power. If it is near 60-70k, you should be good to go for Torment 3 without the feeling that the HP bloat is absurd.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
1. Where is Magic weapon on your skill bar?
I'm co-oping with a barbarian, so he goes melee and I focus on being a AoE glass cannon.

2. What is your attack power. If it is near 60-70k, you should be good to go for Torment 3 without the feeling that the HP bloat is absurd.
Is at 42k. My weapon is awesome, but the rest of my equipment is still stuff I got around lv 40. My brother is around 35k, so Torment 1 is good enough for the time being.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I could also get the familiar for another boost, and ditch the frost armor... but then I would be doing like twice the damage than my brother, with only one attack to use, not really a fun way to play.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Also, herping about HP bloat with lv40 equipment. Guess that 'dexers cannot into common sense after all.

Not saying that D3 is all that improved with the new patch. Maps are still repetitive, grind-through-this-so-next-boss-pops-up crap, with higher difficulties being nothing more than lastdifficulty*1.2 higher numbers. But Jesus bro, git gud.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Git gud on a game where the difficulty is simply MOAR HP AND MOAR DAMAGE.... you also feel like a real man playing Skyrim on Master?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Well excuse me. Who am I to suggest you get better items and / or skills when you're whining about being too slow about killing monsters on a fucking Diablo 3 thread of all places?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm "whinning" about a shitty design that says MOAR HP = MOAR CHALLENGE, while you come in trying to be edgy and say that is my fault for having shitty gear and being a bad player... I bow before your awesome "common sense".

SerratedBiz

Arcane
But you do have shitty gear and are using a shitty skill, why do you have to be such a girl about me pointing it out.

Avellion

Erudite
I'm co-oping with a barbarian, so he goes melee and I focus on being a AoE glass cannon.

Regarding your posts further down. Well you dont have to use it, but it certainly helps lower that HP bloat you may otherwise recieve. Honestly, use whatever build is the most fun to play as not the one that does the most damage, besides, OP builds tend to be rather boring anyway.

Is at 42k. My weapon is awesome, but the rest of my equipment is still stuff I got around lv 40. My brother is around 35k, so Torment 1 is good enough for the time being.
Your weapon is slightly stronger than mine DPS wise and has a higher int modifier. So yes, once you replace that crap you should be able to bump it up to go above 60k.

Norfleet

I feel like I've stumbled into some kind of bizarro-land where the Diablo franchise was somehow about rich and "skilled" gameplay instead spamming overpowered fireballs and chain lightning by rightclicking in the general direction of where you think an enemy might be. We ARE talking about Diablo, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom