Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo clones that don't suxxorz

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I've been playing Grim Dawn and I'm currently fifty-fifty as to whether I want to keep playing, on one hand it's one of the better diablo-style games I've played so far and shows many aspects where it's a proper evolution of Diablo 2, on the other it also falters in some aspects where D2 didn't (I'd say core aspects, but with a game as simple as that, every aspect is core). Still, though, there was never a point at which I asked myself ''why am I not playing Diablo instead?''. Are there any other games like that, that build on the Diablo formula substantially and not in boring ways like adding romance or base building?

Note: non-isometric Diablo clones count too.

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Path of Exile 2?
Online only = game doesn't exist.
i have bad news for you.. in 2024 clownworldia even solo games requires login.
you could try last epoch
I have bad news for you. I don't play solo games that require login, ever. And neither should you. I will refuse to buy games from steam for that reason (GOG lets you circumvent it). I don't care that that's what le people are doing now. If everyone was making their kids go tranny, would you do it too?

Path of Exile 2?
You are online right now. And you still will be online when the games goes online. No reason to dismiss this game because of that. Unless you will be off the grid because of reasons in the near future.
This isn't about having vs not having internet, it's about wanting to be left alone when playing. I shouldn't have to go through red tape to use a commodity I paid money for. Remember, game devs, you are competing with piracy.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Path of Exile 2?
you could try last epoch
I have bad news for you. I don't play solo games that require login, ever. And neither should you. I will refuse to buy games from steam for that reason (GOG lets you circumvent it). I don't care that that's what le people are doing now. If everyone was making their kids go tranny, would you do it too?

Path of Exile 2?
You are online right now. And you still will be online when the games goes online. No reason to dismiss this game because of that. Unless you will be off the grid because of reasons in the near future.
This isn't about having vs not having internet, it's about wanting to be left alone when playing. I shouldn't have to go through red tape to use a commodity I paid money for. Remember, game devs, you are competing with piracy.
Path of Exile 2 will be free to play.

Alphard

Magister
The eye of the storm at the end of the world
Path of Exile 2?
you could try last epoch

Path of Exile 2?
i didnt said that it is a good thing, Just pointing out that completely avoiding them it will remain very few choices of modern games. i actually agree with you even if when i played i sort of accepted this aspect of decline

Baron Tahn

Scholar
You basically have it right OP. Grim Dawn about as good as it gets and diablo is still superior. I'll recommend Inquisitor though it wasn't bad, Is apparently going offline/got an off-line patch and recently got a new class I think.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
You basically have it right OP. Grim Dawn about as good as it gets and diablo is still superior. I'll recommend Inquisitor though it wasn't bad, Is apparently going offline/got an off-line patch and recently got a new class I think.
I'm fine with Diablo being superior, just as long as Grim Dawn can offer you anything that Diablo can't.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
A diablo clone by Westwood, you say?
It's an ARPG, but it's not that similar to Diablo beyond that. It did a few things Diablo II did before Diablo II:LoD came out. The Conjurer class in Nox has a lot of trap features not entire unlike the idea behind the Assassin in D2:LoD. The game gets really awesome in mutliplayer, since it has the same feeling as you would have gotten when you first played Gauntlet in the arcade if you're old enough to remember that. It's crazy good. Also, there's a source port of Nox:

https://github.com/noxworld-dev/opennox

as long as Grim Dawn can offer you anything that Diablo can't.
The character system in Grim Dawn is pretty interesting, since you can pick a second class at level 10. Basically, you get access to more skill trees.

I'd also like to say that Sacred and Sacred 2 were pretty fantasy. The FATE games are pretty awesome, and single player only. Torchlight and Torchlight II are also awesome.

Conan

Arcane
Technically, the unpolished gem called Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is a diablo clone and has one of the best cityscapes of all RPGs.

OIP.kD84gbycJp0mWKiR1e-sGQHaKk

Sweeper

Arcane
Path of Exile, despite all the unnecessary bloat it accumulated over the years, is the only game that actually managed to be better than D2. I understand that not everyone would agree with me on that point, but even if you disagree you have to admit it comes damn close. Unfortunately I've burned the fuck out several times playing several leagues and I'll never play it again.
On the more casual and offline side of things, Grim Dawn is the safest bet. A smidge too slow for my tastes, but it's really good.
I haven't played Last Epoch, but I used to hear good things about it, they apparently managed to fuck it up somehow in recent years.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Nothing beats Diablo 1/2. No clone has ever surpassed that slot machine joy of finding that super rare unique loot like Diablo does and the power progression that brings.

And it's not just the gameplay, but the graphics and especially the overlooked sound effects. It oozes quality like no clone has ever managed to.

It's an unfortunate genre that peaked with its first two games over two decades ago and was never matched since.

Eisen

Learned
I think all Diablo clones sucks, except Diablo 1, but that isn't a clone

ferratilis

Magister
Titan Quest and Grim Dawn were the only games in the subgenre, other than D1/D2, I genuinely enjoyed. TQ might have fewer QoL features compared to GD, but the atmosphere and gameplay still hold up imo.

Then there are some lesser titles that still provide that itch or have an interesting twist on the formula, but don't come near D1/D2: Torchlight 2, Victor Vran, the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Darksiders Genesis. Might be worth a few bucks if you get them on sale.

But Diablo 1 is still the greatest. It's not that common that the first game in a genre also happens to be the greatest. D1 and Super Metroid come to mind.

As for non-isometric titles, Nioh comes to mind because the itemization in that game makes me think of Diablo. It also has one of the best combat systems in gaming, so might be worth a try.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
But Diablo 1 is still the greatest. It's not that common that the first game in a genre also happens to be the greatest. D1 and Super Metroid come to mind.
It is. C&C 1 is not better than Generals, Double Dragon is not better than Streets of Rage, wolfenstein 3d is not better than Blood. I still haven't properly played D1 so I'll see if what you're saying is true, I wouldn't be surprised no matter what result I find.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Chronicon is worth checking out methinks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom