Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo clones that don't suxxorz

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
where do the elder scrolls elements come into play if it's isometric?
It's one of the few RPGs where the world is populated with books like the Elder Scrolls games have. They're only a few pages each, but they're randomly in containers all over the world.

Is Nox really a Diablo clone? it does not have either random areas or random loot. Random areas and loot should be at least the minimum to be considered a Diablo clone imo.

Might and Magic 6/7/8 are more Diablo clones than Nox imo.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Is Nox really a Diablo clone? it does not have either random areas or random loot. Random areas and loot should be at least the minimum to be considered a Diablo clone imo.

Might and Magic 6/7/8 are more Diablo clones than Nox imo.
I kind of wish this were the case. Diablo started off as being very close to rogue with graphics. There's a lot of changes made which worked pretty well, but there's quite a few Diablo-likes that went with a hand crafted world as opposed to a randomly generated one. For every Torchlight and FATE that randomly generate the dungeons, you have a bunch of Grim Dawn, Sacred, Nox, and so on. I really wish more of them had adopted random generation for dungeons, if not the entire world.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeah it's a bit weird too because usually I hate proc gen these days. Diablo somehow nailed it though, near perfect implementation. I loved how you didn't always get Leoric, sometimes you didn't get Gharbad - there was randomness even to some quests - and yet it somehow fit and kept it fresh.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Yeah it's a bit weird too because usually I hate proc gen these days. Diablo somehow nailed it though, near perfect implementation. I loved how you didn't always get Leoric, sometimes you didn't get Gharbad - there was randomness even to some quests - and yet it somehow fit and kept it fresh.
Because it's procgen with a clear vision. It's a game about venturing into danger all alone, so the randomness isn't out of place, and the pool of enemies/items you were dealing with was considered enough that it still ended up feeling like something with a point, not just you mindlessly diving into the devs' ballpit.

Xorazm

Cipher
I'll recommend Inquisitor though it wasn't bad, Is apparently going offline/got an off-line patch and recently got a new class I think.
I understand that you are referring to W40k Inquisitor: Martyr, not the older Inquisitor isometric RPG? Just pointing out the possible confusion.
Yes, the 40k one, and I have to say I liked that one quite a lot too. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though since I'm not really the core audience for Diablo-style games, I'm no theorycrafter or endgame-grinder, I just liked that I picked up the whole game and every DLC for pennies and got a solid campaign out of it. Just refreshing to get ARPG out of the fantasy niche so many seem to be stuck on, so that alone was a plus. Flame throwers, rail guns and waves of future bugs was enough to make me happy.

People are going to roast me, but I also picked up Wolcen for a few bucks a few months back and, again, fine time - solid campaign, nice art design, crunchy combat. Not asking for a lot here (for some baseline, I also beat the Van Helsing games but didn't think much of them, 5/10 on a good day, Victor Vran I just gave up and dropped, so I guess maybe ...4?). Didn't love Wolcen, barely touched what they're passing for an endgame, but came in at a reasonable 6.5/10. That one is sure to dip again in price once the servers go offline if anybody wants something a bit more recent.

Also - hear me out - the Earth Defense Force series is really just a Diablo style ARPG, just in 3D with an extremely campy Japanese vibe. Lobbies are still active for 4.1.

Yes, I poke around bargain bins a lot. Sometimes you find something that impresses you. Sometimes you see something like Agent in Depth in your library and have no idea how it got there (Turkish relief bundle maybe?)

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeah look Inquisitor Martyr doesn't hold up when compared to Diablo really, bit it's alright. Good bit of hack (shoot?) n' slashin. Interesting classes, loot aplenty, interesting skill trees and so on. Plenty of content, pretty unfocused but got some good bits. It ain't the worst of options when looking for a modern Diabbers clone.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Project Diablo 2

better than original diablo 2 / lod. good class + build balance, harder, more interesting itemization, shitload of QoL stuff, new bosses, map system
been playing since season 2 (its in season 9 now started couple months ago, next season should be every 4~ months)

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Project Diablo 2

better than original diablo 2 / lod. good class + build balance, harder, more interesting itemization, shitload of QoL stuff, new bosses, map system
been playing since season 2 (its in season 9 now started couple months ago, next season should be every 4~ months)
>season
Ugh...
you can also play non ladder if u wanna continue playing your online characters or single player
unlike normal d2r reset is not just same shit as last season there are new things + changes to keep things fresh

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I've been playing Grim Dawn and I'm currently fifty-fifty as to whether I want to keep playing, on one hand it's one of the better diablo-style games I've played so far and shows many aspects where it's a proper evolution of Diablo 2, on the other it also falters in some aspects where D2 didn't (I'd say core aspects, but with a game as simple as that, every aspect is core). Still, though, there was never a point at which I asked myself ''why am I not playing Diablo instead?''. Are there any other games like that, that build on the Diablo formula substantially and not in boring ways like adding romance or base building?

In GD, it is much, much faster to gear your character, that's why the devs made it in the first place, it was supposed to be a Diablo clone where you could "finish" your characters. In D2, you had to buy/trade for gear or else you'd be looking at years and years of farming for those rare drops.

In GD, you can do Shattered Realm, and if you climb up high enough, 75-76 is ideal, you get SHOWERED with enough loot to equip several characters. That's something I don't like about GD because it's TOO easy to gear up and finish your build.

The community of GD is made up of altoholics, people constantly making new builds and seeing how they can make them viable, that's where the fun in GD comes from.

D2 on the other hand is for hardcore farmers who do the same runs thousands of times in hopes of a drop.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I've been playing Grim Dawn and I'm currently fifty-fifty as to whether I want to keep playing, on one hand it's one of the better diablo-style games I've played so far and shows many aspects where it's a proper evolution of Diablo 2, on the other it also falters in some aspects where D2 didn't (I'd say core aspects, but with a game as simple as that, every aspect is core). Still, though, there was never a point at which I asked myself ''why am I not playing Diablo instead?''. Are there any other games like that, that build on the Diablo formula substantially and not in boring ways like adding romance or base building?

In GD, it is much, much faster to gear your character, that's why the devs made it in the first place, it was supposed to be a Diablo clone where you could "finish" your characters. In D2, you had to buy/trade for gear or else you'd be looking at years and years of farming for those rare drops.

In GD, you can do Shattered Realm, and if you climb up high enough, 75-76 is ideal, you get SHOWERED with enough loot to equip several characters. That's something I don't like about GD because it's TOO easy to gear up and finish your build.

The community of GD is made up of altoholics, people constantly making new builds and seeing how they can make them viable, that's where the fun in GD comes from.

D2 on the other hand is for hardcore farmers who do the same runs thousands of times in hopes of a drop.
the game can be rather brain-dead, yes. I like having a d2 clone that just cuts to the point and provides a quicker burst of fun, but I do take long breaks between sessions.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
the game can be rather brain-dead, yes. I like having a d2 clone that just cuts to the point and provides a quicker burst of fun, but I do take long breaks between sessions.
GD is good for that, if you have a maxed char already, you can level up a new toon relatively quickly with xp potions, faction writs, that stone that gives you all portals, lokarrs set...

ferratilis

Magister
It's not that common that the first game in a genre also happens to be the greatest. D1 and Super Metroid come to mind.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigger, it were Super Metroid and SotN that made metroidvanias what they are, not the NES originals. Hence, the first game in a genre is an apt description.

If you really want to split hairs, then D1 isn't the first action RPG either.

Spike

Educated
It's not that common that the first game in a genre also happens to be the greatest. D1 and Super Metroid come to mind.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigger, it were Super Metroid and SotN that made metroidvanias what they are, not the NES originals. Hence, the first game in a genre is an apt description.

If you really want to split hairs, then D1 isn't the first action RPG either.
It also wasn't the first souls game. DeS is the DeBest.

VonMiskov

Educated
Anyone tried Last Epoch?
Last Epoch is like Wolcen for me. It's end-game centric but the road there gets boring fast. It's flashy combat but it's easy, you can beat the campaign while using 1-2 skills. I regulary fall asleep while playing it. I would put it in mid tier hack and slash, not bad - not great either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom