Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo III Muslim Controversy

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

<p>The Muslim Gamer <a href="http://muslimgamer.com/diablo-iii-muslim-quran-christian-gamer-walk-game-part-1/" target="_blank">expressed their concerns</a> regarding some textures in Diablo 3 that resemble, or might perhaps resemble, the Quran. In the religion of peace (Islam) this is probably a crime punishable by death (much like getting raped will often lead to the poor girl in question getting stoned for "honour" reasons) so we can only imagine what dire consequences this whole situation has. Or might have.</p>
<p><em> </em></p>
<blockquote><em>
<p><span><span><span><span>Dear Blizzard,</span></span></span></span></p>
<p><span><span><span><span><br /></span></span></span></span></p>
<p>As an old fan and player of Blizzard Entertainment, and always supporting your games, I&rsquo;ve been wondering about an issue been noticed by me and my friends from streaming videos of Diablo III beta (didn&rsquo;t play it though), from a screenshot attached as follows, there is a strange resemblance between the book highlighted in the pic (Diablo III Gameplay) and the Holy book of Quran (Muslims Holy book).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The book is one of other books found on the shelves which is interacted with by dropping on the floor and it is also found buried under piles of dirt, supposedly the game (or any blizzard game before didn&rsquo;t implement something like that) and the game shouldn&rsquo;t intervene with any impact with religion whatever it is, or giving an offence to any of the known religions by any means.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Anyway, i suggest removing that texture of that book (of resemblance) before launching the original version of Diablo III and during that beta testing phase.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Hoping to have a reply from the developers concerning this issue, to avoid any negative influence on Muslim fans and players (or any other religions fans to notice this) to deal with Blizzard games.</p>
</em></blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It's about time Blizzard takes into account the delicate texture-sensibilities of muslim gamers worldwide.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105155-diablo-iii-muslim-controversy.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

sser

Arcane
Developer
Their determination to be offended is impressive.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First The Witcher 2, now Diablo 3.. MAybe they would like to retroactively remove the flying carpets from Magic Carpet as well.. Not to mention countless other games ..

Hope Blizzard's evil lawyer division will use it's powers against this, instead of harassing it's fanbase.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Corporate world plays it too safe. Changing their motto to DEATH TO ISLAM is the obvious response here, sure to garner millions of new fans.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Muslims can be such Jews sometimes.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
When is it NOT a controversy with these assholes? I'm all for tolerance and shit but seriously fuck 'em.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://muslimgamer.com/diablo-iii-muslim-quran-christian-gamer-walk-game-part-1/

I didn't even know Andhaira had a website.

What really amazes me is how they manage to find the time to pray 5 times a day AND nitpick every pixel in every game to find something that might look like something affiliated with their religion AND have time some left over to throw acid in their girlfriends' faces. Don't these people have jobs?

spectre

Arcane
What sser said.
Also:

site said:
“I’m very happy to know that Muslims are offended It will make the game better”

Seriously, fuck me, moslems cannot handle gravity it seems. Books falling down and landing on the ground... the horror.

corvus

Arcane
It is so difficult to get caught up in these kinds of things worried for your own safety. But I have to carry the Cross too; I have to suffer just as Jesus did for me.

Jesus Christ. :lol:

People who take anything this seriously need to be prepared to defend their beliefs rather than forcing others to change.

I think Richard makes a great point here. While this particular incident is about Muslims and the Quran, the next person to get offended could be a Jew and their Torah, a Christian and their Bible or an Atheists and their Spaghetti monster.

Uhh.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Andyman Messiah said:
When is it NOT a controversy with these assholes? I'm all for tolerance and shit but seriously fuck 'em.

They seriously think, that their faith is - the one and only - intellectual choice by human reason. Whatever lies beyond that beliefs, its controversy itself. So, fuck indeed, they just never had any blood religion wars, counter reformation and reformation, as "we-West world" in the Europe had. They just don't get "toleration concept" at all.

Black

Arcane
Great, you've banned our token Muslim and who knows what they'll do now.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Great, now GD has overtaken the news section.
It wasn't "They" it was "some". Does anybody judge the whole of the codex by Liberal's or Prosper's posts?
Is every christian judged by these nut-jobs?
And while we're at it, every time Kotick thinks up another way to relieve morons of their money it's because he's jewish. When Riccitiello does the same it's only because he's a dick.

I find people who take their religion too serious as ridiculous as the next guy, but I don't judge everybody of that religion by the example of some morons.
Ah fuck it. I decided a long time ago not to waste effort in GD. I won't waste anymore here.

corvus

Arcane
Ed123 said:
The Enlightenment happened at half past 12 a.m. in Burger King, Park Royal. I had ordered my food, and a French guy got talking to me and asked, “Are you Muslim?” He said, “Look at this,” and he showed me the cone. I saw it and I thought, “Wow,” like anyone would. He said, “Turn it around.”

I was thinking of my stomach. I was hungry. I would have loved to eat an ice cream. When I saw it, my mouth fell open. I dropped the ice cream. I canceled my order. That was the defining moment of my life.

The Burger King logo is there in Arabic. “Allah” is spelled exactly how it is there, and the Burger King logo is where the ominah should be. Why, there is no way it could be a coincidence. How can you say it is a spinning swirl? How does it spin on something that is static? You cannot spin it around unless you have a mechanical device. You spin it one direction, to the right, and it is offending a billion people.

I'm not talking about Muslims in the Park Royal vicinity, or in the U.K. I'm talking about globally. Everyone who sees this is going to be offended. If you put a different symbol on there, you're offending Jews, Christians, Sikhs, or Hindus. I am going to try my best in life, so that these people do not operate in a single Muslim country again, so that we get an apology to every single Muslim on this planet in their language, in their country, on a national TV station: “Sorry. We, as an American company, are sorry. We didn't mean to offend you.”

What angers me most is that most people, once they have finished with it, they look at it and say, “Nice cone. Nice design. Nice cone design.” They chuck it away. That is disrespectful. Don't throw it away. Keep it as evidence. A reminder of what these people are doing every single day of our lives.

We showed this to Muslim customers in Burger King and they were disgusted. We went to the manager. “Is this true?” we asked. He said, “Yes, my brother. It is true.” I spoke to two other Pakistani Muslim guys there and they said, “We are sickened.” They were cussing Burger King.

I feel humiliated. I want to humiliate the person who did this to an extent that he never works again. I'm going to make him see that it was the biggest mistake in his life. I want to meet the guy. I want to ask the guy, “What does this mean to you?” then never see his face again.

In a way, I'm glad he did this to me. It has opened my eyes. The fear of God, the love of God, the love of not letting anyone disrespect God. Even though it means nothing to some people and may mean nothing to some Muslims in this country, this is my jihad. I'm not going to rest until I find the person who is responsible. I'm going to bring this country down.

coDsK.jpg

Shannow said:
I find people who take their religion too serious as ridiculous as the next guy, but I don't judge everybody of that religion by the example of some morons.

Seriously. And then the Codex gets :x when other sites generalize all of us cause of a few malcontents and trolls.

Wait, but I'm generalizing this forum right now when I say that aaaaaah

muslimgamer

Novice
Hi! The article is from my site so i decided to don my flame suit on and im now ready to take your abuse and answer questions :)

The only request i have is that you read the article before asking something.

Thanks.

Norfleet

This is absurd. The Koran is a BOOK. There is no prescribed appearance for how a book should appear. That book looks like, well, every other vaguely high-production-value hardcover book out there.

muslimgamer

Novice
Regdar said:
Someone should post a comment on his blog informing him "muslim gamer" is a contradiction.

THIS is a real muslim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgourdYfW98

There are differing opinions in regards to games as there are to many other subjects in Islam. Some scholars say it is ok on the condition that it does not take up all your time and take you away from your obligations, others such as that Muslim follow the differing opinion that they should not be played at all.

Tycn

Savant
Norfleet said:
This is absurd. The Koran is a BOOK. There is no prescribed appearance for how a book should appear. That book looks like, well, every other vaguely high-production-value hardcover book out there.
I am interested in your response to this, muslimgamer.

Regdar

Arcane
muslimgamer said:
There are differing opinions in regards to games as there are to many other subjects in Islam. Some scholars say it is ok on the condition that it does not take up all your time and take you away from your obligations, others such as that Muslim follow the differing opinion that they should not be played at all.

So you can play video games, but playing chess is still a sin?

idontunderstand.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom