Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo III: Runestones.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But David Gaider told me gamers are borderline retarded and would get confused by so many options.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Diablo 3 looks like it'll be my guilty pleasure I don't tell you guys about so as not to harm whatever shrivel of old-school RPG cred I may have had at some point or not.

flushfire

Augur
its 2011 and diablo 3's camera is still isometric? wtf blizzard have you not learned from bethesda & esp. bioware yet?

Jive One

Educated
Can these be added and removed at will? If so these provide a great way to deal with enemy immunities and resistances.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jive One said:
Can these be added and removed at will? If so these provide a great way to deal with enemy immunities and resistances.

Could be you can only do it in the HUB area like Sockets for weapons, but still that looks like a nice feature.

J1M

Arcane
CrimsonAngel said:
Jive One said:

Could be you can only do it in the HUB area like Sockets for weapons, but still that looks like a nice feature.
From what I've heard you can change them whenever you want. They are a drop item though, not something you buy from a vendor.

The whole thing sounds a lot like the Guild Wars system (almost exactly like the planned changes for GW2, in fact). We will see if its enough to counter the derp of removing stats completely.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah because stats in d2 were so fucking important. Dex and Str enough for gear and rest in Vitality. wow fucking amazing customization. they might as well get rid of the fucking shit. D3 will have more customization than any of the previous games.

d3 will fuck d2, dungeon siege 3, any bioware game or any other ARPG up the ass so fucking hard they will have permanent damage to their asshole so every time they shit it stings like fuck and shit get mixed into their blood and it's fucking gross.

hail satan.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Zed said:
d3 will fuck d2, dungeon siege 3, any bioware game or any other ARPG up the ass so fucking hard they will have permanent damage to their asshole so every time they shit it stings like fuck and shit get mixed into their blood and it's fucking gross.

hail satan.

Oh yeah, just like Titan Quest did :M

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

there's a "small" difference between "Iron Lore Entertainment" and "Blizzard Entertainment".
there's also a "small" difference between basing your game on boring fucking mythology and badass satanic medieval fantasy.

who claimed Titan Quest would be good anyway? I sure as hell didn't.

Zed said:
yeah because stats in d2 were so fucking important. Dex and Str enough for gear and rest in Vitality. wow fucking amazing customization. they might as well get rid of the fucking shit. D3 will have more customization than any of the previous games.

If you aren't a twinking powergaming faggot who ran around with uber gear and a belt of full rejuves at all time there was plenty of importance in stats.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Overweight Manatee said:
Zed said:

If you aren't a twinking powergaming faggot who ran around with uber gear and a belt of full rejuves at all time there was plenty of importance in stats.
no, that's the thing, there wasn't. you could go through the game no problem leaving half your stats unallocated. if you actually knew what the stats did, you wouldn't spend an unnecessary amount. even if you didn't play following a "build" you'd still rather use charms or gear to get that extra strength as a sorc or amazon because you'd know they were shit stat for anything else than gear requirement. there were only 4 stats in the game. you'd have to be a fucking retarded mongoloid not to see that at least 1 stat was completely useless for your class. and after that it didn't leave much else to put the points into.

blizzard is one of the devs still making games which takes a lot to 'master' (not counting WoW), and allows for lots of min-maxing and powergaming. it has been the charm with their games and a reason why their titles have such longevity.
if you don't like that, maybe you should fuck off and play some arcade racers on your xbox and leave the games with some depth to the big boys.

Zed said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Zed said:

no, that's the thing, there wasn't. you could go through the game no problem leaving half your stats unallocated. if you actually knew what the stats did, you wouldn't spend an unnecessary amount. even if you didn't play following a "build" you'd still rather use charms or gear to get that extra strength as a sorc or amazon because you'd know they were shit stat for anything else than gear requirement. there were only 4 stats in the game. you'd have to be a fucking retarded mongoloid not to see that at least 1 stat was completely useless for your class. and after that it didn't leave much else to put the points into.

blizzard is one of the devs still making games which takes a lot to 'master' (not counting WoW), and allows for lots of min-maxing and powergaming. it has been the charm with their games and a reason why their titles have such longevity.
if you don't like that, maybe you should fuck off and play some arcade racers on your xbox and leave the games with some depth to the big boys.

Go start a new character up. Put 0 into energy. Don't twink. See how far you get.

I'll wait.

There is no such thing as "master"ing D2. It required absolutely no skill or thought to play, all you needed to do was get enough powerful equipment and you were invincible. Talking about game balance where you assume players are already wearing the most powerful equipment is a futile strawman.

J1M

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Go start a new character up. Put 0 into energy. Don't twink. See how far you get.

I'll wait.
I did this last week with a necromancer in singleplayer. Please explain what is difficult about it. :smug:

1zptcfl.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Overweight Manatee said:

why would I waste my time with that? it would be doable but it would be a pain to go town for pots and scrolls all the time.

what I don't think you understand is that I'm talking meta-game. in that sense, stats are something that are pretty much set in stone depending on a) gear, b) class. might as well have them being auto-allocated like in D3 and have the character customization be like they do with these skill runes for example.

Overweight Manatee said:
There is no such thing as "master"ing D2. It required absolutely no skill or thought to play, all you needed to do was get enough powerful equipment and you were invincible. Talking about game balance where you assume players are already wearing the most powerful equipment is a futile strawman.
if you can't beat the game without putting point into energy, maybe you got something to learn. hence there's something to master.
"mastering" is not only about mechanics (hotkeys, reflexes etc) though, but also about knowledge. what runewords are best for this build, what type of synergies work, which bosses is this character suited to kill/farm, etc?
games like Heroes of Newerth and other DotA games, as well as RTS games such as Starcraft are widely considered the most "master-able" games on the market. they are also pretty much all about information. know what X does against Y. what suits X. how can you use Z in this situation. etc. Mastering a game isn't necessarily just about being able to push buttons fast in a fighting game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hmm, minimal interest. It's a nice little distraction at times, but not worth the $60 pricetag.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gotta say, this is actually looking promising. Real depth in a hack-n-slash? The amount of work put into modifying skills via runes must be pretty colossal, glad to see Blizzard aren't settling for the standard "does elemental damage" routine but are seriously thinking about how players can tweak their playstyle.

Zed said:
Overweight Manatee said:

why would I waste my time with that? it would be doable but it would be a pain to go town for pots and scrolls all the time.

Which is why you wouldn't do it. My point. Unless you want to cheat you want energy.

what I don't think you understand is that I'm talking meta-game. in that sense, stats are something that are pretty much set in stone depending on a) gear, b) class. might as well have them being auto-allocated like in D3 and have the character customization be like they do with these skill runes for example.

There is no metagame in D2. :retarded:. No, PvP doesn't count because its shit.

Zed said:
Overweight Manatee said:
if you can't beat the game without putting point into energy, maybe you got something to learn. hence there's something to master.
"mastering" is not only about mechanics (hotkeys, reflexes etc) though, but also about knowledge. what runewords are best for this build, what type of synergies work, which bosses is this character suited to kill/farm, etc?
games like Heroes of Newerth and other DotA games, as well as RTS games such as Starcraft are widely considered the most "master-able" games on the market. they are also pretty much all about information. know what X does against Y. what suits X. how can you use Z in this situation. etc. Mastering a game isn't necessarily just about being able to push buttons fast in a fighting game.

lolno. D2 is a joke. DotA is only a slightly lesser joke. Starcraft does require skill though. I don't know why you bother to mention SC, its the polar opposite of D2.

Figuring out the best equipment to use in D2 is as simple as finding the spreadsheet online with the best armor/weapons/runewords on it. At most, you have to compare similar items and compare the tradeoffs. Just like you have to do in every other damn RPG in existence. Hard shit, I know.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Overweight Manatee said:
Lolwut? 99% of the D2 build guides I've read for any class specifically recommended that you NEVER put points into energy. I recently started playing a sorceress solo and didn't have much trouble managing my mana without allocating a single point to energy. Potions drop so frequently as to rarely have to run to town to buy some and you can easily start finding mana leech and +mana after kill items in normal difficulty act 1.

Dire Roach said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Lolwut? 99% of the D2 build guides I've read for any class specifically recommended that you NEVER put points into energy. I recently started playing a sorceress solo and didn't have much trouble managing my mana without allocating a single point to energy. Potions drop so frequently as to rarely have to run to town to buy some and you can easily start finding mana leech and +mana after kill items in normal difficulty act 1.

Characters with mana leech are fine, but for casters I've never been able to avoid running back to town every 10 mins for potions. If you are, you have a hell of a lot better luck than I.

All "Build Guides" assume you twink the hell out of your characters so that they can have hundreds of mana and +atts without putting a single point into energy, which is basically cheating and defeating the point of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom