Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Bocian

Arcane
No, please no, don't touch it, don't ruin a fucking good game, please, PLEEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Probably the most overrated boring game ever released.

People talk about Oblivion and to a lesser degree NWN/Kotor for causing the quality of the industry to decline but Diablo with it's mindless(and it really is the most mindless game of all time) gameplay caused much more damage.

Not even going into all the terrible Diablo clones we've been graced with over the years( unfortunately I've played and even finished a few).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People who bought it on release remember a time when good gear was rare

Good gear was rare is an understatement, good luck fully decking out a character in the best gear on your own. Natural drop rates were so low you p much had to cheat, beg, or become a Jeff Bezos tier merchant to get it.

One thing that puts diablo 3 well ahead of D2 is that you don't have to dedicate your life to the game to get top tier gear while still leaving plenty of room for autists to grind for hundreds of hours to get the top quality of any particular item.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The only thing they can announce in conjunction with Diablo is that they're shutting down D3 servers to improve HotS matchmaking or some shit. The game has been all but abandoned by Blizz.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Kill millions of identical enemies to pick up garbage

sell garbage because only because of ocd because you never actually need money unless you want to gamble

repeat as long as your sanity lasts

Pretty much the experience of playing Diablo, how anyone with an iq higher then 85 enjoys such drivel is completely beyond me, so I'll just go on believing anyone who's a had of these types of games are moderately retarded.

The most fun thing to do on diablo 2 was to hop in peoples cow levels on battle net and kill the king, which I found amusing when I was in my teens.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
People talk about Oblivion and to a lesser degree NWN/Kotor for causing the quality of the industry to decline but Diablo with it's mindless(and it really is the most mindless game of all time) gameplay caused much more damage.

4746.jpg

Diablo is a different genre than those games.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Yeah a genre created by Diablo designed to cater to complete morons.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I bet the release thread of the remastered Diablo 2 will reach 100 pages within a week, despite all the negativity in this thread.

Max Damage

Savant
We'll need 7 playthrougs and 5 reviews to verify whether game works fine on resolutions higher than 800x600.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
You're talking about the golden age of the medium where practically everything was original. Genres were barely established at all, outside pulling off simple programming/rendering feats before anyone else.

The 90s was just a funny period for game designers too. Depictions of sex/violence in games was becoming very taboo as tech got better - thus, anything with comedic levels of it like Doom or Diablo, was equal parts awesome/hilarious for everyone involved. Moreso when all angles of the media, for years, tried to equate them with "Satanic influence" or "war propaganda" etc.

Classics were born from times like this.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
You're talking about the golden age of the medium where practically everything was original. Genres were barely established at all, outside pulling off simple programming/rendering feats before anyone else.

The 90s was just a funny period for game designers too. Depictions of sex/violence in games was becoming very taboo as tech got better - thus, anything with comedic levels of it like Doom or Diablo, was equal parts awesome/hilarious for everyone involved. Moreso when all angles of the media, for years, tried to equate them with "Satanic influence" or "war propaganda" etc.

Classics were born from times like this.

Diablo 1 and 2 aren't classics. 1 is average at best and 2 is shit. They're literally designed to be unfun and addictive to appeal to the socially non functioning OCD crowd.

So shut the fuck up and stop trying to be a pseudo intellectual while quoting me, I just think you're an even bigger retard.

Tigranes

Arcane

Good gear was rare is an understatement, good luck fully decking out a character in the best gear on your own. Natural drop rates were so low you p much had to cheat, beg, or become a Jeff Bezos tier merchant to get it.

One thing that puts diablo 3 well ahead of D2 is that you don't have to dedicate your life to the game to get top tier gear while still leaving plenty of room for autists to grind for hundreds of hours to get the top quality of any particular item.

This is so fucking wrong there is a crater of wrong they have been digging for centuries and they still can't find your arse buried beneath

I remember playing D2 in the early days, and finding the first Stone of Jordan - it was memorable, it felt fantastic, and it happened as a process of, as Thal described, organic play where you were always hunting for great gear but you were also actually playing the game and enjoying your character.

Soon, SOJs were a basic unit for bartering great gear. That was still fine; finding SOJs and other uniques made you think about how you might use them for your future characters or how you might trade it to fill those very real gaps in your current gear. Getting my first Windforce took a series of exchanges and that was a cool part of the game as well, trading with real people your salvages. (Then like a moron I traded it for something shit, all part of the process.)

Fast forward a while, and SOJs were devalued like a Zimbabwean currency, and over time you start to get more hacking, more RMTs, more gold farmers, more macro bots, more overinflated rare drops, etc, etc.

I tried Diablo 3 a bit at release, and then very recently. D3 never had the truly satisfying moments of finding great gear, but over the years it's like they turned up the fucking loot algo up to the moon. Now, don't worry about MFs, or bosses, or anything - just run around pew pewing at random shit, and you'll get rares every 30 seconds and uniques every 5 minutes without hyperbole. Actually reading the gear description of all the shit you find is inefficient - you get better deal for your time if you instantly sell everything except ones with bigger numbers. Sold a good item by mistake? You'll get 20 more drops while you shit!

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Diablo 1 and 2 aren't classics. 1 is average at best and 2 is shit. They're literally designed to be unfun and addictive to appeal to the socially non functioning OCD crowd.
That's online gaming in a nutshell. And I was only referring to the first, which I played once as a kid. Countless clones that emulate it religiously, obviously don't encourage many people to remember the period when it everything was new.

So shut the fuck up and stop trying to be a pseudo intellectual while quoting me, I just think you're an even bigger retard.
:lol:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I bet the release thread of the remastered Diablo 2 will reach 100 pages within a week, despite all the negativity in this thread.

Sure, because people would like to see a proper Diablo game again. Can't fault 'em for trying it out despite the lack of confidence in Blizzard.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is so fucking wrong there is a crater of wrong they have been digging for centuries and they still can't find your arse buried beneath

I remember playing D2 in the early days, and finding the first Stone of Jordan - it was memorable, it felt fantastic, and it happened as a process of, as Thal described, organic play where you were always hunting for great gear but you were also actually playing the game and enjoying your character.

Soon, SOJs were a basic unit for bartering great gear. That was still fine; finding SOJs and other uniques made you think about how you might use them for your future characters or how you might trade it to fill those very real gaps in your current gear. Getting my first Windforce took a series of exchanges and that was a cool part of the game as well, trading with real people your salvages. (Then like a moron I traded it for something shit, all part of the process.)

Fast forward a while, and SOJs were devalued like a Zimbabwean currency, and over time you start to get more hacking, more RMTs, more gold farmers, more macro bots, more overinflated rare drops, etc, etc.

I tried Diablo 3 a bit at release, and then very recently. D3 never had the truly satisfying moments of finding great gear, but over the years it's like they turned up the fucking loot algo up to the moon. Now, don't worry about MFs, or bosses, or anything - just run around pew pewing at random shit, and you'll get rares every 30 seconds and uniques every 5 minutes without hyperbole. Actually reading the gear description of all the shit you find is inefficient - you get better deal for your time if you instantly sell everything except ones with bigger numbers. Sold a good item by mistake? You'll get 20 more drops while you shit!

There is truth to this here. SOJs on closed Battle.net were pretty much "gold" when it came to the community based economy. You had your lesser currency like gems and runes (at least until they went full retard with runewords in one of the patches) and so forth. I think it was something like 40 chipped gems of a specific type were worth an SOJ since you could convert them into perfect gems.

But yeah, the Diablo 2 trading community way back then was lightning in a bottle. You could find what you were looking for but what you really wanted was to find the right person that was selling since a lot of people didn't know the real value of their items. Compare that to something like Path of Exile where it feels like every person is a fucking shekel goblin that won't budge on their offer because the text of the item is orange or it has six links.

When SOJs began to get mass duplicated it fucked up everything, though. That's when they had to add in some goofy shit like the Diablo Clone which could only spawn by selling all those hacked items into vendors to try and purge them from the economy. I also think when they added in those godly runewords it fucked up a lot of the fun of building a character since they were such an insane leap in power.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom