Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Tied to battle.net, no thanks.

Starcraft remastered has a separate 'classic client' where you make account through the game without battlenet, because you are able to play the game with the 'old starcraft and old battlenet', most likely will be the same here.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
What is so good about diablo 2?

Could be interesting to play but a bit cheap/uncreative to remake all of these old games.

Cael

Arcane

Could be interesting to play but a bit cheap/uncreative to remake all of these old games.
Mainly the social. Get a bunch of guys and play the game together. It is pretty mindless click and kill stuff in many ways.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Fun combat, progressing your character, harder difficulties are actualy harder and even a casual player can play the hardest difficulty to improve his character even more and get better gear.

That's why Diablo is so replayable, to the point your character is max level and best gear....... then you start a different class and do the same thing all over again, or try to think of an 'out of the box' build with talent/gear combo that no one thought of before.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If only Diablo 2 was a worthy successor to Diablo...

Diablo 2 however has much more replayability than diablo 1, which is what matters after you complete the game.

Diablo 1 and 2 are both good in their own rights.

Diablo 1 is a more of a one time experience,like a book or a movie, after you complete it, there is not much variation, Diablo 2 is more gamey which you re-play over and over, like chess etc

Neanderthal

Arcane
Still play original occasionally, don't really see need for a remake. It's not graphics but solid, simple, addictive game play loop that makes it and I doubt they'd change that. Might add some extra difficulties, events and drops I suppose but you could do that wi original.

I'd pay for a remake o first though, if not raped senseless.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Because it might turn out that it has some nice improvements. Like Starcraft.

Btw, it's nothing more than a rumor, right?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just hope they offer the original Diablo 2 for free ; like they did with Starcraft. I'm too lazy to dig out my old CDs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Because it might turn out that it has some nice improvements. Like Starcraft.

Btw, it's nothing more than a rumor, right?
Rumor is that it is being announced at this year's Blizzcon, it is not a rumor that Blizzard is remaking more of their old games like they did with Starcraft BW.

ciox

Liturgist
Will probably look like shit and things like Paladin abilities will still bug out like crazy.

Thal

Augur

People who bought it on release remember a time when good gear was rare, magic find wasn't properly understood by most people, and the challenge was balanced around that. People played with their friends, actually playing through the game. Diablo II was my first online experience, and it think was the same for many others. The game was pretty fun this way, and could probably hold up to today's standards pretty well.

However, very quickly gamers got good, and the game turned into a compulsive series MF-runs, followed by creation of perfect builds, never to be used again after completion. You'd spend more time trading than playing, if you can call MF-runs playing. More serious gamers got into hardcore-mode or pvp, but for the masses it became a sort of a Sisyphean timesink. You'd create a sorc, because you needed to teleport to do MF, and after getting your gear, you could then create a character you actually wanted. And then you'd have to level it by doing bossruns with bunch of strangers, where your team sorc teles past all enemies straight to the boss so you could all level faster. Then, once your character is ready, you'd start a new one because there is nothing to do. Rinse, repeat. Doing this over and over again is probably the most pointless thing I've done in my entire life and has made me question whether all gaming is fundamentally self-harm. Cause Diablo II surely was.

The problem is that the game was progressively made to cater to this type of gameplay, as it was extremely addictive, but the there isn't actually any content to support it. This remaster could be good only, if they removed MF and Tele completely and then required you to complete all quests before completing an act. But they won't do it. Because MF is more addictive and that's what the zombies want anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom