Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did the Souls-like replace the Devil-May-Cry-like?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Ninja Gaiden, Otogi, the Prince of Persia games, Force Unleashed...none of these game even kind of play like DMC.
The Force Unleashed is not a "DMC-like".
I'm interested to know; what in your opinion makes a DMC-like?

Ninja Gaiden does not play like DMC. However I would have certainly said they were same genre (speaking as an amateur fan); two games in a genre can differ substantially. The Force Unleashed was intended as a God of War trend follower. God of War was a DMC trend follower. What are the salient features that separate DMC from other games that mimic the general idea? I would have just grouped all games with similar perspectives, combos, health bars, points orbs, etc, into this genre. Would Onimusha-like be more acceptable?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apparently, the recently released Hi-Fi Rush is very good. It's a budget title made by The Evil Within devs, Microsoft just shadow-dropped it yesterday, with zero advertising. Costs $30.

Anyone played it yet? It looks like something that could've been made by Platinum or Clover back in the day.

I played it a bit yesterday and can confirm that it is very good. Smooth gameplay, DMC with beat combat with you controling the beat and whole world is living with that beat. MC is a full time idiot named "Chai" (which means "tea") but he is a loveable sort and grows on you really quick.
Soundrack is nice, there is lots of hidden stuff for upgrading our character, world and characters are fun.
At first I thought my reflexes are gone for this kind of stuff but I even got some "A"s from rythm in combat.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Apparently, the recently released Hi-Fi Rush is very good. It's a budget title made by The Evil Within devs, Microsoft just shadow-dropped it yesterday, with zero advertising. Costs $30.

Anyone played it yet? It looks like something that could've been made by Platinum or Clover back in the day.
It's really fckn good! But we warned, I started on hard and the rhythm mini-games get decently difficult late game. The combo system is also kind of restrictive locking you into preset paths, it's more like Ninja Gaiden and MGRR than DMC though it feels closer to DMC, but mostly it's like rythm fever, but it gets it right. Also music is pretty good, much better selection than usual western games like Sunset Overdrive.

Writing is also decent, it's charming. Expected it to be cringe seeing the trailer, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

???

It does seem to have the same energy Clover games did
Which is good and honestly that's what I thought Tango Gameworks was created for, but alas...

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It's hard to say. DMC was never cloned a million times like Rogue was, making it harder to pin down the specifics. That's probably because making a game like DMC is really hard to get right. The only game to really approach DMC in terms of quality is Ninja Gaiden. All I can say is that The Force Unleashed and Prince of Persia are not "like Devil May Cry". If I were describing Prince of Persia to someone, I would not mention DMC even once. DMC is kind of just an ideal of the action genre, and you say a game is "like DMC or Ninja Gaiden" when you're trying to convey very high quality. If I were trying to sell someone on a game like Fight'N Rage, I might say something like "it's like DMC because you can do cool combos, there's air juggling and parries and a lot of creative stuff you can do and it's really hard", even though Fight'N Rage is a 2D arcade-style beat 'em up. It's like "if you can make a Combo MAD video on a game, then it's like DMC".

The one specific I can pin down definitively is that it has to be focused on melee combat. Prince of Persia, Vanquish, The Force Unleashed, etc, are not focused on melee combat, so they can't apply. If I were to cite an example of a bad game that's a DMC-like, I'd probably say Sonic Unleashed. It definitely tries to be like DMC, it just fails.

On a whim I looked up "Sonic Unleashed Combo MAD" on YouTube and found this, so maybe it really is a DMC-like.

Falksi

Arcane
It's hard to say. DMC was never cloned a million times like Rogue was, making it harder to pin down the specifics. That's probably because making a game like DMC is really hard to get right. The only game to really approach DMC in terms of quality is Ninja Gaiden. All I can say is that The Force Unleashed and Prince of Persia are not "like Devil May Cry". If I were describing Prince of Persia to someone, I would not mention DMC even once. DMC is kind of just an ideal of the action genre, and you say a game is "like DMC or Ninja Gaiden" when you're trying to convey very high quality. If I were trying to sell someone on a game like Fight'N Rage, I might say something like "it's like DMC because you can do cool combos, there's air juggling and parries and a lot of creative stuff you can do and it's really hard", even though Fight'N Rage is a 2D arcade-style beat 'em up. It's like "if you can make a Combo MAD video on a game, then it's like DMC".

The one specific I can pin down definitively is that it has to be focused on melee combat. Prince of Persia, Vanquish, The Force Unleashed, etc, are not focused on melee combat, so they can't apply. If I were to cite an example of a bad game that's a DMC-like, I'd probably say Sonic Unleashed. It definitely tries to be like DMC, it just fails.

On a whim I looked up "Sonic Unleashed Combo MAD" on YouTube and found this, so maybe it really is a DMC-like.

Modern music is SO fucking shit compared to what it used to be...but ...fuckinghell did they nail it when they made Devil Trigger. That songs is just SO fucking lush. Even the Eurobeat remix rocks the fuck out of my spunkers.

Modern music is SO fucking shit compared to what it used to be...but ...fuckinghell did they nail it when they made Devil Trigger. That songs is just SO fucking lush. Even the Eurobeat remix rocks the fuck out of my spunkers.

I still cannot stand it. Music like this just makes me back away in disgust. I replaced combat music for all characters in DMCV with tracks from earlier games so that I wouldn't have to turn off game music entirely. I'd rather have some bland techno tracks than that shitpop. Default V combat track especially makes me wanna puke, everything about that character is garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom