Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples of Steel Question

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
When I try to recruit an army I get the message "not within Farnus" or whatever other city I am in. Does anybody know why that is?
Are you already reigning over the city? I can't say I really remember how it works.

izzywizzy

Literate
Hello, thanks for the replies. Yes I am reigning over the cities where I get that message. I haven't completed all the town leader quests because in the version of the game that I am playing, ATARI ST, the game crashes when you try to enter the Kitari palace. I cannot find a copy online that doesn't do this, and needless to say, this game is never available to buy on the usual secondhand sources. Even then there would be no knowing if it worked. This in turn prevents you from completing the quests for Pallasade and Araqual because they need an item from Kitari. I conquered these three cities so only the smaller towns are not under my control.
The joys of playing a game 33 years later.! it is a great game, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting...IIRC the CRPG Addict completed that strategic part of the game, and I'm pretty sure he played the DOS version.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never tried the ST rom of this and getting a physical copy looks to be impossible..

Come to think of it; I didn’t try the abandonware iso or disk installs from myabandonware. I guess these work fine? I guess the cd extras are included? I’d need sone confirmation there. I can see the pics from st & DOS do have some difference like your party avatar.

izzywizzy

Literate
I have since ended the game by going into to the final dungeon. Mostly with these long RPGs I am pleased when it comes to an end, but in this case I was a bit disappointed that it was over. There are no CD extras on the Atari ST version, the myabondonware disk images have the same problem. It is of course possible that the original game had this problem, it had a mediocre review at the time in STformat and you can be sure it didn't sell to well. Many people would have found it too difficult to have gotten very far, so perhaps the problem was never known to Megasoft.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Interesting...IIRC the CRPG Addict completed that strategic part of the game, and I'm pretty sure he played the DOS version.
I don't think he did, he tried to fight the final battle with just the freebie troops you get from getting the lords on your side diplomatically, and found it impossible. He then skipped the wargame and went to the final dungeon and killed the boss that way.

izzywizzy

Literate
I gave the battle a try. It is interesting, but quite a slow process to manage even the too few units that I had. There is no chance of victory without having recruited a lot of extra forces, which I wasn't able to do at all. I would also be expensive and therefore most people will take the other method to finish the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom