Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

wait what, 2d6 with -20? Very unfair.

Hella unfair.

Thing with situational bonuses is, they’re situational. Meaning, there’s going to be a situation where that malus goes away...

vota DC

Augur
I am more worried that max bonus Is+12. Attribute can start 6 (all skills related to that attribute will have that value), I level and put 6 points...I level up again but +12 is reached.

luinthoron

Learned
You want another quick fix for your preview addiction? Go ahead:

https://sagamer.co.za/2019/10/09/disco-elysium-is-a-wordy-weird-journey-begging-to-be-explored
Disco Elysium is a wordy, weird journey begging to be explored
disco_elysium_cover.jpg

I have played a few hours of Disco Elysium now and when things get really busy during review periods, the number of previews being written really slacks off. But Disco Elysium is the kind of game that you just need to tell people about, a gem in the rough that offers something special, something different that is begging to use up your time as you read your way through the strange happenings.

disco-preview1.jpg

You start the game unconscious, and well, I think at one point or more you beg to be unconscious again. Parts of your body speak to you: your limbic system, your reptilian brain, your sense of authority. All of these bits of you have stats, indicating whether you are good at physical feats, mental gymnastics, being dramatic or touching the dark, hidden world of the undead and obscure. All of these parts offer you choices, shaping the character you are. Do you decide to be a communist, maybe just a little? Are you a regular cop, a boring cop, or something like Patrick Jane from The Mentalist (though much, much uglier, sorry to say)? All of these stats form your character and how you interact with the world as you realise you are an alcoholic amnesiac who is supposed to be investigating a murder. You don’t even know your name and it seems you misplaced your identification papers and several other important items.

disco-preview2.jpg

Disco Elysium plays a lot like a CRPG, though I haven’t seen any combat in my few hours yet. I don’t want to see combat, I don’t think my character would be any good in a fight, not with his pot-belly and shaking hands and terrible constitution. Apparently I am a veteran detective, but I can’t get near a corpse without losing the contents of my stomach. I don’t mind the lack of combat because I am too busy enjoying all the WORDS. ZA/UM says the game has a million words and from what I have seen, the quality in that quantity is making it worth reading every smidge of text, from the dubious union boss that screams mafia don, to my brain telling me odd things to try out. In one (short and failed) playthrough I couldn’t help pick up a broken but still smouldering cigarette butt, in another, my character really wants to do karaoke.

Thankfully despite my amnesia, my Encyclopaedic part of my mind is full of tidbits of information so I have a small understanding of the setting and the city I am in. I’m so broke I am considering sleeping in the rubbish or collecting trash to recycle and the whole time, a detective from another precinct is following me around… long side-on glances and sighs as he pretends to review case notes as I do the weirdest things. Thankfully my Visual Calculus skill is good enough that I can pick up fine details, like the exact number of footprints in the mud and what size shoes made the marks. I’m like Sherlock Holmes, but nobody respects my genius. Or perhaps they are thrown off by the stench of vomit and the stupid grin on my face that used to be popular decades ago and isn’t even used ironically anymore. My character is so out of touch.

disco-preview3.jpg

I believe the game is somewhere between 60 and 90 hours and I can believe it. It took around 4 hours to reach the end of the current day, as time ticks on as you read through dry reports or old case files and I have no idea where I will sleep. Or how I will pay the bill at the place where I was staying, where I trashed the place and drank enough liquor to kill someone. Maybe I am dead and this is hell. It would explain why nothing is going my way. Not that I am not enjoying myself thoroughly as I dig through this unique, puzzling mess.

Disco Elysium is on Steam and GOG and releases on 15 October.

vota DC

Augur
I am more worried that max bonus Is+12. Attribute can start 6 (all skills related to that attribute will have that value), I level and put 6 points...I level up again but +12 is reached.

There aren't any levels. You just get a skill point from time to time.
But system doesn't give you more skills if the attribute that govern then is higher?

vota DC

Augur

There aren't any levels. You just get a skill point from time to time.
But system doesn't give you more skills if the attribute that govern then is higher?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The number of points you can put in a skill is capped by the base stat that governs said skill. If you have 6 INT, you can put 6 additional skill points into logic or rhetoric. If you have 3 INT, you can put in 3 more points.

But you also get bonuses from thoughts and equipment. For example, I set my fysique at 1, but my physical instrument skill is at 6 thanks to some thoughts and several articles of clothing.

Edit: with 6 INT, all your INT skills start at 6 and can be raised to 12. With 1 INT, they start at 1 and can be raised to 2.

luinthoron

Learned
and what are stat check values? Is 12 on high end?

I’ve seen checks above 20, although for the higher ones there are usually actions you can take to give yourself additional bonuses. And if you roll a 12 you pass any active check.
Would expect them to be around there, yeah, considering max skill giving you +12 and 2d6 having a good chance of rolling a 7. Why even bother going that far into a skill otherwise?

How does the autosave work? Is it on a per conversation, level load, or timed basis? Trying to gauge if I can play the game relying solely on autosaves for minimal savescumming.

Deleted Member 16721

How does the autosave work? Is it on a per conversation, level load, or timed basis? Trying to gauge if I can play the game relying solely on autosaves for minimal savescumming.

Autosaves trigger every now and then. Still, I was making regular saves just in case, as autosave didn't seem to trigger enough to my liking. No need to save scum, the game offers unique scenarios for failed checks and you can continue your play unless you die or something (which I didn't in my 8 hours of playing the first day.) Just save once in awhile too, no harm done.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
does this game have voice acting?

Yeah, it’s partially voiced—a lot more than you might expect.

Pretty sure it autosaves after every red check (the major ones you can only attempt once), whether you succeed or fail.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It is art, but it's not art as it's lately become -- of, by, and for a small coterie of cognoscenti set out to impress each other with how dense and incomprehensible their art is.

You could simply say - degeneracy art.

Nowadays way too many people are concerned about who is allowed to say what. You're only allowed to talk about racism if you're black, or trans rights if you're trans, or poverty if you're poor, or, to pick an example from the Cyberpunk brouhaha, voodoo if you're Haitian.

It' because today's western society is masked opression of bunch of very influental people, in reality it's fascistic opression society, where instead of race theory is a feminists agenda, aimed not at race, but directly on social stratum - a combination of sex/race/age.

I'm really curious how will it be received politically.

I think guys's strategy is "to walk on thin ice", and given their backgroud, I think they have chances.

Better safe than sorry but neither Steam

I think Gaben is practically "a saint". I'm serious, when he will be gone, we will all see how actually GOOD it was.

Thought cabinet = THC = main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana

Excuse me? THC - To Hit Chance!
What the fuck are you smoking there?

luinthoron

Learned
PC Gamer shows some optimism:

https://www.pcgamer.com/our-predictions-for-the-biggest-games-and-surprises-for-the-rest-of-2019/
Disco Elysium might well be Game of the Year
Andy K: Having just sunk 16 hours into a preview build, I think Disco Elysium definitely has a shot at being the, or at least one of, the year’s best games. It’s one of the most impossibly deep RPGs I’ve ever played, and the writing is fantastic—if a little indulgent at times. What makes it special is the sheer number of skill checks in every interaction and conversation, with more permutations than I think any single human could ever realistically see. It’s a role-playing game in the truest sense, allowing you to shape your alcoholic detective in a terrifyingly dense variety of ways. I’ll hold off on proclaiming it GOTY until I get my hands on the review code, but for now, it’s a very strong contender indeed.

Jody: I thought Torment: Tides of Numenera was going to scratch that Planescape itch, but it kept repeating scenes, characters, and themes from the original only in a different setting, like one of those cover versions that takes a song you like then turns it bluegrass or whatever. Disco Elysium is another RPG with gleefully lurid writing about an amnesiac so it's close enough to Planescape to scratch that itch, but being a detective game makes it feel like its own thing. Basically, I agree with Andy. Unless it suddenly adds tedious boss fights or something it's got Control beat for my personal GOTY.

barghwata

Savant
Yeah, it’s partially voiced—a lot more than you might expect.
Oh it's not fully voiced? That's a big deal breaker for me :(

If you're interested in RPGs that are rich in content, C&C and dialogue trees; you should lower your standards on voice acting, but you're entitled to your own opinion of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom