Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

thinking.png

bataille

Arcane
Looks like they've fixed the tooltip on the ice cream freezer. It now says "prybar not strong enough." ;)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like they've fixed the tooltip on the ice cream freezer. It now says "prybar not strong enough." ;)

I managed to pass the check with the prybar a few days ago, the prybar bent and one of my skills told me to find a stronger tool.

You might want to consider enlisting some divine assistance

asterix

Educated
I'm going with max motorics the first time 'cause it's The Cool skill, and when I fail in everything else at least it'll be in The Coolest ways possible.

Second one will be max Intellect + Physique so I can intimidate people with my towering intellect and, once that fails, my fist, then give up on cop life right before solving the case due to morale failure 'cause everyone hates me.

luinthoron

Learned
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/10/how-dare-disco-elysium-tell-me-i-am-boring/

How dare Disco Elysium tell me I am boring??

I am still figuring out what I think of Disco Elysium, but I can say with some certainty that it is the first game where I have done a small fistpump and thought to myself, “Yeah, you really nailed telling that woman you found her husband’s body! Nailed it! Best cop ever!”

Disco Elysium is a very dense RPG, where you play an amnesiac alcoholic detective trying to solve a) a murder and b) his identity. As part of the latter quest, the game takes note of your words and actions, and uses them to build an outline of your personality traits. Then it suggests a “copotype” that you roughly adhere to. Until quite recently it suggested I was a “Boring Cop”. I was, as you can imagine, livid at this.

I’ve blurred out the character’s name here, because that is a particularly hard won nugget of information.

But, I had to admit, the game did have a point. Disco Elysium seems desperate for you to take the road less travelled. The loading screens encourage you to try weirder conversational options, because they probably won’t hurt. In other RPGs (that is to say, yer BioWares) I tend to play it quite safe and say what I think people want to hear, because that’s how you get your alliances, companions and quests. Playing to habit therefore in Disco Elysium, I found myself apologising for all the jerk-off things my drunk self had done the night before, and generally being quite nice and polite to people. And to be fair, you know, that’s what you should do!

My cop even runs around with a plastic bag in hand, so he can pick up discarded cans and bottles and recycle them for money. This is both responsible and thrifty. But it is also the action of someone who reuses teabags and irons their pants. The Boring assessment was fair, I suppose, if slightly cruel – and because your copotype is technically suggested by the echoing recesses of your own brain, it was also a bit of a self-burn.

I resolved to change: being boring could not stand. And the game was willing to help. Disco Elysium, after all, offers you a dazzling array of options to say things people won’t like. as a result, I now have a permanent -1 to my social checks with a particular, racist, lorry driver because I told him to fuck off. Literally, it says ‘-1 Fuck off’ when listing the modifiers applying to my conversations with him. Is that boring? I think not.

I began telling people I was a rock star and/or very cool, and picked up the thought Some Kind Of Superstar for my Thought Cabinet. I have now internalised this, to the point where I have permanent bonuses to some skills, but a -1 to my Logic, for obvious reasons. I still carry around the plastic bag at all times, though. But I am a Superstar Cop. Perhaps what happened to me in Disco Elysium is a compressed representation of what happened to the most insufferable people you know in real life.

The copotype thing seems to me to be very deliberate, and I have to give a begrudging well done to ZA/UM, there. After all, who wants to be a Sorry Cop or a Boring Cop? A loser, in other words. Plus, I just changed what I was wearing so I’d have a better chance at succeeding at karaoke. Whilst holding a plastic bag. That doesn’t sound like the work of a loser to me. And I totally nailed the karaoke. Best cop ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Because hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to virtue. F*g tells the audience that you know it’s not nice to call people fags, which is what the people who’d object really care about. It’s a bright neon sign screaming “this is a depiction, not an endorsement.”

There is another side - this mean acceptance with the ideology of faggotry as normality, also if we dig deeper - it's the tribute that virtue pays to vice.
But if there is censor filter option it's just partially bad. )

drawing the line

Yeah, it mean that someone is more equival and more importantly - all the magic of cleverness and braveness of cool team&writers are vanished.
That mean they are actually afraid and like coudn't find the solution to circumvent this shit.
A broken hero.

Maybe it's some Advanced Selective Cultural Responsibility Theory I'm not aware of, who knows.

Maybe it is. Highly likely.

if you say faggot people lose their shit

Yeah, homosexualist was made untoucheable almost as Jews, just a little bit lower grade.
I remember when I wrot in a ToME4 chat that my internet provider is a faggot - I was lynched in 5 minutes and banned forever, when I tried to appeal to democracy and freedom of speech I learned a lot lol - this bullshit democracy doesn't have anything in common with private enterprises lol, it' sonly for government ahah.
Was very insightful how actually "democracy" work in reality today.

Make a small concession to liberal sensitivities without changing the substance or content of the game - which was written, feature complete, partly voiced, and playable from start to finish at this time?

It's not small - it's HUGE as mountain.

They could have rewritten the dialogue to just not have the Bad Word like everybody else does and none of you snowflakes would have noticed. Leaving it in but bleeped out is a middle finger to the sensibilities it ostensibly protects.

Not only that - it's also banner of defeat, white as snow.
It's telling all the faggots and perverts who hate normality and white man as keeper of it - look, they buckled and bowed before us.

I feel bitterness tbh.
But if there is an option to switch it off (imagine you can switch off censorship haha - it's always in your head) - then it's not catastrophe at least...

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
I'm really curious about how a high Shivers stat plays out...

Anyone knows?

Shivers acts kinda like esprit de corps (i.e. it provides thematic vignettes/images; not sure if it's used for anything actually present at the scene), but it's more hallucinatory than matter-of-facty. It's fairly rare and has to do with city life and all that it entails. Not a primary skill by any means. By the middle of day 2 I've seen only 1 or 2 active shivers checks, and one of them was of legendary difficulty. It's passively checked semi-frequently if you have high physique/bonuses. It's a cool skill to have, but I wouldn't put points into it.

On a side note, cunoesse's background is terrifying. Kudos to the developers for having enough courage to lock such good content under a legendary empathy check.

vota DC

Augur
I'm going with max motorics the first time 'cause it's The Cool skill, and when I fail in everything else at least it'll be in The Coolest ways possible.

Second one will be max Intellect + Physique so I can intimidate people with my towering intellect and, once that fails, my fist, then give up on cop life right before solving the case due to morale failure 'cause everyone hates me.
Can't you be a gentle cop but instead of apologize use your suggestion skill to wololo and pretend the drunk guy was your evil twin and you never touched drugs in your entire life?

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Can't you be a gentle cop but instead of apologize use your suggestion skill to wololo and pretend the drunk guy was your evil twin and you never touched drugs in your entire life?

Guess you're gonna have to play it to find out, no?

Insert Title Here
Shivers acts kinda like esprit de corps (i.e. it provides thematic vignettes/images; not sure if it's used for anything actually present at the scene), but it's more hallucinatory than matter-of-facty. It's fairly rare and has to do with city life and all that it entails. Not a primary skill by any means. By the middle of day 2 I've seen only 1 or 2 active shivers checks, and one of them was of legendary difficulty. It's passively checked semi-frequently if you have high physique/bonuses. It's a cool skill to have, but I wouldn't put points into it.

Didn't the devs say that Shivers is also the only skill in the game that actually has it's own unique storyline or something like that?

vota DC

Augur

It Is the missing piece of pst: nameless can be good or bad, serious or boring but he can't deny the past. What can be better than saying I dindu nuffin?

luinthoron

Learned

It Is the missing piece of pst: nameless can be good or bad, serious or boring but he can't deny the past. What can be better than saying I dindu nuffin?
Even with all these musicians involved with the game, especially the voices, they sadly couldn't get Shaggy to voice your character and had to drop this line.

By the middle of day 2 I've seen only 1 or 2 active shivers checks, and one of them was of legendary difficulty

Not good. Not good at all. Low amount of checks..
Well, it's how they described Shivers form the start, I guess. Again from the design ethos post:
Some skills only pop up one or two times — they will be all the more special for it. While other’s buzz around as often as possible. (Empathy always tells you what people are feeling but when Shivers comes in, it’s a special moment.)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Edit: fuck me, this age we live in, is it neurotic or what?

It's world-wide shisophrenia induced on idustrial scale with different methods.

I actually think an end of the world storyline could only benefit this game, youre getting something completely unique

Yes, I'm sure that was the intention of Marat Sar of building it like that.

god damn this game is going to be a HUGE hit

Going to be? It was already a HIT - I still can feel the pain in my solar plexus like some f***t punched me there.

"Pile of Eternite", "Night City"

Wait, where was Pile of Eternity? And to what is a Night City reference?

Russians kinda used to it, but French and German-speaking countries could get offended.

I think - it's just a thought haha - they need to get used to it, just like Russians are.

:hahano:

Fenix = Prime Junta.

:updatedmytxt:

Wait what? I'm not even for a second was fooled by PoE as "spiritual something" and good - even decent - game in general.
Same for Numazuma.

You have NO IDEA how hard it is to keep all these alts straight. I have a different computer using a different VPN for each of them, all in different colours. Mine (i.e. Kasparov’s mom’s), Fenix’s, Sailor Woedica’s, normie’s of course (parody race realist account), and a few more none of you even suspect yet. I’m worried the power bill will bankrupt me.

I KNEW it! That explains all my life completely - I'm somebody's alt!

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Shivers is special, and something can't be special if thrown at you left and right.
So yeah - it's the most rare skill I guess.

Oh, and I completely forgot. Just for lulz.

Look at this, who is there? It's small puffy racist here got in the trap.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Wait, Kasparov is developer for this game?

Oh, i wait this game a lot. I enjoyed Planescape Torment: will it look like it? So far i like writing in dialogues. I think writer used heavy hallucination drugs (extrasy? LSD?), but writing is perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom