Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

biggestboss

Liturgist
So in the end, the real murder was DE killing my GPU.
Okay, scratch that review, it's postmodern filth after all...

:(
I don't know if it will actually fix the issue but if it happens to work that would be nice. I play DE at work during my lunch break and my computer sounds like a hurricane which annoys all my coworkers.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
giphy.gif

it's just funny cuz I'm a left winger (more of a leftist than a liberal to be fair) and I'm like wut how did you get this interpretation, where did this interpretation come from

Fake Left. This shit is virulent among the Haute Bourgeois. Rationalization for hosing the working man.

"At the centre of all this ideology is the matter of your privilege. Disco Elysium remains very much aware that you are playing a middle-aged, heterosexual, white man--a policeman, no less--and that fact grants him a heightened degree of privilege to express himself. You're able to reinvent yourself, to choose to be this or that type of person, without much in the way of repercussions, save the odd disapproving glance from Kim. Meanwhile, many of the characters you meet aren’t possessed of the same privilege; they’re the downtrodden, exploited by authority, trapped in systemic poverty, or just desperately trying to escape their circumstances. The contrast makes this point with piercing clarity."

wut
giphy.gif

The game is pretty explicit with the "privilege of authority" angle - the loading screen tips downright tell you that its okay to say crazy things because you are a cop and people are more forgiving of people of authority. By extension, being a crazy motherfucker doing crazy things - like breaking into random people's apartments, digging through trash, and yelling at people on the street - is something you can get away with even outside of your own jurisdiction because people are afraid of the authority you evoke.

In terms of race dynamics, Harry can expect multiple minority NPCs to pretty much be the representatives of their race - Elizabeth and Kim come to mind, the latter can be asked to tell you all about Seol even though he explicitly tells you that he has never been there. That and all the people referring to the Semenese as "thieving kipts."

I think the author of the review is off the mark about the male privilege angle. Male privilege only hurts the PC, who failed and continues to fail to reach the higher sexual standard placed on him by chauvinist society.

Seeing Harry's personal journey through the lens of privilege is as valid of a perspective as any other one, but I prefer to see it as more of an existentialist statement - Harry can only reinvent himself because he has, through repeatedly hitting rock bottom, degenerated into something very closely resembling nothing. Through supernatural phenomenon or regret and wishful thinking, he has either denied or lost his memories, thereby losing his essence - losing his old self, his old life. The Harry as we know him wasn't born in the Old Military Hospital 44 years prior to the start of the game but rather entered existence on the dirty floor of a trashed hostel room.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Nice way to sell Measurehead to the twitterati though.

Measurehead doesn't make sense. He uses "scientific racism" language while also throwing in terms from genetics. The latter obsoletes the former.
Nah, mate. Haploautism is a serious medical condition nowadays, particularly on /pol/.

Does this imply that ingame racial terms are connectible to real-world races by means of this "haplogroup" stuff? I need to boot Windows to check.

Also, does "haploautism" refer to the idiots who believe in this haplogroup stuff?

it's just funny cuz I'm a left winger (more of a leftist than a liberal to be fair) and I'm like wut how did you get this interpretation, where did this interpretation come from

What's the proper term for the non-SJW-identity-politics left these days?

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Pretty sure they got it from the loading screen where the game tells you people tend to be more forgiving of erratic behavior when it comes from authority figures like police officers. But that was just Disco giving the player permission to go crazy, not a subtle meditation on the nature of privilege.

I'd be pretty fucking alarmed seeing a drunk cop doing erratic stuff. Call the precinct and stuff. It offends my versimillitude.

Boring Cop™

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Nice way to sell Measurehead to the twitterati though.

Measurehead doesn't make sense. He uses "scientific racism" language while also throwing in terms from genetics. The latter obsoletes the former.
That's the point. You can even challenge his ideas about criminal jawline, his origins, history of alcohol and several others and he just ignores them. He's just a stuck up idiot spouting big words to feel smart, a parodic character.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Wouldn't be a noir tale without all the cool characters dragging on fags constantly. Harry, balcony swish, the femme fatale. Even otherwise dorky straight-edge Kim gets his fag on in the evenings for +1 style points.

Prime Junta

^
That would've been more effective as just "Welcome to Revachol." Let him discover the meaning by himself...

Dodo1610

Arcane
Finally finished it, 2019's only :5/5: game. Everything I heard was true: best writing ever, amazing atmosphere, best worldbuilding in video game history. And the best part Kurvitz knew when to end it and how without dragging their story out like so many other games.

Dico Elysium 2 should be about Du Buis and Kitsuaragi finding Cryptids, that scene at the end was just pure magic. :love:
Though I would also love to see them make a real RPG and less of an Adventure/RPG hybrid at some point.

Rev

Arcane
Finished it yesterday.
Great game, the unique setting and atmosphere, the writing that is really, really good and capable of shifting from hilarious and silly to tragedy and heartbreaking moments (but also some pretty nice ones from time to time), the characters that are again written very well, not just the main ones but also pretty much every NPC you can encounter has its identity and is capable of standing out, some may appear a bit bland at first glance but then you can discover a lot of interesting stuff that really adds depth to each of them, and especially the best thing is that each of them is deeply human. And also Martinaise is kind of its own character, the place feels alive and has a history of its own that you can learn by talking to the right people, passing skill checks, etc.
The artstyle is amazing too, best looking isometric RPG out there together with PoE2 (for different reasons).

I posted some days ago when I was about halfway through and I said it was shaping to be the RPGOTY and I can confirm it now: definetely the best rpg of the year, also one of the best of the last years as well imo.
I've read a bit over this and the spoiler thread and I agree with some of the criticism that has been made about the last part of the game, but still I think the game is amazing and I've also liked a lot of the last chapters too, although it is true that it gets more linear and that there could be some improvements here and there. But then again, what game is perfect?
Hope the game sells well and that we can see other rpgs from these Estonian commies in the future. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom