Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Harthwain

Magister
How the FUCK are you supposed to discover the existence of SPINAL CORD without looking it up? It requires so many successful checks of completely different Skills it seems almost like a hidden "a-ha! you looked that up in a walkthrough!" easter egg from the developers.
I think it's one of the things you either hunt for specifically or happen to stumble upon by accident. I did it on my first playthrough without looking it up and without reloading.

Also, Shivers seems to be the only specifically outsider Personality within your head.
Shivers is your lovecraftian Sixth Sense. Your ability to notice the unusual stuff. Like, the movements out of the corner of your eyes or a weird behaviour of people you talk to or look at. That kind of thing. This and your "feel of the city". I find Espirit de Corps to be similar to Shivers in some aspects, because outside of interacting with your fellow officers you also get "glipses" of what they are doing at the moment, without you being there. Frankly, I found that part of the skill (Espirit de Corps) to be a bit weak, because it felt too much as if they were trying to pad out the skill to make it seem like it's doing something, because of how little can you use it otherwise.

As to Physique - a lot of people are especially hard on Endurance, but one needs to remember - his main goal, his main purpose, is keeping Harry alive. And Endurance knows Harry absolutely sucks at keeping himself alive. Which would also explain Endurance's misogyny - it is perfectly aware that the source of Harry's self-destructive tendencies is a woman, and thus wants to keep the Detective away from them.
My take is that in Endurance's eyes Men of Wo are weak, therefore our drunk shouldn't associate himself with them or he could get infected with their weakness.

Generally Physique is the only Attribute which contains Skills so in conflict with one another.
How are they in conflict?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
How the FUCK are you supposed to discover the existence of SPINAL CORD without looking it up? It requires so many successful checks of completely different Skills it seems almost like a hidden "a-ha! you looked that up in a walkthrough!" easter egg from the developers.
I think it's one of the things you either hunt for specifically or happen to stumble upon by accident. I did it on my first playthrough without looking it up and without reloading.

Also, Shivers seems to be the only specifically outsider Personality within your head.
Shivers is your lovecraftian Sixth Sense. Your ability to notice the unusual stuff. Like, the movements out of the corner of your eyes or a weird behaviour of people you talk to or look at. That kind of thing. This and your "feel of the city". I find Espirit de Corps to be similar to Shivers in some aspects, because outside of interacting with your fellow officers you also get "glipses" of what they are doing at the moment, without you being there. Frankly, I found that part of the skill (Espirit de Corps) to be a bit weak, because it felt too much as if they were trying to pad out the skill to make it seem like it's doing something, because of how little can you use it otherwise.

As to Physique - a lot of people are especially hard on Endurance, but one needs to remember - his main goal, his main purpose, is keeping Harry alive. And Endurance knows Harry absolutely sucks at keeping himself alive. Which would also explain Endurance's misogyny - it is perfectly aware that the source of Harry's self-destructive tendencies is a woman, and thus wants to keep the Detective away from them.
My take is that in Endurance's eyes Men of Wo are weak, therefore our drunk shouldn't associate himself with them or he could get infected with their weakness.

Generally Physique is the only Attribute which contains Skills so in conflict with one another.
How are they in conflict?

Shivers specifically states that it comes from the outside.

As to "being in conflict" - I mean that the various Personalities within Physique have the most conflict between one another, and the most differentiating goals, amongst all three Attributes.

KVVRR

Learned
If it weren't for the novel I'd say it's just Harry recalling things that he previously knew or straight up imagining them instead of something paranormal happening. Just because the genius says it's out of the bottle it doesn't mean it's true.
but we know that Revachol will get blown out in a few years

And of course Physique's skills are in constant conflict, they're literally a bunch of meatheads and junkies. They repressent the most aggressive and manliest of Harry.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
If it weren't for the novel I'd say it's just Harry recalling things that he previously knew or straight up imagining them instead of something paranormal happening. Just because the genius says it's out of the bottle it doesn't mean it's true.

And of course Physique's skills are in constant conflict, they're literally a bunch of meatheads and junkies. They repressent the most aggressive and manliest of Harry.

What's the novel about?

Prime Junta

What's the novel about?

I love what Google Translate does with the Estonian description.

Holy and spooky smell
by Robert Kurvitz

On the penultimate day of the summer break, four daughters of Minister of Education Ann-Margret Lund will disappear from the public beach. On the first voyage, the newly consecrated vessel disappears aboard a thousand five hundred passengers. The girls' three classmates do not leave the examination twenty years later. The world is disappearing, but the hope is not to find Lund's children yet.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18478276-p-ha-ja-udne-l-hn

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

What's the novel about?

I love what Google Translate does with the Estonian description.

Holy and spooky smell
by Robert Kurvitz

On the penultimate day of the summer break, four daughters of Minister of Education Ann-Margret Lund will disappear from the public beach. On the first voyage, the newly consecrated vessel disappears aboard a thousand five hundred passengers. The girls' three classmates do not leave the examination twenty years later. The world is disappearing, but the hope is not to find Lund's children yet.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18478276-p-ha-ja-udne-l-hn

Is this a completely separate story from Disco Elysium?

Harthwain

Magister
Shivers specifically states that it comes from the outside.
Not exactly?
Shivers

Shivers is the strangest one out there and it’s proven to be a favourite for many people who’ve had the chance to play the game for longer. You know those hair follicles you have on your arm, on the back of your neck? Notice how they stand up sometimes? Accompanied by a cold sensation? Shivers controls that – your shiver response. It’s a residual leftover from hundreds of thousands of years ago, when you had a use for it…

What it does now, in the city of Revachol, in the early fifties, I can’t tell you. It’s a secret. This skill has its own storyline. The signals your shiver response relays to you seem to come from somewhere. The sensations want to tell you something.

All I can tell you is – Shivers connects you to the atmosphere of the city of Revachol. To the side alleys and the burnt down city blocks far away. It’s the sound of the streets, the ghost that rises old newspapers from the cobblestones. It turns you into a lightning rod for sudden temperature shifts, barometrics and changes in weather. Shivers even reacts to the weather our randomly generated climate system summons. If it’s raining Shivers tells you one thing, if it’s snowing, it’ll tell you another.

Ultimately, a high Shivers lets you hear and feel the city of Revachol. It is the only clearly supra-natural ability you have in the game. Figuring out what it all means and who speaks to you through those rising hair follicles, is a mystery for you to solve.

I suspect it will take quite a few playthroughs, though. This game really has a crazy amount of little things hidden in the way the skill system reacts to the things you see and do in Revachol.
Source

Yes, it's "the only clearly supra-natural ability", but it is body-related: it's literally goose bumps. Developers call it shivering, but what they depict is goose bumps mechanism.

As to "being in conflict" - I mean that the various Personalities within Physique have the most conflict between one another, and the most differentiating goals, amongst all three Attributes.
Isn't that depending on what skills you specifically pump up and the subject at hand?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/2860303582292577886

Disco Elysium is now available in Spanish and Korean!
Simplified Chinese version optimized too

A magnificent engine roars before you. Yet this is no machine – it is the esteemed beast Disco Elysium, equipped with powerful laryngeal muscles.

You look up as it opens wide an imposing maw above you, lined with a full set of impressive fangs, but it is the soft patty of flesh in the middle that catches your attention. As you watch, the tongue splits and forks in four separate directions. Somehow, you now realise, it has learned to speak four languages – a tongue for each one.

624ec20b814ed6bba4e07dd8fa42222bc18925c0.png

Hello everyone! We're very happy to announce that Disco Elysium is now available to play in Spanish and Korean. The Simplified Chinese version has also been optimized based on player feedback and thousands of internal revisions.

This is all down to the passionate work of our translation teams, who we have been working with closely for the past several months to make each translation the best it can be. We'd like to say a great big thank you to those teams and hope that you will join us in celebrating and supporting their efforts.

We will continue to improve the text in all available languages going forward so please carry on letting us know of any ways you think we could do this. We love hearing from you and can't thank you enough for all the support we have received and continue to receive. We hope to keep impressing you and reciprocating your love with future updates.

We're also putting the game on a -25% sale for a limited time alongside this launch. Now is a great time to pick up Disco Elysium if you haven't already, or to gift it to a friend who has been waiting to play it – especially if their preferred language is Spanish or Korean.

DISCO ELYSIUM Patch notes for version 4510a8c6 (viewable in the F1 menu, bottom right)
  • Korean language added!
  • ¡Spanish language added!
  • Fixed some inventory inconsistencies.
  • Credit scrolling fixes. You will see. Plus, Korean team added to credits. Cheers!
  • Some dialogue fixes. Always good to have a dialogue!
Take care and stay safe folks! Remember to report bugs here.

I just did a run a in DE. This is a really cool game. 4422 in skills and “esprit de corps” for my favored talent. T’hell with the haters, it was good shit. I’m going to roll a dumb-as-brick gym rat and see how that works out. Maybe I can start my day by getting with the dancer and punching that snot-nosed kid outside.

oscar

Arcane
There was quite a lot of nuance in the fascist route too. You could be a woman hating fascist, a white knighting one be a non-racist fascist (ala Integralism/Italian fascism) or a racist one. Proudly gay or super homophobic. Hell you could be a super-racist liberal if you want, the game gave you complete freedom (and acknowledged within the narrative and reactions) to be whatever weird ass combination of seeming contradictions.

While it is true that DE doesn't allow Harry to hold a particularly nuanced political position, what most people seem to miss is that all of Harry's possible ideologies exist as escape mechanisms for his actual problems. In this context, yes, Harry's political perspective is entirely unproductive and rarely breaches the level of parody, in stark contrast to Harry's world that offers a much more nuanced and interesting exploration of real life political ideologies against the backdrop of magical realism. DE's point doesn't seem to be that "communism, fascism, neoliberalism, and centrism are all equally bad and deserving of ridicule" but rather something like "forming your entire worldview as a defense mechanism against past trauma won't fix either your bruised psyche nor your broken world."

I'm sure most of us know at least one person who got dumped by their significant other or flunked out of school or lost their job or whatever and turned into a political radical seemingly overnight (and, taking an honest look at General Discussions, most of you pitiful, damaged motherfuckers are exactly that person.) This seems to be what DE is trying to go for with its treatment of Harry's politics. or something like that idklol

prengle

Savant
breaking news, "professional" gaming journos have an arctic-temperature iq, and oh wait they've widely praised disco for years oh shit :shittydog:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
breaking news, "professional" gaming journos have an arctic-temperature iq, and oh wait they've widely praised disco for years oh shit :shittydog:

Only because the Disco people came out praising Marx.

Now you may think, no way, those journos can't be that fucking retarded, right? It can't be that simple.

Sadly, it probably is, and that Vice article is proof of it. They all rushed to praise the game because of their politics and no other reason, but upon actually playing the game it turns out things aren't as simple as they thought. That this isn't just a better made Sunset.

I think more game devs should start coming out praising communism as a marketing strategy. Would be kind of hilarious to see journalists praise games left and right only to discover none of them have anything to do with communism or social justice shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom