Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Mortmal

Arcane
Wow, its already on torrents and was downloaded 100 times in a minute.
Torrenting it would be shooting in my foot, 40 euros not a big deal and it's quite possibly even better than planescape torment...If games like that dont sell, the next things we play are action rpg on google stadia.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Found a typo in Measurehead dialogue. This really should have been released in Early Access!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Torrenting it would be shooting in my foot, 40 euros not a big deal and it's quite possibly even better than planescape torment...If games like that dont sell, the next things we play are action rpg on google stadia.

Well, people who do piracy are probably not buyers anyway. So fuck them.

zerosum

Novice
Patron
This is the most interesting RPG game I have played in quite a while. Hope to see more non-traditional narrative structures in games going forward.

Jinn

Arcane
Just popping in to say that I'm enjoying the first couple hours quite a bit. Nothing like this game out there, that's for sure.

But more importantly, a question: so, uh, can you turn off the censoring? I'm not seeing an option anywhere, or am I just missing it?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just popping in to say that I'm enjoying the first couple hours quite a bit. Nothing like this game out there, that's for sure.

But more importantly, a question: so, uh, can you turn off the censoring? I'm not seeing an option anywhere, or am I just missing it?

Don’t think so, but it should just be the one word.

Mortmal

Arcane

Well, people who do piracy are probably not buyers anyway. So fuck them.
Not sure about that,there's a fair share of people with money who do it, people have no trouble to buy MMO mounts for the price of a whole game, or skin in fortnite but torrent everything else cause its easy without any retaliations.

vota DC

Augur
41%
I noticed that one of the steam achievement is "Il Coppo del'Arte" while other achievemens are in english language.
What the hell means?

Disco Elysium: The Short Review

Since Disco Elysium launches in a few hours and I couldn't find enough time to do a full review yet, here's a short version

Is Disco Elysium the best RPG of all time? That's very subjective. But I can surely say that it's the best RPG of it's kind since Planescape: Torment (you'll be hearing this a lot more).

Since I've mentioned Torment here, there is no need to explain what kind of an RPG Disco Elysium is.

*If you're a person who doesn't enjoy reading extremely detailed walls of text frequently for 10+ minutes at a time, then this is not the right RPG for you.

*If it's combat you look forward to the most in an RPG, then this is not the right game for you.

You're still here? Good. Disco Elysium is many things. It's part tense detective drama, part goofy buddy cop fiction, part Existential Crisis-The Game, part self-discovery book, part disturbing Irvine Welsh novel, all mixed into an uncanny bag.

Other than that, it's really hard to explain how weird and bizarre Disco Elysium truly is.

Pros

+ The super-detailed writing, unique retro setting and suspenseful story

+ Dialogue simulator

+ The 'ol amnesiac trope but pulled off well

+ Role play as either drunk cop, bad cop, slightly good cop, druggie cop, hobo cop, butthole cop, superstar cop or even apocalyptic cop

+ Punch a junkie kid in the face, scream I AM THE LAW in the face of the elderly, lick alcohol off a desk, steal shoes off a dead body

+ Drink yourself to death, cry in front of a mob boss, have the aforementioned junkie kid make yourself his lil' bish, impose your nihilistic world views on a young girl

+ Engage in frequent discussions with the multitude of voices in your head

+ 24 unique skills, each having its own use

+ Develop up to 16 unique thoughts in your head per playthrough to further define your character. Become a feminist and ask people if they have a phallus in their ear.

+ Skillchecks, skillchecks everywhere

+ Despite the heavy dialogue-driven gameplay, the character models are well animated

+ Beautiful, painting-like visuals

+ Amazing soundtrack

Cons

- No traditional combat system. All combat encounters take place through dialogues and skill checks (and there aren't a lot). Not really a con but can be a turn off to some

- A fixed character like in Torment (But you modify his attributes, skills, can shape his personality and decide how the world perceives you)

- The story-driven nature of the game results in the player not having the freedom to do things other RPGs offer (like beat the living shit out of random NPCs)

- Not a challenging game at the slightest

- Time moves forward when you talk to people/take part in scripted events (Simply walking around doesn't count). Though you get plenty of time to talk to people and explore before a day ends, timed stuff annoys the hell out of me.

- Some of the load times are kind of long even on an SSD

- Cannot pan the camera or change movement controls (Double-clicking to run all the time becomes tiring)

- Sometimes the pathfinding is iffy

- Need the ability to customize UI elements

Personally, one of the best RPG I've played in recent times (and I've played a lot). Do note that Disco Elysium will only appeal to a certain RPG crowd (those that aren't turned off by text-driven narrative)

Also, remember to turn off the political side of your brain before taking the plunge. Disco Elysium is a self-conscious game that may or may not offend some of your beliefs. But it's all in good spirit. It's a video game after all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg_gamers/comments/di7xea/disco_elysium_the_short_review/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom