Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PC ultra settings, i'm running it with 100+ fps, not impressed by the graphics

4x49Yf4.jpg

D9Jpyrk.jpg

Sodafish

Arcane
Played it for a few hours. I'm having to run it with everything on "very high" to get reasonable framerates, and even then outside there are frequent drops and slight mouse lags. And this is with an i7 4GHz, 16GB ram, SSD, Geforce GTX 970. Pretty pathetic tbh, especially as in motion the graphics really aren't that much of an improvement over the first game, like I said before. Hopefully there will be a performance patch soon.

Gameplay-wise it's much like the original of course, except I agree that the difficulty has increased. Enemies are much more alert than in the original, and fight better. Blocking their sword attacks without any upgrades on hard is actually tricky. Anyway, early days.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The enemy AI on hard mode just feels inconsistent to me to the point that getting detected or being able to sneak by just feels so random. Sometimes they can't see you perched on top of a pillar. And other times they will suddenly see you despite ignoring you every other time. Or having guards spot you through a railing down the other end of the street. And don’t get me started on the
clockwork soldiers who can see both backwards and forwards.
I still have no real tactic to deal with them that doesn’t involve me abusing the quick load key.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The enemy AI on hard mode just feels inconsistent to me to the point that getting detected or being able to sneak by just feels so random. Sometimes they can't see you perched on top of a pillar. And other times they will suddenly see you despite ignoring you every other time. Or having guards spot you through a railing down the other end of the street. And don’t get me started on the
I still have no real tactic to deal with them that doesn’t involve me abusing the quick load key.

The gameplay definitely seems more accommodating towards a butchery style, while ghosting requires you to spam Quickload every 30 seconds because the AI fucked you. D1 had that better balanced out.

Gord

Arcane
Didn't they want to make stealth/nonviolent more rewarding compared to 1?

Siel

Arcane
Patron

The gameplay definitely seems more accommodating towards a butchery style, while ghosting requires you to spam Quickload every 30 seconds because the AI fucked you. D1 had that better balanced out.

git gud

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

git gud

Nah, that's true for something methodical like Dark Souls. Here I feel like AI isn't so much governed by patterns, but by arbitrary agents. I always end up seeing myself getting into a fight with a flock of guards. Perhaps I should do Corvo for a ghosting, as most of Emily's powers are tailored towards murder and pandemonium anyway. A performance patch could help too to soothe my concentration. :P

Siel

Arcane
Patron

git gud

Nah, that's true for something methodical like Dark Souls. Here I feel like AI isn't so much governed by patterns, but by arbitrary agents. I always end up seeing myself getting into a fight with a flock of guards. Perhaps I should do Corvo for a ghosting, as most of Emily's powers are tailored towards murder and pandemonium anyway. A performance patch could help too to soothe my concentration. :P

Well I'm at mission 4, playing on hard with emily and I'm not experiencing frustrating AI. You just have to always keep your distances and watch patterns for longer times. The thing is you need to abuse powers here like domino which is very useful in some cases or pulling enemies towards you with far reach.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Any news on whether it's more fun/interesting to play Corvo or Emily? Or is it one of those games where you play both to get the full story?

I have only gotten half way so far with Emily. But I'm told that the story changes slightly depending on the character you play as. With cutscenes and conversations changing accordingly. But by the way people talk about Corvo in the game it sounds like everyone would shit a brick if you played as him at those moments. While Emily is often being mocked by just about everyone, even herself at times, for her poor handling of the empire.

It feels very much like its Emily's story. So I would say that it really needs to be played two or maybe even 4 times to see the full layout. Even if that story isn't impressing me all that much so far.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Any news on whether it's more fun/interesting to play Corvo or Emily? Or is it one of those games where you play both to get the full story?
Gamefaqs said it has been made for the female character, and some reactions doesn't feel right when playing as Corvo. Looks like missions are the same, only powers are different.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishonored_2#Development
Dishonored 2 is being developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks.[20] Though the first Dishonored was developed by both Arkane teams in Lyon (France) and Austin (America), its sequel was developed largely solely in Lyon as Arkane Studios Austin were focused on developing 2017's Prey.[21] Both studios, however, collaborated on the game, and playtested each other's builds.[8][21] The game will run on Arkane's new internal "Void" engine, as opposed to Unreal Engine 3 that was previously used in Dishonored. The Void engine is based on id Tech 5,[nb 1] with art director Sebastien Mitton saying the team kept "[roughly] 20 percent" of the original engine.[21] Arkane removed unneeded elements from the engine like the mini open world and overhauled the graphics. The new engine is intended to improve in-game lighting and post-processing to help the game's visuals,[2] and allows the game to visualize subsurface scattering.[23]

Divinity: Original Sin
well, played a little more until karnaca, just to see how it goes. Took powers route, but I intend to reload a previous save since I found only one painting and there's more loot to be found on the initial mission.

I guess I'll definitely play the no powers route, but will that prevent me from getting full loot? BTW, playing on the hardest available diff. I guess it will be a looooong playthrough and a lot of savescumming...

Echo Mirage

Arcane
well, played a little more until karnaca, just to see how it goes. Took powers route, but I intend to reload a previous save since I found only one painting and there's more loot to be found on the initial mission.

I guess I'll definitely play the no powers route, but will that prevent me from getting full loot? BTW, playing on the hardest available diff. I guess it will be a looooong playthrough and a lot of savescumming...

I was thinking about the no powers route while playing. It may just be the convenience of having powers that stop me finding other paths. But I'm not sure if it’s even possible to reach a lot of areas or even complete some side objectives without them. It will certainly limit your options. It will be a long playthrough no doubt, especially blind.

bonescraper

Jesus fuck, this game...
:negative:

First, it's sluggish as fuck although it has nothing to do with framerate. Vsync apparently doesn't work since this game still can go from 78 to 45 FPS. All the options for mouse smoothing and friction (whatever it's supposed to do) do nothing to make the game feel fluid enough. There's actually no option to turn off mouse smoothing entirely, you can only set it to 0 (you have the otpion to completely turn off frition on the other hand, along with the slider).

And the graphics men, the graphics... There are 2 options:
- blurry as fuck, but smooth
- jagged and fugly, but sharp

DSR doesn't seem to work, so i can't just set a 4k res that scales to my 22' monitor to have the best of both, because fuck you. Anything beyond 1080p just stretches the picture way beyond my monitor. What a shitty job.

The game seems excellent otherwise. It's waaay harder on very hard. Levels are great so far, even the leaning/peeking mechanics have been inclined. But i think i'll wait for a patch or two before i strat playing this for real.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom