Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Distant Worlds (with expansions)

MetalCraze

Arcane
After the disappointment that is Endless Space which went several steps back from old MoO2 - and that's in 2012 - my bro told me to try out Distant Worlds.

And so far it seems like Victoria IN SPACE

e6G00.jpg

The scale is truly impressive. This is a 10x10 sector map with 1000 stars in it. And it isn't the biggest galaxy available - it can be 50% bigger.

DX30u.jpg

But that's not all. You can seamlessly zoom in and out from the galaxy view to the planetary view seeing every military and civilian ship going about their own business - very much like in Space Rangers series.

IljwS.jpg

Each star may or may not have several planets. Each type of planet offers various types of resources (gathering them is done by civilians so you should only bother if you lack one and AI explorers - if enabled - didn't find it for you yet) incl. unique ones giving bonuses (similar to Civ3). You can also mine asteroid fields and gas clouds for resources.

hYG7o.jpg

Reapers are invading!!
Even though the game is randomly generated (through a very flexible generator) you can select an option to have a background plot too. Essentially an incoming huge invasion into a galaxy.

vy6m0.jpg

You can also have random encounters that may direct you to something cool or give you a unique tech or government type. Or be very hazardous. Oh and you can also build wonders - much like in Civ.

aAfcE.jpg

Speaking of techs - cosmic "anomalies" - e.g. supernova - can give bonuses to one of 3 big research trees present in a game if a research station is built near them. Scientist "heroes" can also give you nice bonuses, or on the other hand detract from your scientific progress if they will gain some bad trait. That goes for many other type of heroes. Upon ending one of the wars I had one of my admirals gained a "Drunk" trait.

bmOkx.jpg

And this is a ship designer. Scary at first glance - it's a min-maxer's wet dream. Hey you can even add a recreation hub to your military ship.
Of course you don't need to micromanage everything - by default everything is controlled by AI, which does a decent job at it, but you are free to take over anything except for civilian ships.

Oh yeah your main income comes from civilians which pay taxes. But to pay taxes they need to earn money. And to earn money they need to build ships. And they must build ships in your shipyards where you also build your fleets. Give a priority only to your ships - and money, exploration, resource and fuel transportation will suffer. And as a result so will your fleets and your empire.

Fuel? Ships need fuel. If they will not have enough they won't be able to do hyperjumps making them reach their destinations painfully slow. Without fuel troop ships won't be able to land on planets for invasions. Of course you can always bombard the planet to a stone age but doing so you reduce its quality and kill a population which otherwise can be enslaved and build you needed structures much faster. Besides some planets can't be colonized without research but if you will enslave their population - you will be able to control them.

And then there's diplomacy (4X-standard) with other races and even pirates with which you can ally and pay them to raid other races. You can send ambassador "heroes" to boost your diplomatic relations. You can send spy "heroes" on various missions to other empires too.

And apart from main empires with which you started - other minor independent races may rise to become superpowers. Or you can enslave them. Pirates can also volunteer to join your empire. There are also aliens that will simply attack, but also random alien traders that may offer you to buy something.

So whereas Endless Space taken several steps back from a 16 years old game - this game so far looks like a definite step forward.
Sure it's not as easy to get into but it also offers so much more.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yay, another game that plays itself. Player is not even required anymore! We already had that with MoO3 - in theory it had everything you wanted but in practice there wasnt anything to do for you unless you wanted to drown in micromanagement.

How is the AI?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Love the idea of the game. Execution however is a different thing. Even on highest difficulty I could get away with focusing on a few core colonies and spamming strong battle fleets from there and basing them in strategic spots around my empire. The game took care from there.

Idea is great however.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The great thing was the civilian sector is handling itself. So you'd do some mining stations, but after a while they would buy them and pay maintenance costs themselves. The same happens to resuply with an important material.

You also need to decide how would mining stations look like. Would they be a simple, or would they be able to repel small pirate ships? It's still missing a lot of important things however.

Norfleet

It's also very unstable and prone to going up in flames because the RAM management on this thing is terrible. The AI's behavior is essentially schizophrenic and lacks any kind of structure, so, not unlike Paradox in that respect. However, it is shiny.

DakaSha

Arcane
Not the first thread and game is garbage with a fanboy fanbase that loves to overlook its huge faults. Kinda like arma2 :troll:

Norfleet

The great thing was the civilian sector is handling itself. So you'd do some mining stations, but after a while they would buy them and pay maintenance costs themselves. The same happens to resuply with an important material.
Well, in THEORY, they could handle themselves. In practice, they don't do this very well, and most of their time is spent flying around aimlessly with empty cargo holds, and not actually transporting any cargo. They build WAAAY too many ships, resulting in massive lag, and can actually break the game outright when they spontaneously decide to queue 500 ships for construction at a single base that only has maybe 10 construction yards, resulting in the base becoming permanently jammed and the game hanging anytime you so much as look at this giant clusterfuck. It is...not as good as they claim it is.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's still way better than Endless Space and MoO series though. Provide me with a better option and I will gladly give it a try.

Quilty

Magister
I've been looking for a 4X game I could play with a few buddies in MP, and this game is really the only one that seems to offer some complexity. I'm kinda tempted to go back to Alpha Centauri, or maybe try Sins of the Solar Empire. Has anyone played any of these 4x games in MP? Which one would you pick if you were in my shoes?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For mp? Cant really be turn based unless it offers simultaneous turns. Battles cant stop the clock or have to have a fair autoresolve system.

Hmm from newer games Endless Space is a safe bet - simultaneous and battles dont pause the game. Other than that you have Sins of a Solar Empire and Sword of Stars. Both SoS and SoaSE have established their own mp communities...

kris

Arcane
Just met a nano-swarm. that was one tough beast, took out one of my fleets before I took it down.

JoKa

Cipher
I've been looking for a 4X game I could play with a few buddies in MP, and this game is really the only one that seems to offer some complexity. I'm kinda tempted to go back to Alpha Centauri, or maybe try Sins of the Solar Empire. Has anyone played any of these 4x games in MP? Which one would you pick if you were in my shoes?
I'd say go for Alpha Centauri, the MP is great fun ;-)

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'd say go for Alpha Centauri, the MP is great fun ;-)

Alpha Centauri is great fun overall but its horrible for any kind of competitive multiplayer. If you play for fun its fine but if you like challenging each other then its too unbalanced. Also takes a lot of time to finish.

JoKa

Cipher
could you elaborate on the 'unbalanced'-comment? yeah, you have to agree on some basic rules beforehand (like no empath guild for PCs etc.), but other than that, the factions are quite nicely balanced, i think. i absolutely agree that it takes a lot of time, but i think it's worth it (didn't actually play for ~3-4 years, unfortunaltely).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Factions and wonders are unbalanced. Hunter seeker algorithm in base for example.

JoKa

Cipher
the hunter seeker algorithm i agree on (and some other secret projects, like already mentioned above), that's why you normally prohibit them in MP. which faction do you feel is stronger/weaker than the rest? i

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gaians/University/Morgan/Hive are so much better than other factions. And among those I suppose that Gaians lead the race. Capturing mind worms? Can easily make for a spammable early army.

EmoBunny

Savant
The pirate faction is super fucking good, because they have expanded options in were to settle.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I want to give this game another try. I bought it and its first expansion a long time ago from the publisher's website, and only remember getting an email confirmation with a download link. I've long since not had the game or the email anymore, and can't find a way to recover the purchase. I don't think I have an account with the website, or at least it doesn't recognize the email I remember using. Any way to go about this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom