Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The important thing is that they're refining the combat mechanics. The PvP is just an excuse to show them off (and a way to test them)
That's why I said "the accent". I can understand some segment of players will like pvp, although I don't see many people buying it because of it alone. But the fact they are putting so much emphasis on the pvp in demonstrations...

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I wonder if they'll still have the spell that instantly destroys summons no matter what level they are.

I wonder if they'll still have the spell that instantly destroys summons no matter what level they are.
Summons were overpowered last time around. A banishment spell, perhaps only available to summoning master PCs, perhaps to whom extra resistances might apply, would go a long way towards ameliorating that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm actually happy the summoner won. I think the summon elemental/spider/skeleton etc. spells will still be available to non-summoners, but summoners will focus on them more, maybe have buffs or be able to summon multiple at a time. Bard or Alchemist would've been nice, too, maybe Trapper. Also, I haven't seen any info about spell combining recently, is that still a thing?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm actually happy the summoner won. I think the summon elemental/spider/skeleton etc. spells will still be available to non-summoners, but summoners will focus on them more, maybe have buffs or be able to summon multiple at a time. Bard or Alchemist would've been nice, too, maybe Trapper. Also, I haven't seen any info about spell combining recently, is that still a thing?
It's in the new video during the PVP section. They showed off blessing fire to make it heal people and cursing it for fire that can't be doused with water.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's in the new video during the PVP section. They showed off blessing fire to make it heal people and cursing it for fire that can't be doused with water.

I think that's a continuation of environmental interaction. I was talking about this -

We're also introducing Skill Crafting, a new mechanic that lets you combine different skills and spells to create powerful new ones. With skill crafting, you can mix a “silence" spell with a “summon spider” spell to make a “summon stealth spider” spell. A “rain" spell combined with a “grease" spell yields a “grease rain” spell. (By the way, wet grease explodes if it comes in contact with fire. Just another elemental bang to ruin your enemy's day.) And you can mix bleeding spells like "lacerate" with a "rain" spell to summon a tempest of blood.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
PvP means that even if you find yourself growing bored with mid/endgame content at least you can challenge yourself against other human beings. :M

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So basically, they rehashed the graphics, UI, art and everything else for the sequel, instead of doing something new.

I guess it's a quick cashfix :P

Pretty lazy. My hype kind of died down now.

It looks more like a SUPER DUPER enhanced II turbo demo challengers version of D:OS 1, than an actual new game.

I bet the writing is still shit, lel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you don't notice the difference in the models you are perhaps blind.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looks slightly updated, nothing major, certainly nothing that speaks "THE SEQUEL" Eh.

Looks more like a FAN-modification, with some SweetFX n shit sprinkled on for good measure, in an other blandt artstyle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks slightly updated, nothing major, certainly nothing that speaks "THE SEQUEL" Eh.

Looks more like a FAN-modification, with some SweetFX n shit sprinkled on for good measure, in an other blandt artstyle.

They went through the same "we need these to look less cartoony" pass that Shadowrun: Hong Kong did.

Anyway sequels can/should reuse as much as they can from their predecessors. It's what gives us Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, New Vegas.

Kaivokz

Arcane

What were you expecting? The only time games have a huge graphical shift is when there is a corresponding technical leap. Look at the Elder Scrolls, there was a six year gap between Daggerfall and Morrowind, and a 5 year gap between Oblivion and Skyrim. That's why there was a big update graphically (if not artistically). If they released Skyrim2013, the graphics would look pretty much the same as Skyrim2011. But, what the fuck does having "THE SEQUEL" grafix have to do with anything?

A bit of polish is all you need to make an old machine shine; what's going on under the hood is what matters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or you can pull a Dragon Age II and shift your art style into a radically different direction in a short period of time to the appeal of almost no one. :P

Aenra

Notes of the odd passerby..

- A dumbfuck with not one, or two, but three tags can still have a 1/2 fist ratio. Codex's true(tm) nature in all its glory (for the retards among you, and you are Legion, this is irony)
- A W2 and Numenera fanboy (and notice the irony, one has yet to even launch) talks about bad graphics.. when said games have a distinct, immediately apparent lack of a solid artistic direction (for the retards among you, read again, am not talking about my finding their graphic approach palatable or otherwise, am talking about lack of cohesion)
- After a ton of updates explaining things, an obvious need for said graphics and a heavy emphasis on mechanics/improved lore people still talk about the graphikz. Even if all they cared about was criticism, there are a million things Larian does wrong which they could focus on. But Codex be Codex

Lacrymas

Arcane
If only graphics made a sequel great we would be swimming in greatness and bliss. We've discussed the problems of D:OS extensively and they appear to be listening and trying. Even if the writing turns out shit again I'd be happy if they fixed the numerous little annoyances that add up over time (especially RNG loot, non-existent role-playing and pathetic difficulty). I still hope MCA will have enough influence to whip the other writers into shape though.

Anyway nobody said if this is still in or not -

We're also introducing Skill Crafting, a new mechanic that lets you combine different skills and spells to create powerful new ones. With skill crafting, you can mix a “silence" spell with a “summon spider” spell to make a “summon stealth spider” spell. A “rain" spell combined with a “grease" spell yields a “grease rain” spell. (By the way, wet grease explodes if it comes in contact with fire. Just another elemental bang to ruin your enemy's day.) And you can mix bleeding spells like "lacerate" with a "rain" spell to summon a tempest of blood.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Or you can pull a Dragon Age II and shift your art style into a radically different direction in a short period of time to the appeal of almost no one. :P
That's a change in art direction, not a graphical 'update', and the former is usually--but not always--more contested than the latter (and leads players to conclude things like: Sten and his friends were just some big human with skin disorders pretending to be a Qunari).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's a change in art direction, not a graphical 'update', and the former is usually--but not always--more contested than the latter (and leads players to conclude things like: Sten and his friends were just some big human with skin disorders pretending to be a Qunari).

Hornless Qunari exist in Dragon Age Inquisition, you can be one yourself. :M

Kaivokz

Arcane

Hornless Qunari exist in Dragon Age Inquisition, you can be one yourself. :M
FXB0fob.jpg

Identical. :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
I only hope those designs are actually instructional manuals on how to continue writing this game, addressed to the other writers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom