Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
There's a new armor/magic armor system. Physical skills deplete armor, while magical attacks destroy your magic armor. Some characters have one or both, depending on where their affinities lie. The armor protects you from debilitating effects like Fear, so getting rid of your opponents' armor should be your first step.
Damn, that's very similar to what I'm using in my own vaporware. Now my shield system will inevitably be nothing more than a boring pale copy of D:OS2 system instead of a fun twist.
:0-13:

SniperHF

Arcane
Damn, that's very similar to what I'm using in my own vaporware. Now my shield system will inevitably be nothing more than a boring pale copy of D:OS2 system instead of a fun twist.

Don't worry too much, if it goes anything like D:OS 1 they'll change it 3-4 times before full release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So does your armor regenerate after each battle or is there some rote repair garbage you have to do every time?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
ddnP6f5.png

DraQ

Arcane
Why the fuck would using skills damage your armor?

Even if their goals are ultimately gamist, they should go away from totally dissociated bullshit, because it actively interferes with player's ability to understand stuff on instinctive level and properly utilize hidden mechanics, like being able to prevent exploskeletons from exploding by dousing them with water.

If player is conditioned that things don't make sense in game, they won't attempt things that would make sense in their eyes, because they won't expect them to work unless the stat-block says so explicitly.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

I can safely say that chess is more engaging than this bullshit,oh my lord what a fucking sludge of a battle.

And the visuals are so cheap and every spell looks so bombastic and has so many unnecessary visual effects,making it look like a cheap jrpg.

I don't see this game having the same "success'' as the first one,unless they really hiked up in the writing department.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Unless they give me some sort of slider to improve the combat speed by a fucking ton,I'm not seeing myself buying this shit.After playing the first one and having to endure waves of fucking mushrooms and skeletons I just can't do it anymore Jose,it's way too fucking slow and boring.

The reward is just not there,the writing sucked and the loot variety was mundane as fuck.

They really need have an option to speed up the combat like HOMM or it's a fucking bust so fuck you and your pretentious bullshitism.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK so you didn't like the first one. Don't expect to like the second one much more.
But bashing the graphics or combat in D:OS 2 as if we have other TB RPGs with better.... what can I say, I again urge you to show them to me.

Btw I don't care about the PvP part at all, I'm not going to play it more than a couple of times for fun...if at all.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One of the biggest problems of D:OS was the combat speed, every round simply took too long, every animation, it was a pain in the ass, especially in big battles.

I really hope they have an speed slider, or significantly improve it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1561387

We’re almost over our jet lag and settling back to work after an awesome time with you guys at PAX. Thanks a million to those who came to say hi and try the game. Your feedback, enthusiasm, and kind words really fuel our fires!

For this who couldn't make it, here’s what happened and what we showed to the Pax crowd:

What the PAXers saw:
  • New combat mechanics, including ultra-powerful Source skills powered by Source Points-- which you can obtain through fair or truly foul means.
  • Height gameplay, including added damage and range bonuses when attacking from on high (flying Margaret, anyone?).
  • New surface interactions in which you can Bless and Curse existing surfaces in order to help or hurt your fellow combatants.
  • A brand new armor system featuring Magical and Physical armor.

Clash of the Titans

In the past year, our visits to various conventions have been marked by one particular event: PC Gamer’s Tom Marks, in his terrible hubris, challenges studio founder and creative director Swen Vincke to a match of his own game. And… well… Tom wins every time. Like, every ... time.
Check out their PAX showdown in full over at PC Gamer.
But beware, Tom Marks: They say luck comes in threes…

And by the by, where should we send your trophy?

Pick a skill tree: We have a winner!

You guys voted, and the results are in: Divinity: Original Sin 2 will feature a Summoning Masterskill tree! These skills will allow you to call to convene help-- mundane and otherworldly-- in battle.

Here are the results:

- Summoning Master - 1709 votes
- Bard - 1285 votes
- Alchemist - 557 votes
- Unarmed Combatant - 433 votes
- Guardian - 413 votes
- Juggernaut - 408 votes
- Trap Master - 197 votes

The word is in

Plenty of press paid us a visit at PAX, and their reports have rolled out. Their enthusiasm is highly encouraging, to say the least and matches what we heard from players. Now rest assured - while all the reports are about combat and PVP because that's what we showed - we do have a massive campaign too. We'll start revealing details about that in the coming months. But for now, it's good to see that the changes in the combat system are being well received.

US Gamer
“...Larian isn't a studio to relax though, so they've expanded on the games' combat this time around. There's a new armor/magic armor system. Physical skills deplete armor, while magical attacks destroy your magic armor. Some characters have one or both, depending on where their affinities lie. The armor protects you from debilitating effects like Fear, so getting rid of your opponent's armor should be your first step.”

Destructoid
“If I had to make a list of things that I wouldn't care to have in Divinity: Original Sin 2, a PvP mode would probably be at the top of that list. But you know what? It was actually pretty good!”

MMORPG
“The first thing that strikes you is the battlefield. The team has introduced a much more robust terrain and movement system that rewards the player for taking advantage of positioning, and especially verticality. Taking the high ground results in a plethora of advantages, including extended range on your spells and ranged attacks, and improved vision and visibility. Included in each of the characters in our skirmish were a fairly wide variety of spells and attacks, and each character has at least one movement spell, allowing for quick maneuvering around the battlefield. Characters could also secure and consume Source puddles on the battlefield that could then be used to power much greater spells and powers. The battlefield was also strewn with explosives and acids and other detrimental effects that could be triggered by hapless players upon themselves, or by wise tacticians to wreak havoc upon their foes.”

PC Gamer
“Swen came ready to fight this time, and I'll admit I was really nervous. We shook hands before, and Swen looked me in the eyes and said "I'm not going to lose this time" with a confidence that made me genuinely believe him. Reworked abilities, a new height system, blessed and cursed terrain, and a whole lot of other changes meant I would need to learn quickly. He even brought tissues with "PC Gamer exclusive" written on them in Sharpie, saying they were "for my tears" after I lose. He wasn't messing around, and members of both our offices were watching as we loaded into the arena.”

Gamespot
“Multiplayer isn't what comes to mind when I think of Divinity, which was GameSpot's PC game of the year in 2014. I think of well written dialogue. I think of engaging characters. I think of long adventures across dangerous lands. But because of the team's towering Kickstarter campaign, Original Sin II is becoming more than just a single-player RPG, complete with what seems to be a nuanced multiplayer component. That means there will be more ways to experiment with the game's complex combat when it releases. And that's not a bad thing.”

gameinformer
“Divinity: Original Sin II's Competitive Multiplayer Might Be My New Addiction. I've always been fascinated with tabletop miniatures. Unfortunately, cost and time get in the way of painting and longer session wargaming. As a result, I'm always on the lookout for experiences that capture the miniature gaming ethos without the physical version's high investment.”

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
“...Larian isn't a studio to relax though, so they've expanded on the games' combat this time around. There's a new armor/magic armor system. Physical skills deplete armor, while magical attacks destroy your magic armor. Some characters have one or both, depending on where their affinities lie. The armor protects you from debilitating effects like Fear, so getting rid of your opponent's armor should be your first step.”
That's actually interesting, in OS you could easily cheese your way through almost every fight through CC locks, now you'll have to break magic/physical armour first.
“Multiplayer isn't what comes to mind when I think of Divinity, which was GameSpot's PC game of the year in 2014. I think of well written dialogue. I think of engaging characters. I think of long adventures across dangerous lands. But because of the team's towering Kickstarter campaign, Original Sin II is becoming more than just a single-player RPG, complete with what seems to be a nuanced multiplayer component. That means there will be more ways to experiment with the game's complex combat when it releases. And that's not a bad thing.”
:retarded:

Sjukob

Arcane
- Alchemist - 557 votes
- Unarmed Combatant - 433 votes
Fuck you ! Why the fuck did people vote for summoning master ?! Can't Larian just implement summoning spells like they were in D:OS ?!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did people ask for a pvp mode? Never seen it mention ever myself, but what do I know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The important thing is that they're refining the combat mechanics. The PvP is just an excuse to show them off (and a way to test them)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom