Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #67: Enhanced Edition Officially Announced

DeepOcean

Arcane
(Wonder if they'll ever change their mind about that. Or just go straight to tablet. :smug:)
If Obsidian did a console version of PoE but revamped every single combat encounter to make PoE a decent game I wouldn't mind that at all.:smug:

I hope "fully voiced" means a lot of dialogue will be trimmed. From initial version of D:OS and little I played of POE I'm coming to really dislike all the amazing freedom RPG writers get when they ditch full VO. Fuck these bloated boring dialogues. It is completely unnatural and kills the pacing for me.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Guess Larian is slowly going into the same path once walked by Bethesda.
I still remember the bad feelings I had when Morrowind was announced for Xbox.

Only one man remains stalwart. One man who refuses to walk the dark path of consolization.

JS: Because it is PC-focused, we can say Mouse and Keyboard. Yes. You play the game this way. Someone asked about consoles last time, I said "$&$^&# no." You're not going to do that.

:troll:

(Wonder if they'll ever change their mind about that. Or just go straight to tablet. :smug:)
We all know how much worth Mr. Killjoy's promises have.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I hope "fully voiced" means a lot of dialogue will be trimmed. From initial version of D:OS and little I played of POE I'm coming to really dislike all the amazing freedom RPG writers get when they ditch full VO. Fuck these bloated boring dialogues. It is completely unnatural and kills the pacing for me.
:?:|

Zeriel

Arcane

Yes because great writing in games means that every other NPC must be a fucking blabbermouth. Writing in DKS is way more fun. And it's fully voiced, what a coincidence.

catfood

AGAIN
I actually kinda agree with Multidirectional . More writing does not equal better writing. We can all agree that PST had both quantity and quality. We can also agree that BG had the quantity but did not have the quality. If the writing is going to be shit (just like in all of the other Divinity games) I'd rather have it be trimmed down than have to read all of the boring ass crap that is present in DOS.

Seems pretty obvious to me that sometimes the cost of VO as a limiting factor for dialogue in games is an actual positive influence on some writers. Remember the old one about limits enhancing creativity?

JasonNH

Augur
I think the split screen co-op is going to be a big deal. I'll be picking this up for PS4 for sure. I'm always looking for stuff that would be fun to play with the kids on the console but so few games have local co-op, and even fewer are remotely interesting. This is going to fun, I hope it does well. Larian is one of the few developers I trust making a move to consoles. I mean, this snippet from Swen's blog post captures much of why that is:

"When we shipped D:OS my initial feeling was – that’s it, I never want to see D:OS again after having risked pretty much everything for it and having woken up with the monster it is for years. But then the feedback came in together with criticism I thought was correct, and I started wondering what it’d take to fix it. And I wasn’t alone. Most in our team had the same feeling and wanted to improve things further."

The important thing is that Swen is still making games he wants to play and feels good about. So long as that continues, I don't think being multi-platform is a problem.

Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Today we are very excited to announce Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition for PS4 and Xbox One as well as PC, Mac, SteamOS and Linux.
(...)
There's no release date for the Enhanced Edition yet, but perhaps we'll learn that at E3 next month. Note that the EE is not one of the two RPGs that Larian is known to be working on, so we're getting that and two additional Larian games. What a year!​

Yeah yeah consoles schmonsoles

So any Linux version...when? :hmmm:

imweasel

Sounds great, I am really looking forward to the EE. The perfect opportunity for a second playthrough. :)

What remains to be seen is how the UI will be, as apparently the PC and the console versions will use the same UI...
I can already see this thread on the Codex if D:OS EE doesn't have a proper PC UI:
D:OS EE suffers from major consolitis! Swen sold out to console peasants! :outrage: :ehue: :killit::1/5::rage:

Yeah, don't do that Swen. It wouldn't be pretty.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, related to what Crooked Bee said, this whole thing kind of rubs me the wrong way...

Plowing money into full VO? Console version? What are they doing? Presumedly Swen now has enough of a cash cushion to make some small mistakes, but it all seems unneccessary. All this stuff is tangential to the reasons for their success, and in some cases completely counter (they succeeded because they serviced their niche, there is no turn-based RPG niche on consoles, that shit is going to crash and burn).

I'm sure I'll still enjoy their future games, but it seems like they're shifting away from what I considered cool about them and the new kickstarted RPGs in general (less of an emphasis on VO so you can have more content, et cetera).

Maybe the VO is just part and parcel of making a console version, that market really can't stand reading for more obvious technical reasons like TV size.

Nothing to worry, its like back to the golden era, computer games were ported to consoles and had reworked graphics and interface, VO Full motion video added, as it was the thing back then.D:Os is still pc game for pc gamers, we can only hope they make lot of cash from consoles peasants and we get a fantastic new game soon on the pc.More cash to larian, bigger and better rpgs for us .
As for the Vo its mandatory on the mass market no one read anymore, if you play online a microphone is mandatory no one wants to type except elderlies like me.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
As for the Vo its mandatory on the mass market no one read anymore, if you play online a microphone is mandatory no one wants to type except elderlies like me.

That's why there are guilds for the elderly which prohibit the use of voice chat ;)

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
OMG, they kill the RPG Codex troll and announce a console version! I feel so betrayed right now. :cry:

Seriously now, this is a very clever move IMHO. If nu-gen console fags are buying all the remasters & enhanced editions because they have nothing else to play, giving them an enhanced edition of a game that was PC exclusive until now will certainly lead to A LOT of sales, especially being a unique multiplayer RPG with couch co-op and tons of awards. Larian will spend a tiny fraction of what would take to develop a new game, yet will probably get way more sales than the ~1M they got so far. And whatever then can milk from console gamers will go into their next RPGs.

What remains to be seen is how the UI will be, as apparently the PC and the console versions will use the same UI...

That's a bummer :\

m_s0

Arcane
An interface designed with gamepads in mind is exactly the kind of enhancement I want in my mouse-controlled PC game.

FFS, Swen.

SniperHF

Arcane
Yeah unified interfaces tend to be bad. But the current one isn't exactly stellar either.

I wonder if the Enhanced Edition reworks those pixel hunt switch puzzles.

Gicusan

Educated
All this talk about Divinity and bad writing. Bleah. There is some writing that is not great in there but I like their style. Not all RPGs have to be bleak. I enjoy some european humor (maybe because i am one) and I like their rithm. Some polish on it would be welcomed but there are a lot of "serious" RPG out there - PoE is an example - and this change of pace is good. Keep it going guys and let your writers know there are some fans of their witty writing. At least when it is witty and out of the box.

I cant wait for a second run at Original Sin this summer/autumn. And I am also looking forward to learn more about the other 2 projects. Hearing both are turn based is really good also. Playing PoE made me realize that my rtwp days are over.

PS.
I also think that unified UI for the 2 platforms is a bad idea. At least keep and improve the current one for PC version and make what you want on the console. As far as we are concerned, console UI can be as retarded as you want/need as we dont really care about it as long as it makes you money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom