Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
No, they want to hire a female violinist. Celebrity or not.

Tootsie+%2528Dustin+Hoffman%2529.jpg

Data4

Arcane

Pfft. Look for their version of Dazed & Confused. Unfortunately, the audio quality is kinda crappy, but the guitar work is great. She's fucking channeling Page, and he ain't even dead yet.

The lead singer's no longer with them, btw. New girl sucks.

EDIT-- Saw there were two videos on YT, one with the new and one with the old singer. This is the one you want.

The other is... a really bad decision on the part of the band. Ugh!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pfft. Look for their version of Dazed & Confused. Unfortunately, the audio quality is kinda crappy, but the guitar work is great. She's fucking channeling Page, and he ain't even dead yet.

The lead singer's no longer with them, btw. New girl sucks.

EDIT-- Saw there were two videos on YT, one with the new and one with the old singer. This is the one you want.

The other is... a really bad decision on the part of the band. Ugh!

Pretty amazing guitarist.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Felicia Day DLC confirmed for Divinity: Original Sin. Quest all around the world with your new companion. Features exclusive romance options. Every gamer's dream, only $9.99.

You actually can't fuck Felecia Day in that Dragon Age 2 DLC. What a rip-off!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
From someone who knows how to play guitar... she's not that good. All those fast licks are the most basic classic rock bits you'll ever hear and that any guitarist worth his/her salt can do sleeping. Her timing needs work. Weak technique, especially on bends. Playing with a bow is a cool gimmick but it's not that hard.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
From someone who knows how to play guitar... she's not that good. All those fast licks are the most basic classic rock bits you'll ever hear and that any guitarist worth his/her salt can do sleeping. Her timing needs work. Weak technique, especially on bends. Playing with a bow is a cool gimmick but it's not that hard.

Not being a guitar player, I wasn't sure about that video either. So after many years I looked up Steve Vai. When I was a kid, the only thing I saw of him was an album or two. Now he has a Youtube channel and gives guitar/life lessons, like some kind of eastern guru. lol

Some young people get caught up in the competitive aspects of music, but they are wasting their time. IMO originality/style/soul, is what really sets you apart as an artist. If you haven't developed that, all the technical tricks in the world won't make a difference. You'll just be another face in the crowd.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
composing music will get you attention, not just playing.
unless, of course, you have a pair of cans and a cute face.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Some young people get caught up in the competitive aspects of music, but they are wasting their time. IMO originality/style/soul, is what really sets you apart as an artist. If you haven't developed that, all the technical tricks in the world won't make a difference. You'll just be another face in the crowd.
Although you're somewhat correct, usually being a highly advanced player with lots of technical skill means you will have decent grasp of theory and composition; you don't put in the tens of thousands of hours of practice required to get good at the instrument without picking that stuff up - people who don't have the passion or interest in it don't get that far.

Technical skill also lets you stand out in a crowd. A phenomenal player who has mastery of advanced techniques will turn heads far more than one who is solid but unremarkable. The success happens, usually in a band - but getting into the company of other good musicians often requires the technical talent. It sure doesn't hurt.

Success in broader terms usually depends on a lot of things: luck, physical attractiveness, exposure, marketing, and most importantly, genre. You won't become a huge star if your passion is for a style of music which isn't huge already. Furthermore, competition matters. We all know the classic musicians of the last 60 years, even if we've never heard of them, because they were innovators in an industry that was fertile; their successes, not to diminish them, were easier because there was more room for new ideas

But now that genres and styles are so well established and there are more musicians out there than ever before all using the available media to promote themselves, the idea of a "legendary" musician may no longer exist. Every time a new one rises, the possibility to innovate gets smaller and smaller. There is never going to be another Steve Vai again because Steve Vai has already been done, and the same goes for Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Malmsteen, etc.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Wasn't the last guitar innovation Jimmy Hendrix's use of distortion and feedback ? (other things aside), I read there's been nothing new since then.

The same goes for Biscuits, there hasn't been an innovation in a biscuit since about 1940.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
sea
I look at guys like BB King. He can play, he can jam, but isn't that good technically. He is uneducated, he can't read a note of music, yet you recognize him anywhere. No one ever gave him anything and he certainly isn't good looking. So IMO you can't go to school and learn that kind of thing. You are either born with it, or you cultivate it somehow. I wouldn't know, perhaps it really is just talent.

sea
I look at guys like BB King. He can play, he can jam, but isn't that good technically. He is uneducated, he can't read a note of music, yet you recognize him anywhere. No one ever gave him anything and he certainly isn't good looking. So IMO you can't go to school and learn that kind of thing. You are either born with it, or you cultivate it somehow. I wouldn't know, perhaps it really is just talent.

Excellent observation. I tend to agree.

One thing I've been wondering about is exactly how turn order is going to be determined in this game. Obviously a speed or agility stat will probably determine the order in which people take their actions in a given turn, but if you're fast enough will you be able to make two actions per a slow enemy's one?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
sea

Here is one interesting read http://www.answers.com/topic/hasil-adkins

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Came for divinity original sin. Got faggots talking about guitarists. Take that shit to general discussion along with the feminist crap in the project eternity thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom