Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you like Biowarian games?

Do you like their games?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Self fisting is awesome (KC option).

• Total voters

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I didn't even like BG2, and it was probably my first "real" RPG. Just didn't get the appeal, only good thing about it was the encounter design (let down by dogshit battle system) and arguably the "epic" scope.

Phelot

Arcane
I enjoyed the BG games, even though looking back they are very Biowarian. Now I just can't stand their games. I hate their stories for not breaking their molds and for always being safe.

DA:O is the last Bioware game I tried. NEVAR AGAIN!

Deleted member 7219

The only Bioware RPGs I didnt like were the BG series. NWN was good for its mods, although HotU was great too. I really like the direction they've been going since KOTOR, with things like JE and ME.

bonescraper

Matt7895 said:
The only Bioware RPGs I didnt like were the BG series. NWN was good for its mods, although HotU was great too. I really like the direction they've been going since KOTOR, with things like JE and ME.
DIE.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I didn't even like BG2, and it was probably my first "real" RPG. Just didn't get the appeal, only good thing about it was the encounter design (let down by dogshit battle system) and arguably the "epic" scope.

elder turds

hoochimama

Liturgist
Liked them all enough to finish them except for the NWN1 OC, that one was just irredeemable.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hm, I'd say that Morrowind is better than most Bio games"

Bullshitz.

"No moral ambiguity, streamlined dialogue options, popamole combat, stereotypical characters, flavour C&C, all that romance bullshit... and the list goes on."

Bullshitz.

"their stories for not breaking their molds and for always being safe."

Bullshitz.

Black Cat

Magister
I don't.

It's not that they are bad, though. I usually like them at the begining, play for a while, kill stuff. I don't really care for plot on videogames so their stories and recicled characters don't really bother me, and I actually like some of them for being, basicaly, polished versions of the same characters we have been meeting on role playing games since the begining of time, or lightweight versions of characters from books and the like.

Then one day i can't make myself start the game and complete it, and next time there's a new scene release i uninstall them to make space for the download.

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet, so maybe that'll change my opinion of them for the better, since i don't really care whether the final boss is ridiculous or not as long as the game is fun and cool. Given how totally unfun and uncool Mass Effect 1 was, though, i'm not betting on it. I should try it soon, anyway, those two DVDs and all the DLC are just taking space otherwise.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I'll likely always have a fondness for the Baldur's Gate games. Despite their shortcomings, they were the first CRPGs that I can say I really "got" and that's an experience that we all probably have and deem special (though the game will undoubtedly vary).

After that? NWN never did anything for me. I enjoyed KotOR, but I think I enjoyed it more as a Star Wars fan than as a gamer. DA:O I pretty much despised for a variety of reasons, though it did have some high points. I could never get into Jade Empire, there was just something about it that didn't sit right with me. The first Mass Effect I can pretty much take or leave, but I did get a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of the sequel.

So that's a majority of their games that I have enjoyed, so I guess yes?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"No moral ambiguity, streamlined dialogue options, popamole combat, stereotypical characters, flavour C&C, all that romance bullshit... and the list goes on."

Bullshitz.

So you're saying there's moral ambiguity, the dialog options don't most of the time lead down two paths (faggy do-gooder and mentally challenged evil), the combat isn't popamole, the characters aren't stereotypes, the choices actually have consequences and there is no bullshit romance?

Hmm. I sense a big fucking liar.

"their stories for not breaking their molds and for always being safe."

Bullshitz.

Which story was breaking their mold and didn't play safe?

visions

Arcane
@ FTR: You've been here for 2 years, yet you're still trying to argue with Volly over this? :lol:

As for the topic, I like Bg1, thought Kotor was okay, NWN was disappointing. Haven't played their other games, although I've had a physical copy of BG2 for approx. 5 years now. Think I should try it someday, but can't be arsed in the near future.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like the Ass Effect series despite all their well known faults. I liked KOTOR and JE. Didn't really get into NWN no matter how often I tried. BG games I like. Haven't really started DA:O yet.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, depends on the individual games, really. Haven't given the Mass Effects a proper chance yet, too many unskippable cutscenes for my tastes. Dragon Age was fun but I never touched any of the DLCs except the first two which came out on release because there was so much filler combat I got sick of it after one playthrough. I liked BG2 a lot, I enjoyed KotoR although I didn't finish it, Jade Empire was good for what it is...

They're nothing special and usually I get bored of them halfway through, but they're good for what they are.

darkling

Educated
I've hated Bioware since I wasted like 80 bucks on Baldur's Gate!

BG1 and 2 were bland. They took a bland, underdeveloped area of the Forgotten Realms and made it even blander and forgettable. I never played Jade Empire. KotOR was almost okay, despite being Star Wars, but I never finished it. NWN was pretty much dreadful except for user mods. ME was bland. DAO was so awful I felt offended. ME2 I didn't play because I was so angry at DAO.

These jerks have been dragging the genre down since they formed. They must hate RPGs, hate games and hate fun. They also hate coherent writing and NPC's that aren't insane caricature douchebags who you can occasionally fuck. They hate us all and won't stop until they've taken all our money and time (or just time, if we refuse to give them money) and made us hollow shells of men, posting on forums about how horrible they are for thoroughly destroying one of our favorite pastimes.

Achilles

Arcane
I liked some of their games, but since they've decided to stop making these and go full retard, I'm gonna have to say no.

Edit: Shit, it's a stalemate so far. So much for the hivemind theory.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. ME2 to some extent, but mostly not. DA: O, which was supposed to be a story driven cRPG, had the worst realized fantasy world and characters in any bio game.

Klaz

Scholar
Do Bioware games do anything well?

Only time I had any fun with them was with NWN 1 modules.

Deleted member 7219

bonescraper said:
Matt7895 said:
DIE.

I forgot Dragon Age. That is pretty much what NWN should have been; a proper RPG. Could have done with a bit more choice in the story, though.

Vibalist

Arcane
The thing that fucks every Bioware game up and, for some inexplicable reason is rarely mentioned in any review, is the gameplay. Sometimes the story and setting in Bio games are good, sometimes bad, but almost all Bio games have one thing in common, which is terrible combat. Seeing as combat is what you do 90 percent of the time, none of their games really deserve the 80-90 scores they all get, irrespective of story, setting, atmosphere and all that. But whatever.

I can't say I'm a big fan of their products, despite owning most of them. Most of them are interesting enough from a storytelling and character perspective, but they are so boring to play inbetween the dialogue/choices parts. It just boggles the mind how many Bio fans are fans only because they like the writing and choices and characters. This seems to be all that Bio are decent at, so why not just make Heavy Rain type games instead and do away with the shitty gameplay that's been there since NWN? Why do they release games where they've spent the least time developing the thing you do the most, namely the bloody combat?

Ancient

Erudite
All of you play BioWare games and most of you enjoy playing them.

But still many won't admit that they like ém :roll:

ELITISTS get over it come out of the closet :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom